Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Roger Goodell Will Cut Big Ben's Suspension Short

Legend

Re: Why Roger Goodell Will Cut Big Ben's Suspension Short

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    The local police viewed the tapes. That didn't get reported much because it's not juicy enough.

They didn't want photos of Ben with booze in his hand. No different than bar flyers for Jeff Reed's appearances to ask not to post pics on the internet.

And now the videotape has disappeared:

The attorney for a nightclub where Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is accused of “sexually assaulted or sexually manipulated” a college student told ESPN that there is no remaining video from the night of the alleged incident.

Carl Cansino, the attorney for the Capital City nightclub in Milledgeville, Ga., said that he learned Thursday there is no remaining video. It was recorded over after detectives and the club’s manager, Rocky Duncan, had watched it.

Cansino said that Milledgeville detectives tried to retrieve the video after it was recorded over, but were unable to. A Georgia Bureau of Investigations forensics team tried to retrieve it as well, but was also unsuccessful.

Cansino said the GBI told him Thursday that nothing on the tape is available at the present time.

Earlier Thursday, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review also reported that — according to Cansino — the GBI was unable to retrieve the footage as potential evidence.

A source told ESPN’s Kelly Naqi that there was no camera inside the nightclub pointed toward the bathroom where the woman said the assault took place.

The source told Naqi that many of the club’s security cameras are focused on the main dance floor area. The value of any footage obtained from those recordings would have been to see the demeanor of the accuser and her friends as they made their exit from the club, the source told Naqi.

More and more events point towards Ben Roethlisberger walking away unscathed from whatever occurred at the Capital Club in Miledgeville, Georgia.

Legend

Carl Cansino, the attorney for the Capital City nightclub in Milledgeville, Ga., said that he learned Thursday there is no remaining video. It was recorded over after detectives and the club’s manager, Rocky Duncan, had watched it.
    Right. But you don't see the part about the local detectives and the club manager watching it reported hardly at all. They don't tell you it was the GBI who LATER wanted to view the tapes after the locals had already done so.

The media makes it appear as if no one watched the tapes, and it just vanished.

A source told ESPN’s Kelly Naqi that there was no camera inside the nightclub pointed toward the bathroom where the woman said the assault took place.
    That quote above has also seen little print as well. The media once again made it appear as if they had camera's fixated on the bathroom and the hall way. They did not.

Legend

Now who knows how damaging or clearing this tape could have been for the parties involved but taping over it???

When evidence is taped over why would anyone believe there was nothing on it or it was viewed at all?

In college I was accused of graffiti and said to be on tape. However the cops wouldn't let me watch the tape... yeah right. When they showed me the grafitti I told them as an artist I was offended by the shi.TTY quality of the work. I really tried hard to warn the cop about his mistake but he wanted to make an example out of me... he had to learn the hard way. My uncle is a very popular lawyer.

Cops are people too.. I wouldn't be surprised if they never watched the video or let it be taped over. Cops down there were fired or resigned.

Legend

Right. But you don't see the part about the local detectives and the club manager watching it reported hardly at all. They don't tell you it was the GBI who LATER wanted to view the tapes after the locals had already done so.

The media makes it appear as if no one watched the tapes, and it just vanished.

[quote:265uodnq]A source told ESPN’s Kelly Naqi that there was no camera inside the nightclub pointed toward the bathroom where the woman said the assault took place.
    That quote above has also seen little print as well. The media once again made it appear as if they had camera's fixated on the bathroom and the hall way. They did not.[/quote:265uodnq]

if there is nothing to hide why tape over the tapes? The local cops screwed up from the jump and were punished.

This is like spygate and the destroyed tapes. He said there was nothing major on them but what do we all say? Why destroy them?

Wouldn't the tapes help Ben if there was nothing on them? If the tapes helped Ben but hurt the club so the club owner scrubbed them it still makes Ben look like he was hiding something. Damaged tapes didn't help Ben with public perception... however it may have helped in hiding his drunk and borish nature. We will never know so speculation and perception won out over cold hard evidence.

Legend

if there is nothing to hide why tape over the tapes?
    They run in cycles. They are programmed to tape over them after a certain amount of time. They saw the tapes. If they were damaging they would have taken them with them.

Wouldn't the tapes help Ben if there was nothing on them? If the tapes helped Ben but hurt the club so the club owner scrubbed them it still makes Ben look like he was hiding something.
    Ben owns the club?

Damaged tapes didn't help Ben with public perception... however it may have helped in hiding his drunk and borish nature.
    Alleged boorish nature. A friend of Ben's shot their own video. It showed Ben and the accuser on it. If it would have made Ben look "bad" do you really think they would have handed it over to the GBI?

No, a witch-hunt by the media won over cold hard facts.

That's why if I'm Ben I tell the media to go to hell.

They run in cycles. They are programmed to tape over them after a certain amount of time. They saw the tapes. If they were damaging they would have taken them with them.

[quote:27jwn2jv]Wouldn't the tapes help Ben if there was nothing on them? If the tapes helped Ben but hurt the club so the club owner scrubbed them it still makes Ben look like he was hiding something.
    Ben owns the club?

Damaged tapes didn't help Ben with public perception... however it may have helped in hiding his drunk and borish nature.
    Alleged boorish nature. A friend of Ben's shot their own video. It showed Ben and the accuser on it. If it would have made Ben look "bad" do you really think they would have handed it over to the GBI?

No, a witch-hunt by the media won over cold hard facts.

That's why if I'm Ben I tell the media to go to hell.[/quote:27jwn2jv]

+1

Legend

doesn't matter.... in the public eye a tape that is damaged or erased is seen as hiding something. Don't you bash Goodell all the time for destroying the Pats tapes? He said there was nothing for us to see? Yeah right.

[quote:3a4gvuu1]Wouldn't the tapes help Ben if there was nothing on them? If the tapes helped Ben but hurt the club so the club owner scrubbed them it still makes Ben look like he was hiding something.
    Ben owns the club?

I never said Ben owns the club... I said the club may have been protecting themselves by letting the tapes get recorded over. However this still makes it look like the tape recording hid something to protect Ben...

Without the tapes everyone can speculate and run with it...

I have no idea why you brought up his friends video... what friend would send a tape incriminating his friend?

[/quote:3a4gvuu1]

In closing... the same people screaming about Goodell destroying the spygate tapes are now defending destroyed tapes in this GA gaffe. Sure the locals "looked at them" with the club owner. It's not like the local authorities didn't have policemen who were fired or forced to resign due to not following procedure.

I'm not saying the erased tapes prove Ben is guilty... but I am saying the erased tapes make it very hard to prove Ben did nothing wrong. Proof is everything... and without those tapes plenty of media are thinking he definitely did something.

The tape could have been facing a garbage can all night.. but umm.... if the tape is erased why would anyone in the media believe the local authorities?

Just sayin'

Legend

I'm not saying the erased tapes prove Ben is guilty... but I am saying the erased tapes make it very hard to prove Ben did nothing wrong.
    It does? How?

What proves Ben didn't rape her (which he was accused of and investigated for) was the fact that they had no DNA, no proof of intercourse at all.

I have no idea why you brought up his friends video... what friend would send a tape incriminating his friend?
    Exactly. The fact that they turned that tape in, and it had the accuser and Ben on it? Would support Ben's versions of events, no?

In closing... the same people screaming about Goodell destroying the spygate tapes are now defending destroyed tapes in this GA gaffe.
    Um, no. What we are complaining about is the media acting as if the tapes were destroyed before investigators looked at it. As if Ben (who was flying back to Pittsburgh) somehow orchestrated this to happen.

They didn't report the facts. They never have.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    I'm not saying the erased tapes prove Ben is guilty... but I am saying the erased tapes make it very hard to prove Ben did nothing wrong. Proof is everything... and without those tapes plenty of media are thinking he definitely did something.
    It's not Ben's job to prove he did nothing wrong. It's the prosecutor/accusers job to prove that he did. Proof is indeed important, but the burden is on the one making the accusation, not the accused.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    It's not Ben's job to prove he did nothing wrong. It's the prosecutor/accusers job to prove that he did. Proof is indeed important, but the burden is on the one making the accusation, not the accused.
    I'm not talking about guilt of a crime... he wasn't charged so he isn't a criminal.

I'm talking about public perception...