Thread: Bruce Arians wouldn't mind having Joe Webb on his side

Legend

User Info Menu

Bruce Arians wouldn't mind having Joe Webb on his side

Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians wouldn't mind having Joe Webb on his side
    Published: Saturday, June 26, 2010,
    [url="http://blog.al.com/offthevine/2010/06/steelers_offensive_coordinator.html"]http://blog.al.com/offthevine/2010/06/s ... nator.html[/url]

FOOTBALL COMBINEPittsburgh Steelers Bruce Arians would love having the chance to coach former UAB standout Joe Webb. (The Birmingham News/ Mark Almond)

Joe Webb spent the past month making a strong first impression during his first batch of workouts as a member of the Minnesota Vikings.

Webb, who was one of the staff members working at the Arians Pro Football Academy Camp at Hoover High on Saturday, was expected to try to win a NFL job at wide receiver. But, thus far, all his time on offense has been spent at quarterback.

He has shown his versatility by working on the Vikings' special teams. He even said on Saturday that he's lined up as the gunner on the punt coverage unit. But, as of now, it appears his best shot to make an impression comes at quarterback.

Bruce Arians, the offensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers, is not surprised by Webb's early reviews in Minnesota.

"As an athlete, I don’t know if I’ve seen 10 better," Arians said. "The numbers he put up at his (Pro Day) workout at UAB were astonishing. I’ve known it because I’ve watched him out here in the camp every year. He brought a hybrid player to your organization that might could play three positions in a very unique style that maybe no one has since Kordell Stewart."

Arians also wasn't surprised that Webb is making his mark at quarterback -- at least for now -- and not wide receiver.

"He was always known as a runner and a great athlete but he can throw a football," Arians said. "With enough training in the pro style, the sky is the limit for him.

Of course, he said all of this with one big regret.

" I was very anxious to get my hands on that talent but Minnesota did a great job taking him," Arians said.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Bruce Arians wouldn't mind having Joe Webb on his side

Joe Webb wasn't drafted by the Vikings until the 6th round. If we had really wanted Webb we had plenty of chances to take him.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Joe Webb wasn't drafted by the Vikings until the 6th round. If we had really wanted Webb we had plenty of chances to take him.
    Yeah, the whole concept of this article is kind of dumb. Webb was taken 4 spots after we took Antonio Brown in the late 6th round. I thought the team liked Webb (had him in for a pre-draft visit if I recall correctly...although Sanders and Brown visited the South Side HQ as well), and was surprised that we did not take him, since he has some size that is lacking in our WR corps right now and also has the position versatility that we tend to like, since this is the team that currently employs former college QB's at WR such as Antwaan Randle El, Arnaz Battle, and Hines Ward.

I was surprised that they took Brown after taking Sanders earlier, since those two guys have similar body styles and skill sets (you'd think if you'd already taken a speedy, shifty undersized WR with returnability, that if you were going to take another WR, you'd go for a bigger target the second time around instead of another speedy, shifty undersized WR with returnability). It reminds me of when they took Willie Reid after already taking Santonio Holmes in 2006, when they could have used the Reid pick on a bigger WR like local boy Brandon Marshall instead.

I hope Antonio Brown works out better than Willie Reid did (although if he doesn't it won't be as painful if a late 6th round pick busts as opposed to a late 3rd rounder).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

plenty of coaches want a player the FO doesn't want or feel they need.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    plenty of coaches want a player the FO doesn't want or feel they need.
    Absolutely. However, if your OC can't pull the trigger on a guy he knows well - late in the 6th round - it might just be an indicator of his status within the organization.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

can Joe Webb be an offensive coordinator?

:P

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wondered why this guy's name sounded familiar:

[url="http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11601"]viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11601[/url]

7c.242- Joe Webb-QB-Alabama-Birmingham

As The Benjamin Turns notwithstanding, the Steelers may benefit from this selection since Ben's Follies have given birth to more than their share of concern and Charlie Batch has limited shelf life remaining. The Steelers also have but three QBs on the current roster. This pick would bring in a player looking for a chance and if he doesn't pan out at QB, the Steelers may well look at him as a candidate at WR.

Now, I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Absolutely. However, if your OC can't pull the trigger on a guy he knows well - late in the 6th round - it might just be an indicator of his status within the organization.
    If you're right, Fla, I wouldn't shed a tear. Mr. Arians appears to be "past due" on paying the freight to ride on SS Steelers!

In retrospect, getting Lefty for what we paid wasn't a bad pickup, However:

True Dat, HS. He would have been a nice pick. Will be curious to see how he works out for the Vikes with a QB roster that is a wide open competition led by a future HOFer who may or may not have much left.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!