Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer Sucks

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Soccer Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    P.S. they do have a UEFA chamionship every year which is like the world series or superbowl. its a tournamnet of the top club teams in various leagues (i think they keep it to european leagues). so the top teams in each league (which pretty much have the top players) battle it out.

in talent level, its prolly above the world cup
    I need a team to follow. Any suggestions? Who do the soccer fans on here root for?

Which team is like the Steelers, Pens, or Buccos?

I'm not below rooting for the Pittsburgh Pirates of soccer either. I just need a great reason to pick a team to follow. My favorite Pittsburgh athlete of all time is Roberto afterall.

Legend

User Info Menu

Another question, should I use my ancestory to pick a team?

I'm mostly German and Slovak. I've also got some French. And then a spattering of most of the other Eurpean countries in me. I really am a mutt which makes it hard to choose.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

good luck with your game...please let me know how you did, the suspense is almost too much to bear!

Dear Genie - For my 3rd and last wish, I wish I could be HER sunglasses ...
    Dear Genie of the Lamp: my mistake, I want to be her CELLPHONE

Hot babes rooting for floppers, I mean soccer, :P is getting better all the time.

Apparently, this adoring fan has promised to run naked (albeit in body paint) if Paraguay wins the WC. Now that is something I can root for!

Go Paraguay!!

[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/29/larissa-riquelme-lingerie_n_629975.html#s108048"]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/2 ... ml#s108048[/url]

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    P.S. they do have a UEFA chamionship every year which is like the world series or superbowl. its a tournamnet of the top club teams in various leagues (i think they keep it to european leagues). so the top teams in each league (which pretty much have the top players) battle it out.

I need a team to follow. Any suggestions? Who do the soccer fans on here root for?

I'm not below rooting for the Pittsburgh Pirates of soccer either. I just need a great reason to pick a team to follow. My favorite Pittsburgh athlete of all time is Roberto afterall.
    since we dont get all the champions league games here i tend to go for whatever team has an american playing for them... but ive always been partial to root for Arsenal...apparently my dads third cousin (or some bs like that, he could never remember ) played for them in the 90's
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler

since we dont get all the champions league games here i tend to go for whatever team has an american playing for them... but ive always been partial to root for Arsenal...apparently my dads third cousin (or some bs like that, he could never remember ) played for them in the 90's
    What leagues does the UEFA cover? La Liga? Bundesliga? Premiership? Serie A? (I just know those from passing). Is it every top European league?

I was in Barcelona last year during some HUGE soccer game. That really piqued my interest. When Barca scored, the city... the ENTIRE CITY cheered. It was really cool.

Starter

User Info Menu

Another question, should I use my ancestory to pick a team?

I'm mostly German and Slovak. I've also got some French. And then a spattering of most of the other Eurpean countries in me. I really am a mutt which makes it hard to choose.
    you can if you want to... but if you listened really close during some of the cup games you heard that most players do not play for their native country...the top teams are usually chelsea, man united, real madrid, bayern munich (if you choose off of ancestory i'd pick them)

UDFA

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII
    Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler

What leagues does the UEFA cover? La Liga? Bundesliga? Premiership? Serie A? (I just know those from passing). Is it every top European league?

I was in Barcelona last year during some HUGE soccer game. That really piqued my interest. When Barca scored, the city... the ENTIRE CITY cheered. It was really cool.

UEFA is the top 32 teams in europe i believe. i think the top 3 or 4 teams from the different european leagues quallify. not completely sure...i should probably check on that...

UDFA

Legend

User Info Menu

Flippy, here's some information that may help you in your endeavor to become a soccer fan.

If you want to watch ball possession, attacking soccer from anywhere on the field try FC Barcelona. They have the best player in the world (Lionel Messi - Argentina) and two of the best mid-fielders in the world (Xavi Hernandex and Andres Iniesta). Their keeper isn't anything special and Carlos Puyol is an excellent defender who doesn't mind making a hard tackle. This is the team I follow; they are in La Liga.

If you like lightning quick offense and good defending an Italian team might be more to your liking. AC Milan or Inter-Milan would be good choices here they are usually at the top of the table in their league (Serie A). The best keeper in the business played for one of them (GianLuigi Buffon), but he's older now and isn't quite as good as he used to be, but still quite good. I don't care for Serie A, because in my estimation the Italians are the biggest floppers in the world.

Bundesliga is the German league and Bayerm-Munich are the UEFA cup champions for this year. Teams in this league will play good solid defense and look to counter attack quickly, they typically employ speedy outside mid-fielders to do this. If you happened to watch Germany play this past week you would have seen two excellent examples of good defense and the quick counter for two of their goals.

The English Premier League is the best league in the world top to bottom and you can't go wrong following any team here, but I would suggest Arsenal, Chelsea, or Manchester United. Dempsy and Howard play for teams in the EPL, but I can't recall which ones (I do know that they are not any of the top tier teams). If you like feisty rough soccer this league is for you. There's no room to be a wilting flower in this league they tackle hard and make no excuses for it.

I hope this helps. Of course, if you want to stay stateside, follow any team in the MLS. The soccer is getting better, but not nearly to the level of any of the European leagues. The USA team could compete in Europe, but would probably be middle pf the pack in any of the leagues. European league play is even better than the World Cup, because they can buy the team they want.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon

Flippy, here's some information that may help you in your endeavor to become a soccer fan.

If you want to watch ball possession, attacking soccer from anywhere on the field try FC Barcelona. They have the best player in the world (Lionel Messi - Argentina) and two of the best mid-fielders in the world (Xavi Hernandex and Andres Iniesta). Their keeper isn't anything special and Carlos Puyol is an excellent defender who doesn't mind making a hard tackle. This is the team I follow; they are in La Liga.

If you like lightning quick offense and good defending an Italian team might be more to your liking. AC Milan or Inter-Milan would be good choices here they are usually at the top of the table in their league (Serie A). The best keeper in the business played for one of them (GianLuigi Buffon), but he's older now and isn't quite as good as he used to be, but still quite good. I don't care for Serie A, because in my estimation the Italians are the biggest floppers in the world.

Bundesliga is the German league and Bayerm-Munich are the UEFA cup champions for this year. Teams in this league will play good solid defense and look to counter attack quickly, they typically employ speedy outside mid-fielders to do this. If you happened to watch Germany play this past week you would have seen two excellent examples of good defense and the quick counter for two of their goals.

The English Premier League is the best league in the world top to bottom and you can't go wrong following any team here, but I would suggest Arsenal, Chelsea, or Manchester United. Dempsy and Howard play for teams in the EPL, but I can't recall which ones (I do know that they are not any of the top tier teams). If you like feisty rough soccer this league is for you. There's no room to be a wilting flower in this league they tackle hard and make no excuses for it.

I hope this helps. Of course, if you want to stay stateside, follow any team in the MLS. The soccer is getting better, but not nearly to the level of any of the European leagues. The USA team could compete in Europe, but would probably be middle pf the pack in any of the leagues. European league play is even better than the World Cup, because they can buy the team they want.

Pappy
    Thanks for the info. So are these separate leagues or are they divisions in the same league?

I get the idea that you're saying EPL is the NFL, another is the USFL, another is NCAA, and the other is Arena league quality.

Any idea who gets broadcasted the most in the US?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon

Pappy
    Thanks for the info. So are these separate leagues or are they divisions in the same league?

I get the idea that you're saying EPL is the NFL, another is the USFL, another is NCAA, and the other is Arena league quality.

Any idea who gets broadcasted the most in the US?
    I think it's more like 4 separate NFLs that combine to play a big tournament.