Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Big Ben one of the most disliked people in sports

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Big Ben one of the most disliked people in sports

I don't think that people really believed that the Steelers were and have always been comprised of choirboys. That's is almost impossible, but there is a difference between crimes. And the Steelers do not continuously have a win at all costs no matter what the crime mentality, ala the Bengals, Cowboys, Redskins, etc. Sure, every fan wants their team to win, but you would also like to think that these guys know the difference between right and wrong. If ben went out and got drunk and raised a little hell, I don't think people would life an eyebrow. He crossed a line with the latest incident, and I think that's what people reacted to. I am not counting Ben out but I realize how tough a climb it will be for him before people start thinking more about his game on the field than off of it. If he starts acting his age a bit, maybe express a bit of remorse for putting his team in the position he did, maybe even throw himself under the bus to show a little humility, and maybe starts acting like a guy who signed a 100 million dollar contract, he will be just fine. But nobody liked a guy who thinks he is better than everyone else, and that's the rep Ben has right now. It will be tough for him to shake it, but that's up to him.

And, for the record, while I still love ben as a player, I would never have the attitude that I don't care what Steeler players do off the field, as long as they win on it. Ever.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    I don't think that people really believed that the Steelers were and have always been comprised of choirboys. That's is almost impossible, but there is a difference between crimes. And the Steelers do not continuously have a win at all costs no matter what the crime mentality, ala the Bengals, Cowboys, Redskins, etc. Sure, every fan wants their team to win, but you would also like to think that these guys know the difference between right and wrong. If ben went out and got drunk and raised a little hell, I don't think people would life an eyebrow. He crossed a line with the latest incident, and I think that's what people reacted to. I am not counting Ben out but I realize how tough a climb it will be for him before people start thinking more about his game on the field than off of it. If he starts acting his age a bit, maybe express a bit of remorse for putting his team in the position he did, maybe even throw himself under the bus to show a little humility, and maybe starts acting like a guy who signed a 100 million dollar contract, he will be just fine. But nobody liked a guy who thinks he is better than everyone else, and that's the rep Ben has right now. It will be tough for him to shake it, but that's up to him.

And, for the record, while I still love ben as a player, I would never have the attitude that I don't care what Steeler players do off the field, as long as they win on it. Ever.
    Good post and I agree.

I stated in another post that most people do not like to be treated badly. I care how players treat people off the field. I care how human beings treat one another. IMO, Ben has a bad rep on that front in regards to women. Some people will be willing to forgive him and some people won't. It's the image he created. It's an image he will have to attempt to repair.

Legend

User Info Menu

teryy long
    gilliam

etc etc

Starter

User Info Menu

As far as any of us knows, that's all it is.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8

As far as any of us knows, that's all it is.
    Absolutely cruzer, I totally agree to that. This could be nothign more than people taking this opportunity to pile on Ben right now. But like I said, this is the rep he has, and it's up to him to do something about it. Ben can put this all behind him through his actions alone. I really, really hope he cares enough to do so, because I would love to cheer him on for his ability on the field and not feel bad about it.