Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Planet Steelers Fantasy League?

Pro Bowler

Re: Planet Steelers Fantasy League?

IN and confirmed. Simulated D or no.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    I'm in. I won one of the leagues 2 years ago. I honestly don't remember what happened last year, which means I must not have done too well.

I'm flexible with rules/points. Never done a IDP league before, always wanted to try one, so that don't matter to me either.
    I won one of the other league two years ago (not sure who won Chadman's league that year). I didn't win last year either, but I was just following standard Steeler protocol lately of following up a championship season with a craptastic season.

I've never done an IDP league or a deep 16 teamer either, so this should be interesting.

As for SteelAbility's suggestion, it is interesting, but I don't think that Yahoo would be able to calculate something like that for us for free (I may be wrong, but I doubt it). It is also difficult to keep track of while the games are going on...when I'm at Heinz they put individual player stats from around the NFL in addition to scores from other games, so when I see that Andre Johnson has 120 yards and 2 TD's, I can say "Cool! AJ got me 24 points!" Using that formula makes it more difficult to determine where you stand at a glance unless you were right in front of your computer and could do the calculations.

At some point, I want to try an auction league too, because I've only ever done snake. I've never done a point-per-reception league either. Basically, I'm a wuss that keeps joining leagues that I am used to because I am good at it. This should be a refreshing change of pace, though.

Okay, I am signed in on Yahoo.

One question from a first-time IDP player...Here is how our rosters will look:

QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R, K, DEF, D, DB, DL, LB, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

I'm assuming that DEF is a team defense like we are all used to in our regular leagues.

DB is a defensive back, DL is a defensive lineman, and LB is a linebacker...we have to start one of each of those each week. Got it.

But what does just "D" stand for? Is that a 4th IDP start that is flex player from any level of a defense (for example, I could start 1 DL, 1 DB, and 2 LB's...with a 2nd LB as my D flex?) I might be totally wrong about this...just guessing. Enlighten me.

You nailed it Ruthless. You get one flex player that can be any position on the defense.

all of these roster spots and points are subject to change of course. I was just setting up a general outline to start from. I've never done 16 teams either. It should definitely make things interesting as far as depth of rosters goes.

IDP is the way to go.

Signed up:

D Rock
    Ruthless
    Constanza

Password sent:

Shiek
    Ability
    Calculus

Still 10 openings left.

Oh and one other thing...

I set it up for now as an auction style draft. I've never done one of these either but it could be fun to see how people bid and spend their 'money' on different players/positions.

That can easily be changed as well if we don't want to go that route.

Cool, thanks D.

With 16 teams, pickings will be getting thin as we move into the 2nd half of the draft (16 teams X 20 rounds = a long draft, but I like it). However, because we have to pick individual defensive players in addition to offensive players, that changes things, because we may not carry as much offensive depth since we will likely need defensive depth as well.

For instance, in my typical non-IDP league, I usually carry the following:

2 QB, 5 RB, 5 WR, 2 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF

However, with this league, in order to have IDP backups available on my roster, I may have to carry one less RB and WR:

2 QB, 4 RB, 4 WR, 2 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB

Do teams in IDP league typically carry a starter and backup at each defensive position like this in lieu of extra RB's or WR's, so they have 4 IDP's as starters on a given week and 2 IDP backups?

One other thought...if all 16 teams carry 2 QB's on our rosters, then every starting QB in the NFL will be accounted for (since there are 32 NFL teams, and 16 X 2 = 32). I already can't wait for the mocking when someone takes Jake Delhomme, QB, Cleveland to be their backup fantasy QB.

that's why I love IDP leagues.

You can't just carry a ton of depth through the season and put guys in and out at will. You have to draft for bye weeks. You have to make the tough decisions and drop/pick up players a lot of times. This league is in no way is dependent on how well someone drafts, but much more on how they manage their roster on a week to week basis.

Is it worth dropping Lawrence Timmons during the bye week to pick up a lesser statistical player just for that week and try to secure a win? Do you drop your kicker that week to hold on to Timmons for the season?

You very well may need to drop good players or play an empty spot in your roster. Who knows?!?!

OK, I'm in: Psycho Ward

I would like to make a couple of comments after last years Jooser Mountain Momma League:

Most of the scoring that Ruthless mentioned seems about right. Jooser had the bonuses set way too high for eclipsing 100 and 150 yds for receivers and backs.

1 pt every 10 yds rush/receive
    5 pt bonus for hitting 100 yds
    additional 5 pt bonus for every 100 yds thereafter

1 pt for every 20 yds passing
    5 pt bonus for hitting 300 yds
    additional 5 pt bonus for every 100 yds thereafter

The rest of Ruthless' suggestions seemed pretty consistent with what we had last year.

I also like a PPR league, but that always seems to overcompensate for the WR. Maybe 1 point for every 2 catches?

If we're using DEF as a position, is that really Special Teams? Or do we play a team defense AND IDPs? I'd also suggest 1 pt for every 50 return yds. It gives some more points to ST without skewing the score for someone who had a couple long returns.

16 owners is going to be a huge league. I always prefer 12. For one it's hard to get 16 owners lined up for the same draft day, and for two there will be NO depth at all, even with IDP on rosters. Get ready for your starting RB to be Willie Parker during one of those 6 team bye weeks. If we have to start 2, with 6 teams off, that means there are only 26 possible starting RB that week. And 16 owners each needing 2 means we need 32 RB.

Which brings me to my other point: Based on the number of people who missed the draft last year, due to living in different parts of the world or having vastly different work schedules, I just don't see an auction working. Anyone who misses it will be left with crap. At least if you have a standard draft, Yahoo lets you set your rankings and use the autodraft and usually you have a decent team. I can't say the same will happen with an auction.

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Who won Jooser's Mountain Mama League last season?

Any guesses?
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Any spots remaining?