Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers' Training Camp Position Battles: Nickel CB

Re: Steelers' Training Camp Position Battles: Nickel CB

I like the idea of Lewis, Butler, and Burnett being #1-3 in a couple years.

Ike is getting up there, Gay is useless, and McFadden likely wont sign on again after his current 3 years are up if those guys show they can play. If one of them falters, well then sign up McFadden for a few more years again!

The future sounds promising right now. I just hope it all works out.

As for this year, I see Gay getting cut if Lewis and Burnett show normal 2nd year player progression and if Butler shows he can adequately fill in if needed as a #3 or #4 CB. Remember...Gay was only a 5th round pick who was basically handed a starting job. It wont be a big loss.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock
    I like the idea of Lewis, Butler, and Burnett being #1-3 in a couple years.

Ike is getting up there, Gay is useless, and McFadden likely wont sign on again after his current 3 years are up if those guys show they can play. If one of them falters, well then sign up McFadden for a few more years again!

The future sounds promising right now. I just hope it all works out.

As for this year, I see Gay getting cut if Lewis and Burnett show normal 2nd year player progression and if Butler shows he can adequately fill in if needed as a #3 or #4 CB. Remember...Gay was only a 5th round pick who was basically handed a starting job. It wont be a big loss.
    I agree with you because I think Gay has peaked. Unfortunately, I think he stays one more year because we are always dealing with the "complexity of the defense" issue which seems to keep players like Tyrone Carter, Deshea Townsend and Gay around longer than they should because of knowledge instead of performance.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

I don't want to write Gay off yet. He was as good as or even better than McFadden 2 years ago. He and McFadden were both lousy last year and I don't think either one of them is the answer but don't expect us to be better just because we have McFadden back.

I hope one of the new guys develops into a star. Imagine if we developed 2 real cover corners and could play tight on the outside. With the strength of our front 7 we would be the best defense ever. But for now I just hope our guys get their confidence back and stop giving up big plays. Play the defense the way DL designed it and we will be fine.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Don't know who wins it at this point in the off season. What I do know is the return of McFadden, another year for Gay, year 2 for Burnett & Lewis, and the addition of a raw talent like Butler...Makes the CB position a strength.

Before the draft & as the draft unfolded I was worried. After the trade for McFadden...It went away! The question marks of the young players can sort themselves out now. It doesn't have to be this year with McFadden starting.

I'll take Gay through Butler against another teams 3-5 WRs if they had to be matched up in man. However, in this system, #3 & #4 CB need to be instinctive in a zone. Those guys can give you that until they are ready to step in at #1 & #2. Taylor & McFadden in base will be the difference. Troy is back healthy and whomever ends up being #2 & #3 for nickel & dime will have at least a year under his belt or more. Unless...This Butler kid looks as good with the pads on as he did in OTA's. He has skills.

wouldn't it be great if CB was a position of strength instead of the weakness it was last year?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Don't know who wins it at this point in the off season. What I do know is the return of McFadden, another year for Gay, year 2 for Burnett & Lewis, and the addition of a raw talent like Butler...Makes the CB position a strength.

Before the draft & as the draft unfolded I was worried. After the trade for McFadden...It went away! The question marks of the young players can sort themselves out now. It doesn't have to be this year with McFadden starting.

I'll take Gay through Butler against another teams 3-5 WRs if they had to be matched up in man. However, in this system, #3 & #4 CB need to be instinctive in a zone. Those guys can give you that until they are ready to step in at #1 & #2. Taylor & McFadden in base will be the difference. Troy is back healthy and whomever ends up being #2 & #3 for nickel & dime will have at least a year under his belt or more. Unless...This Butler kid looks as good with the pads on as he did in OTA's. He has skills.

wouldn't it be great if CB was a position of strength instead of the weakness it was last year?
    Will it make a difference if Troy misses any time? The defense seems to collapse without him. Hopefully Will Allen can do more than Ty Carter.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

Will it make a difference if Troy misses any time? The defense seems to collapse without him. Hopefully Will Allen can do more than Ty Carter.

There's what the issue was. I don't think the problem was that the defense can't survive without Troy, I think the problem was the the defense couldn't survive with Carter.

You take away the leagues fastest and most athletic safety and replace him with one of the oldest and most physically challenged safeties, and something is bound to break in an awful way.