Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long ramblings of a hurting kid

Legend

User Info Menu

Long ramblings of a hurting kid

I saw on FB yesterday that my mom was readmitted to the psych eval ward in So Cal. She is 78 and had Parkinsons with severe dementia. Over the last year she has fallen into the black hole of being someone different.

I spoke with her last week on the way to DJ a wedding. She didn't know who I was, but was congratulating me on my getting married. I didn't try to clear it up. It was no use. I just thanked her.

Right now my nephew is there with my dad (83 yrs old). My folks have been married for 53 years. He is very pained but too stubborn to admit it. It is clear to us all anyway.

I called him last night to see if he wanted me to be out there with him. He said no.

In 1982 I left the religion that I was raised with because I couldn't buy into it anymore. I am very devout in my faith, and I promise no one considers it a cult (OK maybe Flippy might. Just kidding, Flippy!). They never could come to grips with it.

After my conversion (don't get hung up on this word, it's not the point here) My dad told my siblings to not talk to me anymore. That has softened, but this type of treatment continues. I haven't spoken with my oldest brother since 1998.

When I divorced my dad was in favor of it. That was a very bad situation by most everyone's assessment. Almost immediately my parents virtually ignored me and started hanging around with my ex. They even passed up my wife's surprise 5 year wedding anniversary party she threw for me because they were busy and the cleaning lady was supposed to come that day. They did manage to make it to my ex's remarriage, though.

This is how my family is.

There was a time I told them that their priority of being with my ex - who has spent thousands to keep my son from me and threatened me with court action if I ever pissed her off - was causing a rift, and that it was just plain wrong. I told them that if they continued in this course of action I would be forced to sever my relationship with them. They told me that they were not changing their stance, so we didn't communicate for over two years.

I finally contacted them to donate my DJ services for their 50th wedding anniversary, but only if they took my ex off of the guest list. They decided a few weeks later to do so, but only after many of my family members gave them the riot act.

So here I am, very much the black sheep, watching my mother get institutionalized and my dad's health go down hill along with his energy to go on.

Yet he doesn't want me.

I don't know why I wrote this. I am still debating on hitting the submit button or not. Truth is I value the membership on this board in my life. Crazy, I know, but the acceptance I have felt here is warming.

Thanks all. Promise your legacy that you will choose love and family over what ever fears you have. I don't know how I will talk about my parents when they are gone. It won't be long before I have to figure out what I will say though.

God bless you all.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Long ramblings of a hurting kid

DJ-

No words I have can ease your pain just know that we are praying for you and your family

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ugh...sometimes stubbornness can get the best of us (that trait certainly runs in my family). You wish that strained relationships could somehow magically heal, but that rarely happens in the real world where people tend to hold grudges long after they can really remember what upset them in the first place. I am sorry to hear about the failing health of your parents (dementia is especially cruel). All I can say is do what you can to make peace with your parents while they are still here (I realize that can be difficult when your mother does not remember who you are). And when one of them passes, try to take that opportunity to mend fences with siblings that you have not talked to in a long time. They may continue to be stubborn, but do what you can to at least make that effort. That's all I got for now. Sorry, man.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

When I left home and went off to college at 17, my mom called me every day. I had no time for her really between school, work, girls, parties, etc. But she never let it stop her. She still left positive messages for me every single day despite me never calling back.

She did this for years and now many years later, I talk to her or my dad every single day. Rarely missing a day and chance to speak to them. Our lives are millions of miles apart but we always make time for one another. And it definitely wasn't because of me. It was because of my mom.

So what does this have to do with anything, I'm not really sure. But I do believe that anyone can work out anything with anyone. You just need to be persistent. Even if the other side doesn't reciprocate. It may take days, months, or even years, but if you persist, you will have done everything you can.

Reciprocation matters, but it doesn't really. We need to define who we are and what we want in this world. And we must pursue it. Whatever it is. Because we know it's the right thing.

I've seen people struggle with the exact same thing and I would encourage you to try to have a positive relationship with your ex wife and your parents/family.

It's just better for everyone to get along. And someone has to let go of their pride to make this sort of thing work. I think that you're the kind of guy that can let go of the past even if your ex/parents/family can't. And if you do get to the point of being ready to mend the relationship, they may not be at the same point. And they may never get there.

But you can fix you and move forward without these feelings you have right now holding onto you.

I'd also encourage that you talk to someone about this. Stress is horrible. And we all need help. I think it's typically best to seek guidance on this sort of thing from a psychiatrist or pastor. Women tend to do this and men don't, but they should. We all need help and they can give you practical steps to work through this.

I saw a recent add for Dr Phil saying that anyone can get along with anyone and he was going to talk to a mom and a step-mom to figure out how they could get over their differences and get over hating each other.

Sorry, didn't watch the show or I'd tell you how they did it.

I used to be a grudge holder myself. Now I realize no one's gonna overlook my flaws if I don't overlook theirs first.

This is a real tough situation, but I know you'll figure it out and make it right. I have faith in you. But then again I drink flippy-aide and wear rose colored glasses :lol so I know it's not easy.

Good luck.

Legend

User Info Menu

Thanks Flippy.

I try to get along with everyone. In my ex's case she has drawn a line in the sand. Our peace depends on my doing what she says. We get along now that I live in CO and he is in So Cal.

As for my parents I make it a point to call them at least once a week, often more, since the 50th anniversary a few years ago. They haven't called me once. Even when Mom fell in the airport in Salt Lake and was put in the hospital for three days. I didn't find out for about a week. My two brothers who are in Illinois and Iowa were notified right away and flew out to be with them.

When my nephew came to visit my parents in So Cal - he lived in South America at the time - I found out from my son. I went to pick him up at my ex's house, and he told me he had dinner with my nephew the night before. My folks called my ex to have dinner with him. I wasn't in that loop.

It's just my family. Part of the problem is that I don't play games anymore. So, I break the rules. So now I'm the target.

It would cost me my integrity to not be the target, and there isn't enough return for that loss that I can imagine.

Thanks for the thoughts. I knew this brain trust board would have good things to say.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)

Legend

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear all that. I'm sure it hurts.

My inlaws never call my wife. I feel bad about it a lot. So I can empathize with what you're going thru. Sometimes it really gets her down and she doesn't want to persist in calling them. So sometimes I persist on her behalf and hit the brick wall pretty regularly myself

At the end of the day, as much as you'd like, you can't control what other people will do. And you just have to be happy or working toward being happy knowing you're doing what's right every day.

It ain't easy being Peezy, bro.

Backup

User Info Menu

So sorry DJ, having to receive upsetting family news via FB is rough. No matter how much we may try, family stuff always hurts. I remember thinking before I left home that it would be great when I was all grown up and wouldn't need/seek my parents approval anymore....silly girl.

I hope your Mom is as comfortable as possible, and that things get easier for you.

Legend

User Info Menu

DJ sometimes we need to do what we need to do to find peace. That won't make everyone happy. We are not to be people pleasers. What is the use of your parents faith that you don't buy into? That serves no good purpose in your life and will only cause you pain in the long run.

This is a problem within your Dad and not you. Try not to internalize his issues. It's hard because all sons want their dad's approval even if they think they don't. Why does he feel the need to control your belief system? I have two girls and if they eventually choose to take their own path to peace I have to be ok with that. They will still be my girls. A parent doesn't have to agree with you to support you.

I wish I had an answer for you. All you can do is let your Dad know you are there for them if they want you. If he chooses to die estranged from his son then that is on his head...not yours.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Well said Shawn. I agree with your stance.

I don't want the religious angle to be the focus here, so I won't tell you if it was Mormon, Catholic, Baptist or anything. I just couldn't do it. And, yes, my ability to work with all of the aspects of my person require that I buy into them or abandon them. That's just personal integrity IMO.

I couldn't buy into theirs. I don't slam it or go against it. I just don't want anything to do with it.

I let it go as much as I can, but like every healthy person, I want to have a great relationship with my family. It only depends on me to a point, and have reached that point. Beyond that it's on them.

I still wish it would change.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    Well said Shawn. I agree with your stance.

I don't want the religious angle to be the focus here, so I won't tell you if it was Mormon, Catholic, Baptist or anything. I just couldn't do it. And, yes, my ability to work with all of the aspects of my person require that I buy into them or abandon them. That's just personal integrity IMO.

I couldn't buy into theirs. I don't slam it or go against it. I just don't want anything to do with it.

I let it go as much as I can, but like every healthy person, I want to have a great relationship with my family. It only depends on me to a point, and have reached that point. Beyond that it's on them.

I still wish it would change.
    Yeah, I don't think the main issue here is the brand of belief one wears. It's about interpersonal dynamics within the family structure. Obviously, I don't see the big picture because I don't know your family. With that said, willingness to cut off a child because they take their own path is seeded with dysfunction. Why can't your father respect your ability to decide for yourself? Why would he feel a need to cut you off because of these beliefs? It's hard not to internalize. Again...this isn't your issue...it's your dads.

I was very fortunate. I was able to make a break from some of the legalism that I absorbed through the faith I was exposed to at an early age. My mother knows my views. While she might not agree with all of them she still accepts me and loves me. She can express her views and I can express mine in a safe setting of love, tolerance and acceptance. We can agree to disagree...hug and be mother and son. I am very thankful for that.
    Trolls are people too.