Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 18 Game Season in 2012 proposal given to players' union

Legend

User Info Menu

18 Game Season in 2012 proposal given to players' union

Owners like it, apparently.

I wonder if injuries increase towards the end of the season? The NFL might be killing the golden egg-laying goose if they lose their stars due to fatigue-induced injury, just to gain 2/16 more revenue (gate, TV, etc.).

I'm not sure I'm in favor of it ...

[url="http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/16/n-f-l-brings-expanded-season-proposal-to-union/?hpw"]http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010 ... union/?hpw[/url]
    June 16, 2010, 3:43 pm
    N.F.L. Brings Expanded Season Proposal to Union
    By LYNN ZINSER

At a meeting between the N.F.L. and the players’ association negotiating teams in New York on Wednesday, the league spelled out its proposal for expanding the regular season to 18 games while cutting preseason games back to two. The two sides met for several hours in their first session since early February.

The two sides did not discuss any of the issues involved, said Mark Murphy, the president of the Packers, who is a member of the N.F.L.’s negotiating team. Murphy said most of the details of expanding the regular season would have to be ironed out in negotiations, including potentially expanding rosters, altering the off-season schedule and changing injured-reserve rules. Murphy said 2012 would be the earliest an 18-game schedule could be started.

According to the union, the players’ main concerns involve increased risk of injury in a longer season.

“I’ve been blessed to play this game for so long, but it’s time to start thinking about what legacy and impact changes like this will leave for the players of tomorrow and us after we retire.” Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis said in a statement released by the players’ association. “I know our fans may not like preseason games and I don’t like all of them, but swapping two preseason games for two end-of-season games—when players already play hurt—comes at a huge cost for the player and the team.”

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady said: “I’ve taken part in several postseason runs where we have played 20 games. The long-term impact this game has on our bodies is well documented.”

Murphy said an N.F.L. study has shown that injury rates do not increase as the season progresses, but that the league was sensitive to the players’ safety fears. He said the league would look at the structure of the off-season, consider a bye week between the preseason and regular season and other modifications the players might propose.

The union has also suggested that players’ compensation should be boosted because of the addition of two regular season games. The league’s position is that because the overall number of games does not change, player pay should remain the same.

“In the current system, players are our partners,” Murphy said, referring to player compensation being approximately 60 percent of league revenues under the salary cap system. “If we can grow revenue and improve the game, they benefit.”

The expanded regular season has not been voted on by N.F.L. owners, Murphy said, but added, “It has a lot of momentum among the owners. It addresses a real problem we have in our league, the quality of the preseason.”

The league also proposed starting a developmental league, with the goal of giving more preparation time to young players that would be lost by cutting out preseason games. Murphy said that starters rarely play more than five or six quarters of the preseason and the major beneficiaries of the extra time are young players and backups.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: 18 Game Season in 2012 proposal given to players' union

Union bristles at league's P.R. campaign on "enhanced season"

Posted by Mike Florio on June 16, 2010

The NFL and the players' union met Wednesday for the first time since February 25 to negotiate the terms of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Not long after the session ended, Packer president Mark Murphy made a beeline to the media regarding the so-called "enhanced season," a term that we previously thought was a reference to Brian Cushing's award-winning rookie year.

The union isn't pleased, we're told, by the league's efforts to so quickly take the details public. Though the two sides in this slow-motion square dance long ago abandoned their agreement to keep the content of the talks confidential, the league's brazen rush to the microphones will cause more problems than it solves.

Meanwhile, a union source expressed concern regarding the possibility of additional injuries via an 18-game regular season, pointing out that the folks charged with determining the risks of adding extra games "are the same people who for decades denied that concussions are linked to brain damage."

We're told that no further talks currently are scheduled. And that may be the best news of the day. If the first talks in nearly four months served only to piss one side off, they're better off not talking at all.

[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/16/union-bristles-at-leagues-pr-campaign-on-enhanced-season/"]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ed-season/[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am not in favor of it at all.

If it does go through, there should expanded roster sizes.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Legend

User Info Menu

I vote no.

Wish I had a vote.

Legend

User Info Menu

No issue with 18 games as long as they expand rosters, both total and gameday.

We all read about the same "concerns" when they went from 14 to 16 games.

For a player making the league minimum of $350K (I think) that is a little less than $20K per game/week for 18 weeks. Would anyone on this board turn that down?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Should free up some season tickets. Hopefully some out there can't afford tickets for an extra game.

And the extra game should also drive down scalpers prices since there will be an extra game and more tickets available.

Actually it would be cool if teams sent an extra charge for the PSL for the rights to the seat for the extra game. That could shake out some extra season tickets.

Or what if they offered a 1 game PSL to the folks on the waiting list and sold that 1 extra game ticket to a different fan?

There's a huge opportunity here for more fans to get tickets.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't want expanded rosters of guys who aren't good enough to make an NFL roster now.

I want quality players in good health.

To use how much they make (given the severe punishments their bodies take) is a short sighted point of view, imo.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    I don't want expanded rosters of guys who aren't good enough to make an NFL roster now.

To use how much they make (given the severe punishments their bodies take) is a short sighted point of view, imo.
    There are lots of great guys out there that weren't good enough to make a roster.

Guys like James Harrison and Kurt Warner come to immediately to mind.

And young guys on the roster would get a better shot at developing more quickly which is a good thing with dressing more guys.

And there'd be some interesting strategy in all of this for the better teams.

Look how many guys we cut who get signed by someone else.

We could develop more players and keep them.

It's a positive for good teams.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy

There are lots of great guys out there that weren't good enough to make a roster.

Guys like James Harrison and Kurt Warner come to immediately to mind.

And young guys on the roster would get a better shot at developing more quickly which is a good thing with dressing more guys.

And there'd be some interesting strategy in all of this for the better teams.

Look how many guys we cut who get signed by someone else.

We could develop more players and keep them.

It's a positive for good teams.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i agree. i hate the idea of an 18 game season. they would have to expand the rosters but that isnt a good thing either. i want to see the very best football. i dont want to see a diluted version of the nfl with a bunch of scrubs playing just because of injuries because of the extra games. why mess with the way things are now?