Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Polamalu's uncle leaves Titans to join USC coaching staff

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: Polamalu's uncle leaves Titans to join USC coaching staff

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5411727

Titans sue Kiffin, USC over Pola hire
    ESPN.com news services
    Updated: July 26, 2010, 5:58 PM ET

The Tennessee Titans have sued Southern California and its new coach Lane Kiffin after the school hired away Kennedy Pola.

Pola was hired as running backs coach of the Titans in January but left to become the Trojans offensive coordinator over the weekend. The lawsuit, filed Monday in Davidson County Chancery Court, claims that Kiffin "maliciously" interfered with Pola's contract with the NFL team in inducing him to leave.

The newspaper reports that the lawsuit claims: "as a result of USC and Kiffin's tortuous conduct, Tennessee [Titans] football has been damaged in an amount proven at trial."

Titans coach Jeff Fisher was not happy with Kiffin's role in Pola's departure.

"I am very disappointed in Lane Kiffin's approach to this," Fisher said on Saturday, according to the Tennessean. "Typically speaking when coaches are interested in hiring or discussing potential employment from coaches on respective staffs there is a courtesy call made from the head coach or athletic director indicating there is an interest in talking to the assistant.

"So I am very disappointed in the lack of professionalism on behalf of Lane, to call me and leave me a voice mail after Kennedy had informed me he had taken the job. It is just a lack of professionalism."

Kiffin is not popular in the state of Tennessee. He left the state university after only one year to coach USC.

Kiffin disputed that he stole away Pola, who coached running backs and special teams at USC from 2000-03.

"We reached out to Kennedy Pola [Friday] to gauge whether he had any possible interest in returning to USC before we moved forward with the process," Kiffin said in a statement released by USC.

"Kennedy said he would think about it and get back to us [Saturday]. Once Kennedy did call back earlier [Saturday], out of my great respect for Coach Fisher I immediately reached out to Coach to make him aware of the situation. I have spoken with Coach Fisher and he now has an accurate understanding of the timeline of events.

"We realize the timing of this isn't perfect for all parties, but this is a great opportunity and promotion for Kennedy."

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by jj28west
    Isnt there also some type of connection between Tomlin & Kiffin? I could swear I saw these two caught on camera at some party together.
    Tomlin was on the same defensive staff as Lane's father Monte in Tampa for several years. Lane brought his Dad to the University of Tennessee to be his defensive coordinator. Tomlin visited his old friend Monte and checked out some of the Vols' prospects while he was there. There were pictures of Tomlin and Lane Kiffin at a party during that visit. Tomlin drinking out of a red plastic Solo cup with coeds mingling around doesn't exactly look good (Ben-like decision making ).

So you can't drink out of red Solo cups anymore if you want to be a respected public figure?

Kiffin knows Pola can appeal to the Polynesian prospects in Southern Cali and beyond...

* And yeah, that's a helluva combover for Monte.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Hall of Famer

I actually like this (sue Kiffin, USC)... Not because I like Jeff Fisher, or anything about the Titans... But BECAUSE I hate Lane Kiffin, and think he's an eventual detriment to USC, which is a team I do like... Hopefully, this will just "shorten" the leash that Haden has on the little punk, and get him fired even sooner...

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    I actually like this (sue Kiffin, USC)... Not because I like Jeff Fisher, or anything about the Titans... But BECAUSE I hate Lane Kiffin, and think he's an eventual detriment to USC, which is a team I do like... Hopefully, this will just "shorten" the leash that Haden has on the little punk, and get him fired even sooner...
    Is Troy's Uncle without blame?

I can't understand the Lane Kiffin thing... what has this guy done to be coveted by so many people? Is he a genius? If his name was Lane Morgan would he have a job?

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Is Troy's Uncle without blame?

I can't understand the Lane Kiffin thing... what has this guy done to be coveted by so many people? Is he a genius? If his name was Lane Morgan would he have a job?

Troy's uncle should share a lot of blame here to...there are certain unwritten rules you should follow in life and this is one of them. You can't just leave an employer hanging 1 week before camp starts and only 6 months into a new gig, simple ethics are involved here. He should be lynched too....Lane just happens to be a big jerk and deserves what he's getting...in a way this just raised Al Davis' respect level to a negative 1799 instead of negative 1800 in my book
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Legend

Heard Petros Papadakis talking about this today. He revealed that this has Haden's fingerprints all over it. He ordered Lane to hire an OC even though Lane intends to call the plays. They initially went after Eric "sleeping with" Bieniemy and EB used it as leverage to get a pay raise and become ass't HC in MN. So then (supposedly at Haden's suggestion) they went after Pola. Pola is the guy responsible for Troy ending up at USC and apparently wanted to be at USC all along.

Petros' take is that Fischer is just beating his chest to fire up the natives, using the LK hate as fuel to feed that fire. I agree with him. I also agree that the Titans don't need Pola to tell CJ where to run. They'll find someone else who can do that just as well.

Much ado about nothing.

And before anyone even posts it, Petros is NOT an apologist for USC.

Hall of Famer

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!............ What a load of crap....

"Petros is NOT an apologist for USC."... That much is true.

Lane Kiffin is as bad for USC as Chris Berman's nickname replacement is for the internet...

... Both are bad...

Lane Kiffin is a horses' arse.... He's an embarassment to the university.

Titans sue Lane Kiffin, USC for poaching assistant

By TERESA M. WALKER, AP Sports Writer

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—The Tennessee Titans are suing Southern California and coach Lane Kiffin for “maliciously” luring away assistant running backs coach Kennedy Pola a week before training camp opens.

Tennessee Football Inc., the company that owns the Titans, filed the lawsuit Monday in Davidson County Chancery Court against both the university and Kiffin.

The lawsuit accuses Southern California and Kiffin of violating Pola’s contract that required him to have written permission to discuss a job with anyone other than the Titans.

Tennessee hired Pola as running backs coach in February only to lose him Saturday to Southern California as the Trojans’ new offensive coordinator and running backs coach.

“USC and Kiffin maliciously intended to—and did—induce Pola to breach the Pola contract,” the lawsuit charges.

“USC and Kiffin engaged in improper means in their procurement of the breach and were not legally justified in their actions. Kiffin and USC’s actions, through him, were part of a course and pattern of conduct fostered by Kiffin and USC to use improper methods and means to the direct harm and damage of parties to contracts …”

The Titans declined to comment Monday beyond the lawsuit.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher, a Southern California alumnus, said Saturday that Kiffin neglected to make the customary courtesy phone call to let him and the NFL team know he was interested in hiring Pola. Fisher himself had hired Pola, letting go Earnest Byner to free up the spot on his coaching staff.

Pola’s contract ran at least to Feb. 14, 2011, with the NFL in the final year of its current labor agreement with the players.

The lawsuit lawsuit notes that written permission from the president and general counsel was needed because verbal “consent is inadequate.” The lawsuit also notes Southern California and Kiffin, through Pola, knew about his contract requirements.

“Pola was not given express written consent by Tennessee Football or the Commissioner of the NFL to entertain employment with any other entity,” the lawsuit argues.

The move left the Titans without a running backs coach one week before training camp opens, which the lawsuit argues disrupts planning, causes “potential loss of confidence by players” and the loss of salary and benefits already paid to Pola along with “future damage.”

The lawsuit is particularly harsh on Kiffin for what it calls intentional actions. Kiffin said he first spoke to Pola on Friday, and then called Fisher on Saturday after Pola called him back, apparently to accept the job.

Kiffin acknowledged in a statement that timing wasn’t perfect.

“I have spoken with Coach Fisher and he now has an accurate understanding of the timeline of events,” Kiffin said. “We realize the timing of this isn’t perfect for all parties, but this is a great opportunity and promotion for Kennedy.”

Fisher told The Tennessean newspaper he was very disappointed in Kiffin’s lack of professionalism. The lawsuit doesn’t hold back in criticizing Kiffin for “furtherance of a culture of violation and avoidance of respect for the sanctity of contract, which Kiffin similarly practices …” in inducing Pola to breach his contract.

The lawsuit notes Kiffin “abruptly departed” his coaching job at the University of Tennessee in January after just 14 months, which angered Volunteers’ fans. Kiffin also lured four other Tennessee coaches to join him at Southern California, and the lawsuit also notes how Kiffin tried to hire Eric Bienemy away from NFL’s Vikings, forcing Minnesota to redo his contract to keep the assistant.

The lawsuit asks for a jury trial and punitive damages and attorneys fees.

The Tennessean first reported the lawsuit on its website.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... usclawsuit

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    So you can't drink out of red Solo cups anymore if you want to be a respected public figure?
    Drinking out of red Solo cups on my back patio means that we are having a barbeque.

Drinking out of red Solo cups on a college campus with coeds mingling means KEGGER!!!

The alcohol itself isn't an issue (for example, if Tomlin was hanging out with Lane and his wife with a martini glass in his hand instead, I likely wouldn't have batted an eye).

But drinking out of red Solo cups on a college campus just reeks of frat parties and beer pong.

Just a perception thing (I have nothing inherently against red plastic or the good people at Solo).

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Titans sue Lane Kiffin, USC for poaching assistant

By TERESA M. WALKER, AP Sports Writer

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—The Tennessee Titans are suing Southern California and coach Lane Kiffin for “maliciously” luring away assistant running backs coach Kennedy Pola a week before training camp opens.

Tennessee Football Inc., the company that owns the Titans, filed the lawsuit Monday in Davidson County Chancery Court against both the university and Kiffin.

The lawsuit accuses Southern California and Kiffin of violating Pola’s contract that required him to have written permission to discuss a job with anyone other than the Titans.

Tennessee hired Pola as running backs coach in February only to lose him Saturday to Southern California as the Trojans’ new offensive coordinator and running backs coach.

“USC and Kiffin maliciously intended to—and did—induce Pola to breach the Pola contract,” the lawsuit charges.

“USC and Kiffin engaged in improper means in their procurement of the breach and were not legally justified in their actions. Kiffin and USC’s actions, through him, were part of a course and pattern of conduct fostered by Kiffin and USC to use improper methods and means to the direct harm and damage of parties to contracts …”

The Titans declined to comment Monday beyond the lawsuit.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher, a Southern California alumnus, said Saturday that Kiffin neglected to make the customary courtesy phone call to let him and the NFL team know he was interested in hiring Pola. Fisher himself had hired Pola, letting go Earnest Byner to free up the spot on his coaching staff.

Pola’s contract ran at least to Feb. 14, 2011, with the NFL in the final year of its current labor agreement with the players.

The lawsuit lawsuit notes that written permission from the president and general counsel was needed because verbal “consent is inadequate.” The lawsuit also notes Southern California and Kiffin, through Pola, knew about his contract requirements.

“Pola was not given express written consent by Tennessee Football or the Commissioner of the NFL to entertain employment with any other entity,” the lawsuit argues.

The move left the Titans without a running backs coach one week before training camp opens, which the lawsuit argues disrupts planning, causes “potential loss of confidence by players” and the loss of salary and benefits already paid to Pola along with “future damage.”

The lawsuit is particularly harsh on Kiffin for what it calls intentional actions. Kiffin said he first spoke to Pola on Friday, and then called Fisher on Saturday after Pola called him back, apparently to accept the job.

Kiffin acknowledged in a statement that timing wasn’t perfect.

“I have spoken with Coach Fisher and he now has an accurate understanding of the timeline of events,” Kiffin said. “We realize the timing of this isn’t perfect for all parties, but this is a great opportunity and promotion for Kennedy.”

Fisher told The Tennessean newspaper he was very disappointed in Kiffin’s lack of professionalism. The lawsuit doesn’t hold back in criticizing Kiffin for “furtherance of a culture of violation and avoidance of respect for the sanctity of contract, which Kiffin similarly practices …” in inducing Pola to breach his contract.

The lawsuit notes Kiffin “abruptly departed” his coaching job at the University of Tennessee in January after just 14 months, which angered Volunteers’ fans. Kiffin also lured four other Tennessee coaches to join him at Southern California, and the lawsuit also notes how Kiffin tried to hire Eric Bienemy away from NFL’s Vikings, forcing Minnesota to redo his contract to keep the assistant.

The lawsuit asks for a jury trial and punitive damages and attorneys fees.

The Tennessean first reported the lawsuit on its website.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... usclawsuit
    Good luck Titans in trying to make a case that an individual does not have the right to take a promotion and a better job. Especially given that person is a minority.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!