Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Ben's refusal to quit drinking could be a big mistake

Legend

User Info Menu

Big Ben's refusal to quit drinking could be a big mistake

Big Ben's refusal to quit drinking could be a big mistake

Posted by Mike Florio on June 12, 2010

Earlier this week, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger began the long, difficult process of reconnecting with Pittsburgh fans by making one important but unexpected step -- giving access to the Pittsburgh media. Closer review of the contents of Roethlisberger's interview illustrates the risk of talking publicly prior to the league office's proclamation of final judgment as to whether his six-game suspension will be reduced, or expanded.

Specifically, after everything he has endured over the past year, Roethlisberger is not yet prepared to swear off drinking alcohol.

"Moving forward you have to make sure you make right decisions, and that right decision is going to have to be something I'll have to make when the situation presents itself, how the situation presents itself," Roethlisberger said during his recent interview. "You can't stop living, but you gotta live smarter."

Though we're not privy to the specific restrictions that the league has placed on Roethlisberger, it's fairly safe to assume that the NFL hasn't issued a "thou shalt not" mandate regarding beer and other boozes. (Then again, that would require an assumption that Roethlisberger isn't a complete and total idiot, an assumption that many may not regard as safe.)

Even if the league has imposed no alcohol ban on Big Ben, he can't dispute that he has shown bad judgment, or that alcohol impairs judgment -- especially the ability to judge whether or not more alcohol should be consumed. So why would he entrust himself to "make right decisions" after drinking something that tends to impede that process?

If he truly intends to make a commitment to steer clear of any and all trouble, he'd avoid consuming anything that could lead him directly toward it. The fact that he doesn't get that makes us wonder whether he still doesn't "get it."

[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...a-big-mistake/"]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...a-big-mistake/[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Big Ben's refusal to quit drinking could be a big mistake

Ben never said that. Florio once again is reaching for web hits.

All he said was he doesn't have a booze problem.

And part of the NFL's evaluation by their experts, would be to determine if he did.

And if they thought he did? They would forbid him to drink and treat him the same way they treat players who are substance abuse violators. He tests positive for booze? Done.

So for him to say that? I would assume the NFL agrees. Because if they did he wouldn't have answered it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Florio is a douchebag.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash

And part of the NFL's evaluation by their experts, would be to determine if he did.

And if they thought he did? They would forbid him to drink and treat him the same way they treat players who are substance abuse violators. He tests positive for booze? Done.

So for him to say that? I would assume the NFL agrees. Because if they did he wouldn't have answered it.
    He may not (we the fans do not know one way or the other) have a booze problem,
    but maybe he can not handle too much booze. Hence, reason for making mistakes.

Legend

User Info Menu

How in the world would it be legal for the league to impose a no alcohol ban on a player? Isn't Florio a lawyer?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    How in the world would it be legal for the league to impose a no alcohol ban on a player? Isn't Florio a lawyer?
    I'm not sure how the league gets away with a lot of things but I believe Favre was prohibited from drinking alcohol.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL

He may not (we the fans do not know one way or the other) have a booze problem,
    but maybe he can not handle too much booze. Hence, reason for making mistakes.
    Some who were there say he was boozing it up. Others say he was only nursing a beer.

It's human nature to assume that because he was in a bar that alcohol was a factor. The truth is that no one knows for sure.

Backup

User Info Menu

Or maybe its simply non of our business. Ben also said that it runs in the family. Did it occur to anyone that perhaps Ben's biggest issue is his love to party?

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah I wonder how the NFL came to those conclusions. I don't know if Ben is an alcoholic or not. But, I suspect that he very well could be in the early stages of alcoholism. I do believe some of the reports of Ben exposing himself and being sexually inappropriate while intoxicated support that notion. And generally, when someone without a drinking problem is confronted with the possibility that they might have an issue, have seen some negative results from the alcohol they easily put it down without much resistance. Most alcoholics are not living under a bridge...many don't drink everyday...etc. There are so many stereotypes that are just plain inaccurate. If Ben binge drinks and has negative consequences as a result then that goes a long way to support the diagnosis of alcoholism.

This might be the first and last time I agree with Florio but it would have been best to get Ben treated for alcohol abuse and placed in the substance abuse program. The problem? The NFL has been notoriously lax in it's views on alcohol.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    It's very legal. The NFL as an independent organization has a right to ask it's participants to abstain from substance that could effect their play and on/off the field behavior. Don't players in the substance abuse program have to abstain from alcohol as well? If you work for Honda and you go out and get a DUI they are well within their right to ask you to get evaluated for alcoholism. If that evaluation reveals the fact that the person does indeed have alcoholism that company can mandate a no drinking policy for that individual. If the employee doesn't like it...they can look for work elsewhere. I can't see why this would be any different.
    Trolls are people too.