Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Roger Goodell Will Cut Big Ben's Suspension Short

Pro Bowler

Re: Why Roger Goodell Will Cut Big Ben's Suspension Short

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    OK guys, think before you answer this:

Deep in your heart, do you WANT Goodell to cut the suspension to 4 games (or heck, even less)?

I'm asking because some people think that it was the severity of the suspension that snapped Ben's head around and woke him up, made him realize if he doesn't truly change his ways he may find himself packing groceries at the Giant Eagle (OK, maybe I'm exaggerating, but you get the point).

Do these same people think that dropping it to four games, or less, would make Ben more likely to do things that would ultimately get him fired?

I'm not sure how I would answer this. Yeah, we could use him for as many games as possible this year. But, whatever it takes, all I know is I really really really want Ben to stay out of the TMZ-type headlines forever.
    Deep in my heart I believe that Ben shouldn't have been suspended at all. The NFL should keep it's nose out of people's business if there is not even a charge. It's not their job to nanny any player into "changing his ways."

I think that the Steelers may have had something to do with this and that would be yet another bone-headed move that they've had this off-season- so yes, I do hold them partially liable for this miscarriage of justice.
    Would feel this way if you had millions of dollars invested in a player that put himself in situations where he could possibly end up in jail? Just something for you to think about. This is one of several issues the organization has to take into account. Only thing most fans worry about is their fandom.

The NFL has some responsibility for what its employees do off the field. The NFL provides its employees with huge sums of money and fame. Any company that employs professional people has some responsibility for its employees actions. There are standards that people have to abide by to be employees of most, if not all companies.

I know that Ben was not charged. I believe he was very close to being charged by the nature of the incident and situation he placed himself into. He was very fortunate that one of several factors did not lead to being charged. What happens if Ben put himself into a similar situation in the future with a woman and gets charged? At the very least, the league and organization attempted to do what they could within the structure of their policies to help move Ben in the right direction.

I believe the Steelers had something to do with the suspension. They did what they thought was necessary to help their multi million dollar investment. Whatever happens from this day forward will be on Ben. Will he continue to be dumb and stubborn Ben? or Will he learn, grow, and consider himself fortunate after this incident?

I think the league should have done nothing, and the Rooneys hit him with a huge dollar fine and counseling. His getting suspended is a slap to the team and the fans.

Someone WAY over reacted.

Now the team and the fans pay the price.

Goodell WAY UNDER reacted to spygate. They got little less than a "Bad dog!" and it was over. It was WAY under investigated, too.

Ben's actions were stupid to the Nth degree. That jeapordizes the Rooney's investment, to be sure. His actions were not illegal, else charges would have been charged.

A good, firm "Do it again and you're fined" from the league is understandable. This is more than that.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    I think the league should have done nothing, and the Rooneys hit him with a huge dollar fine and counseling. His getting suspended is a slap to the team and the fans.

Someone WAY over reacted.

Now the team and the fans pay the price.

Goodell WAY UNDER reacted to spygate. They got little less than a "Bad dog!" and it was over. It was WAY under investigated, too.

Ben's actions were stupid to the Nth degree. That jeapordizes the Rooney's investment, to be sure. His actions were not illegal, else charges would have been charged.

A good, firm "Do it again and you're fined" from the league is understandable. This is more than that.
    I guess the league felt the need to step in since it was the 2nd accusation. Maybe Goodell would had given him 2 to 3 games at the most without collaborating with the organization?

I believe the organization talked to Ben about the situations he places himself into after the first accusation. Wouldn't you if you had millions invested in Ben? Up to this latest incident, it did not appear that Ben needed any counseling. Ben probably does not need any counseling now. Maybe all he needed was a dose of reality? Only time will tell. We've seen athletes that can't learn from their own and others mistakes.

Unfortunate that some people can't let go of spy gate. Spy gate is water under bridge. Just like Ben's issue will be water under the bridge some day.

So what if Ben did not learn from a good do it again and you're fined? Fined money, how much? 25,000 50,000 100,000? He has that coming out of his ears. He was fined, so to speak, by the attorneys defending him in the Mcnaulty case. Did not learn from that. It also appears he did not learn from the advice of people around him or in the organization. I believe that's why the organization wanted a little more harsh punishment placed on Ben. A 4/6 game suspension speaks volumes. It says, do it again and you could face a year ban by the league. Do it again, you will no longer be a Steeler. Do it again, you might end up in jail the next time. It may or may not work. At least, it will give Ben something to think about before he places himself into questionable situations.

People are so concerned with the short term(4/6 games this season) or whining about the unfairness of the suspension, they fail to consider how the suspension might change Ben for the long term. The organization and league took this stance for reasons. The organization and league want to have Ben around for the long term. They are intelligent business people. Ben is a star in the league. It is in their best interest to have Ben around for as long as possible.

Burgh,

You're a great poster. I just disagree with almost every point you just made.

No offense. I just do.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

Legend

I believe he was very close to being charged by the nature of the incident and situation he placed himself into.
    Yeah he was close to being charged, that's why DA Bright said he didn't even have enough probable cause to arrest Ben.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    Burgh,

You're a great poster. I just disagree with almost every point you just made.

No offense. I just do.
    It's cool, that's what this place is for.

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL

Deep in your heart, do you WANT Goodell to cut the suspension to 4 games (or heck, even less)?

I'm asking because some people think that it was the severity of the suspension that snapped Ben's head around and woke him up, made him realize if he doesn't truly change his ways he may find himself packing groceries at the Giant Eagle (OK, maybe I'm exaggerating, but you get the point).

Do these same people think that dropping it to four games, or less, would make Ben more likely to do things that would ultimately get him fired?

I'm not sure how I would answer this. Yeah, we could use him for as many games as possible this year. But, whatever it takes, all I know is I really really really want Ben to stay out of the TMZ-type headlines forever.
    Deep in my heart I believe that Ben shouldn't have been suspended at all. The NFL should keep it's nose out of people's business if there is not even a charge. It's not their job to nanny any player into "changing his ways."

I think that the Steelers may have had something to do with this and that would be yet another bone-headed move that they've had this off-season- so yes, I do hold them partially liable for this miscarriage of justice.
    Would feel this way if you had millions of dollars invested in a player that put himself in situations where he could possibly end up in jail? Just something for you to think about. This is one of several issues the organization has to take into account. Only thing most fans worry about is their fandom.

The NFL has some responsibility for what its employees do off the field. The NFL provides its employees with huge sums of money and fame. Any company that employs professional people has some responsibility for its employees actions. There are standards that people have to abide by to be employees of most, if not all companies.

I know that Ben was not charged. I believe he was very close to being charged by the nature of the incident and situation he placed himself into. He was very fortunate that one of several factors did not lead to being charged. What happens if Ben put himself into a similar situation in the future with a woman and gets charged? At the very least, the league and organization attempted to do what they could within the structure of their policies to help move Ben in the right direction.

I believe the Steelers had something to do with the suspension. They did what they thought was necessary to help their multi million dollar investment. Whatever happens from this day forward will be on Ben. Will he continue to be dumb and stubborn Ben? or Will he learn, grow, and consider himself fortunate after this incident?
    If my multi-million dollar investment was frog-marched out in front of the camera's or charged with a criminal offense there would certainly be an interest. If there were viral video or something of a crime, there would be an interest. Other than that, no, it doesn't change anything.

If Ben does anything to get himself charged with a crime than that is a different proposition entirely. Again, it's not the NFL or the Steeler's job to nanny anyone into moving in the "right direction."

The suspension will be cut short because that was the design.

This way the fact that Ben went to councelling and is changing his life will be in the public eye. The variable length of the suspension actually begins the Big Ben redemption project. From the beginning, I've thought of the 6 --> 4 suspension as a marketing tool.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL

If my multi-million dollar investment was frog-marched out in front of the camera's or charged with a criminal offense there would certainly be an interest. If there were viral video or something of a crime, there would be an interest. Other than that, no, it doesn't change anything.

If Ben does anything to get himself charged with a crime than that is a different proposition entirely. Again, it's not the NFL or the Steeler's job to nanny anyone into moving in the "right direction."
    The video from the club being "damaged" wasn't a good thing. The stories about the phones being scrubbed of photo's with Ben don't help either.

The NFL definitely has a responsibility to nanny their investments in the right direction. Moving in the wrong direction isn't good for business.

I have no idea why some people feel as though a person can cost their employer millions of dollars without receiving some sort of punishment or counseling.

Legend

The local police viewed the tapes. That didn't get reported much because it's not juicy enough.

They didn't want photos of Ben with booze in his hand. No different than bar flyers for Jeff Reed's appearances to ask not to post pics on the internet.