Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ron Cook: What Big Ben needs to do

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Ron Cook: What Big Ben needs to do

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    I wonder if Hines says this stuff on purpose? Because he knows what we know. Ben plays his best when everyone's against him. Maybe Hines says stuff publicly to get under Ben's skin and make him play better as a result.
    I think that Hines has a level of resentment with regards to Ben. Hines sees himself as "THE GUY" and he knows he dealing with the reality he is at the end of his career. Add to that he thinks he never has gotten the credit he deserves. In reality and in terms of recognition and pay, Ben is "THE GUY" and IMO that bothers Hines greatly.
    Now you're turning into one of these anti-Ward kooks? Say it ain't so veedo. :P

Why don't all of you quit trying to play armchair psychologists and go around interpreting the meaning or motive of everything that comes out of Ward's mouth. This a ridiculous assertion (not quite to the level of insinuating why he is divorced) and there is nothing that could remotely support what you state.

It's funny. Look at all of the folks criticizing Ward for what he says, then they all turn around and say outlandish shit. It may not be with a mic in front of them, and certainly no one here is Ward's teammate, but it is none the less, ironic.

I'm not one of these guys who has a Fat-head graphic of Hines on my bedroom wall or anything, but in my opinion, all Ward is guilty of is being a little loose with his words. Maybe he needs a filter adjustment. He wears his emotions on his sleeve and he says what is on his mind. That will be the extent to which I try to "analyze" him.

Backup

User Info Menu

Here's what Ward said:

"A lot of players really don’t know the situation, other than what we hear in the news or the media,” Ward explained. “I think when he addresses the whole team going into training camp, we can all put it behind us and move forward.”

Is he calling Roethlisberger out? Is he demanding a detailed explaination about his night in Georgia? Make your own judgement. Seems like something else blown out of proportion by the media to me.

And Ron Cook wonders why we can't get away from news about Ben.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ron Cook didn't go on live television and say Ben needed to discuss the Georgia incident.

Hines Ward did.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    Ron Cook didn't go on live television and say Ben needed to discuss the Georgia incident.

Hines Ward did.
    But he does at least need to acknowledge the mess that he made and apologize to his team for what happened. Those guys had a mic in there face all spring and every other question was about Ben. And for the most part they were very supportive of Ben. That had to wear them out and I think Ben needs to acknowledge that. He has enough of a battle this season as it is, a locker room issue is not another thing he needs to add to it. And I believe Hines was saying that he thought Ben would do exactly that.
    I think that people want there to be a locker room and so they are creating a locker room problem. When for all you know Ben planned on talking to the team at camp and maybe had even told Hines that.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash

Hines Ward did.
    When did Ward say that Ben NEEDED to discuss the Georgia incident? Ward's statement seems to assume that Ben will discuss it, he is not demanding it.

Legend

User Info Menu

First, Ward was out of line by taking it public.
    Second, yes Ben does owe the team an apology.

His actions effected ownership, coaching, players and fans and part of the healing process is owning it. That means a big gulp of humility. Humility is tough for many of us and I can't imagine it being easy for Ben. No matter what happened that night Ben put himself and the team in a spot. Now we are without our franchise QB for at least 4 games.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I wonder if Hines says this stuff on purpose? Because he knows what we know. Ben plays his best when everyone's against him. Maybe Hines says stuff publicly to get under Ben's skin and make him play better as a result.
    I think that Hines has a level of resentment with regards to Ben. Hines sees himself as "THE GUY" and he knows he dealing with the reality he is at the end of his career. Add to that he thinks he never has gotten the credit he deserves. In reality and in terms of recognition and pay, Ben is "THE GUY" and IMO that bothers Hines greatly.
    Ever since Bettis retired, Hines has been the guy that comes out the tunnel last when the starting offense is announced (not Ben). Hines gets the biggest cheers (except for when the starting defense is announced instead when Troy comes out last). Getting your name called last during pre-game announcements at Heinz is the ultimate sign of respect.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Ever since Bettis retired, Hines has been the guy that comes out the tunnel last when the starting offense is announced (not Ben). Hines gets the biggest cheers (except for when the starting defense is announced instead when Troy comes out last). Getting your name called last during pre-game announcements at Heinz is the ultimate sign of respect.
    The Hines' cheers @ Heinz are an order of magnitude bigger than the cheers than anyone else on the offense gets. Hines is loved like Jack Lambert was loved on the field. It's the same way Troy is loved by the fans.

And it's a different kind of love than we have for our QB. The QB gets all the money. He gets all the fame. We expect them to perform. And we'll boo the crap out of a QB louder than any other player as a result cause we have such high expectations.

But the guys that don't get all the money and all the fame that still give everything. Like Lambert, like Hines, like Troy, like Rocky, etc. Those are the guy we love cause they give all they've got and then some but don't get all the fame and money that Ben and Bradshaw get.

We make it up to them. And it's kinda cool how Steeler Nation evens things out.

And don't get me wrong, we love our QB. But we also expect more from them than any other player.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think when guys say something to the media first, they run the risk of the kind of backlash that Hines is getting from some here. It's not always appropriate. But it does need to be said. Ben DOES need to, one final time, come completely clean with his teammates and put his indiscretions behind him. This is what he owes his team for not being there for the first 4 games.

One thing that we, as THE Steeler Universe, must always insist upon is that this isn't just any NFL team... this is The Pittsburgh Steelers: 6-time Super Bowl Champions and a team that always has a target on their back. To wear the Black and Gold is, and should always be, a distinct honor in the way that donning the Yankee pinstripes or the Purple and Gold of the Lakers or Green and White of the Celtics or the sweater of the Canadiens is because all those teams have a long history of championship. To be a Steeler is to conduct oneself as a CHAMPION. Nothing less will do.

I typically cringe when I see one teammate call out another. This is the second time it has happened in relation to Hines toward Ben. Doesn't ratify the means by which Hines sent the message. And, FWIW, I don't think he necessarily said anything out of turn because this is something that Ben needs to do. But it also isn't fair for sides to be chosen up here. If these are the Champion Steelers that I see them as being, they will bury the hatchet ASAP and use it as a catalyst for another championship campaign.

Between you and me, I expect the Steelers to win Super Bowl XLV. It's not like any other team in football is any better or that much better and champions, facing adversity, rise beyond the challenge and attain the higher glory. Hines Ward, Ben Roethlisberger and the rest of The Pittsburgh Steelers must make this their purpose above and beyond any ordinary championship expectations because they appear to be a laughing stock by the rest of the league and might be perceived as an easy mark because of the distractions of this off-season. It won't merely be about winning... it'll be about proving all the naysayers wrong.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Starter

User Info Menu

The only thing Ben owes anyone is his performance on the field.