Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starkey: Tomlinís deal intriguing

Pro Bowler

Re: Starkey: Tomlinís deal intriguing

I like Tomlin and hope he's here for over a decade and the Steelers are kicking a$$. But then I would have literally bet my life they wouldn't lose to the Chiefs, Browns, and Raiders last year....

You just never know. I neither think nor expect it to happen but what if he has 2 more years like last season? You think Art keeps him around?

And Starkey specifically says "I think he's up to the challenge" so how much hate can he have?

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL
    This is garbage article. Even Cowher typically signed 2 years extensions.
    Fact he did this a couple of times if I recall. This is Steelers way of doing business
    with HC. Nothing new here.
    Don't bring up facts when the "Tomlin-haters" need something to help them recover from the fact he will be here until 2013.
    Actually, he got 3 year extensions with two years left, until the last one.

I'm glad that everybody was so happy with last season. I'm sorry, but I hated watching the Steelers lose to the Chiefs, Browns, Raiders, et. al down the stretch. If that makes me a hater, so be it, but I'd rather not watch that and then have to listen to empty promises and meaningless cliches for the next decade.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Fact he did this a couple of times if I recall. This is Steelers way of doing business
    Don't bring up facts when the "Tomlin-haters" need something to help them recover from the fact he will be here until 2013.

I'm glad that everybody was so happy with last season. I'm sorry, but I hated watching the Steelers lose to the Chiefs, Browns, Raiders, et. al down the stretch. If that makes me a hater, so be it, but I'd rather not watch that and then have to listen to empty promises and meaningless cliches for the next decade.
    BC talked a good game and made a lot of promises he subsequently failed to deliver on. They sure kept him around for a long time. Why would it be any different for Tomlin? 3 seasons, 2 AFCN titles and one SB championship.

The statement "it's hard to win in the NFL" is not a cliche. Anyone can have a bad season.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    Tomlin isnt going anywhere until he decides he is ready to leave. Sorry haters
    ok

so, uranut2.

ohhh.

burn.. you got me.

I'm a hater... wooooo!!!!

uranut2 was genius.

why would my declaration make you respond in the first place unless it's true.

I feel like I'm in the junior high cafeteria right now...

I'm rubber, you're glue...

Legend

Maybe we should look at the Defensive Coord as the problem. His defense lost 4 of those games because of his inability to make adjustments. Talk about a deer in the headlight. Four wins and we have a 13 win season. Sorry...I forgot we are not allowed to discuss that so we need to blame the HC because he isn't going to a party in Canton in a couple of weeks.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend

who was happy? you can't put all that at Tomlin's feet. Even if you can... it makes no sense to put Tomlin on notice when we all watched our D collapse every 4th quarter.

Just to play the devil's advocate with you Philly, couldn't you also look at the last three games (all wins) and give Tomlin credit for not allowing the team to quit? Just sayin.. :P

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by papillon

Just to play the devil's advocate with you Philly, couldn't you also look at the last three games (all wins) and give Tomlin credit for not allowing the team to quit? Just sayin.. :P

Pappy
    Tomlin can win 2 more Super Bowls and some will still "doubt" him because they never wanted him to begin with.

Ultimately Head Coaches are responsible but don't ignore why we lost 5 games last year and what part of the team failed.

I agree that keeping this team going at the end of the season is something that is a big positive that is conveniently ignored. Even with the failure on the defensive side of the ball it took tie breakers to keep us out of the play offs.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by papillon

Pappy
    Tomlin can win 2 more Super Bowls and some will still "doubt" him because they never wanted him to begin with.

Ultimately Head Coaches are responsible but don't ignore why we lost 5 games last year and what part of the team failed.

I agree that keeping this team going at the end of the season is something that is a big positive that is conveniently ignored. Even with the failure on the defensive side of the ball it took tie breakers to keep us out of the play offs.
    And, the devil's advocate to our story here is, had the offense done better during the first three quarters the defense wouldn't have been defending a less than 7 point lead often enough to allow one late score win the game. Last year just plain old sucked in general, mostly because the expectations were high.

As far as I was concerned or could tell, none of the players became disgruntled, none of the players pointed fingers during the losing streak and they won three games at the end of the season to stay in the hunt.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Legend

[quote=ANPSTEEL]
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":1mhmhwr1
    Starkey is such a hater. Hey Starkey, maybe the Steelers wanted a longer deal but were offering less per year and Tomlin's side said, "How about a shorter deal at those terms?"

Duh....

uranut.
    Why? Because I pointed out something that could be a possibility? That's all Starkey did...except I didn't take the negative view like Starkey always does. And I don't write for a newspaper.

Other than that I did the same thing...came up with a possible reason for why the deal was done the way it was and for the length it was done for.

Don't get mad at me just because you're a Tomlin fence sitter and now the post from the fence you're sitting on is wedged somewhere that's not comfortable for you.

Tomlin's done a fine job here (I have realistic expectations unlike most fans) and I'd be absolutely shocked if he wasn't Steelers HC for at least 10 years.
    ok- maybe so.

There are a few out there- ok, maybe more than a few- who can not be objective about the Steelers under any circumstances.

If you take off the Homer Goggles and look at this- analytically - you can see it for what it is.

The team has a coach that they made a significant investment in. The team is not prone to knee jerk reactions.

The coach has been tremendously successful

and

The coach has been pretty flipping bad

The organization recognizes both of these facets.

They also recognize that this season may be over before it begins - due to Ben's suspension- and thus may not be able to make a legitimate evaluation based upon this season.

They also recognize that next season may be shot as well.

So- they structured a contract that would allow them to further evaluate the coach- and minimize their financial exposure should that evaluation go bad.

Tomlin has 2010 (which he had under contract anyway)
    Whatever transpires for 2011 - which would appear to be almost certainly something less than a full season.
    and 2012-

I am not trying to be negative about this.

I want Tomlin to succeed.

I just recognize this for what it almost certainly is-

The team is hedging their bet.[/quote:1mhmhwr1]

I have homer goggles on because I said that Starkey almost always writes from the negative position???

I didn't say he was wrong and I didn't say I was right...all I said is he almost always takes whatever the negative, doom and gloom position is and makes that his story. That's a fact.

But for the record I do not believe the Steelers are hedging their bet. I believe it is business as usual for them. The Rooney family has been in the NFL a long time and they know how hard it is to win in this league. They aren't in any hurry to cut Tomlin loose.