Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger makes surprise appearance at annual camp

Roethlisberger makes surprise appearance at annual camp

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true

NFL.com Wire Reports

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was a surprise visitor Wednesday at the youth football camp that he usually runs each summer in Mars, Pa.

Roethlisberger has led the camp at Mars Area High School the past two years, but he begged off the duty this year after experiencing legal problems, including being accused of rape at a Georgia nightclub in March, but not prosecuted.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin ran the camp, and he even brought his 8- and 9-year-old sons -- but Roethlisberger made a surprise visit on the final day.

"I love coming out here and participating with these guys and having fun, seeing the smile on their face," Roethlisberger told Pittsburgh television station KDKA.

"One kid - he dropped a pass," Roethlisberger added, "but he was excited because he got to at least attempt to catch it. To see the smile on some of the kids' faces when they catch touchdowns and they're high-fiving and - it just it brings joy to your life."

Tomlin said he has enjoyed the chance to "baby sit" the camp and might return next year, even though he expects Roethlisberger to be back running it.

Steelers tight end Heath Miller also helped out in Roethlisberger's absence.

"I know that Ben's looking forward to moving forward and he's excited about it," Miller told KDKA. "As teammates, we've got to be there for him and move forward as well."

Camper Bethany Carcaise, of Illinois, said she missed Roethlisberger "because he used to play with us more. He acted like a kid."

"I'm having a blast," Roethlisberger said. "I'm sweating more than most of these kids, running around, and I'm dying out here. But if they have fun, I'm having fun."

Re: Roethlisberger makes surprise appearance at annual camp

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d818cd6f2&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

NFL.com Wire Reports

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was a surprise visitor Wednesday at the youth football camp that he usually runs each summer in Mars, Pa.

Roethlisberger has led the camp at Mars Area High School the past two years, but he begged off the duty this year after experiencing legal problems, including being accused of rape at a Georgia nightclub in March, but not prosecuted.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin ran the camp, and he even brought his 8- and 9-year-old sons -- but Roethlisberger made a surprise visit on the final day.

"I love coming out here and participating with these guys and having fun, seeing the smile on their face," Roethlisberger told Pittsburgh television station KDKA.

"One kid - he dropped a pass," Roethlisberger added, "but he was excited because he got to at least attempt to catch it. To see the smile on some of the kids' faces when they catch touchdowns and they're high-fiving and - it just it brings joy to your life."

Tomlin said he has enjoyed the chance to "baby sit" the camp and might return next year, even though he expects Roethlisberger to be back running it.

Steelers tight end Heath Miller also helped out in Roethlisberger's absence.

"I know that Ben's looking forward to moving forward and he's excited about it," Miller told KDKA. "As teammates, we've got to be there for him and move forward as well."

Camper Bethany Carcaise, of Illinois, said she missed Roethlisberger "because he used to play with us more. He acted like a kid."

"I'm having a blast," Roethlisberger said. "I'm sweating more than most of these kids, running around, and I'm dying out here. But if they have fun, I'm having fun."
    I think this was a great PR move. Mainly, because it made me smile and feel good!!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

It's cool to see that the kids seem to really love Ben. Maybe their parents haven't had a chance to color their opinion of him yet...

People generally have short term memories- by the time he comes back to play, this will all be forgotten....

Now, what were we talking about?
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

The cynic in me says this was all carefully orchestrated in an attempt to repair Ben's image. No one can really believe the 'surprise' visit was completely unplanned. I give Ben some due that he even made the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    The cynic in me says this was all carefully orchestrated in an attempt to repair Ben's image. No one can really believe the 'surprise' visit was completely unplanned. I give Ben some due that he even made the effort.

That would be cynical.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

Cynical but true. Obviously PR move. With that said, it's good for him to make these kinds of efforts no matter the motive at this point. Fake it til ya make it as they say in some circles of recovery. Ben has some growing up to do and it will start with him making some efforts that don't revolve around him. I hope to see Ben's do good attitude become part of his life. It will serve him and his community well.

Legend

This is not a PR move. It's what he would usually be doing if he wasn't in trouble.

If they created this camp on the fly then it's a PR move. This was his camp and they told him to stay away due to his legal problems.... it's not PR, it's what he should be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Cynical but true. Obviously PR move. With that said, it's good for him to make these kinds of efforts no matter the motive at this point. Fake it til ya make it as they say in some circles of recovery. Ben has some growing up to do and it will start with him making some efforts that don't revolve around him. I hope to see Ben's do good attitude become part of his life. It will serve him and his community well.
    Is it possible that he just wanted to be there?
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Is it possible that he just wanted to be there?