Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Ben's refusal to quit drinking could be a big mistake

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Big Ben's refusal to quit drinking could be a big mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    I don't drink at all. Never had any desire to drink or smoke or do any drugs other than Tylenol and the like. The whole concept of getting drunk or high just seemed dumb to me and I didn't want to be a part of it, even though I understood that I was in a miniscule minority in high school, college, and even today. I prefer to keep my wits about me, and if I want a brief escape from some of the dredgeries of everyday life, I can watch a movie, play a game, do something athletic, etc. That works for me. Therefore, I don't have much of a frame of reference to comment on the effects of alcohol, since I never experienced it myself.

That being said, my opinion is that alcohol almost certainly played a significant role in whatever happened in Millegeville that night. But I have no reason to believe that Ben, the girl, or anyone else there is an alcoholic, just because there were some negative consequences that evening.
    Fair enough...but the fact that alcohol likely played a role supports the notion of alcohol abuse at the very least. I know a professional white collar recovering alcoholic who only drank 1-2 times a month. But, many times when he drank he got himself into fights or legal troubles. He was diagnosed by some of the best minds in addiction with alcoholism.
    I could see that, but none of Ben's previous offseason issues were alcohol related. Biking without a helmet was profoundly stupid, but no alcohol was involved in that accident. In Tahoe, he was a horndog with questionable taste, but again, no reports of anything alcohol related there. We just have this latest incident that occurred in a bar where alcohol was being served and both Ben and the underaged girl were partaking at the time. I think there needs to be some sort of longitudinal evidence (like with the white collar professional you mentioned who only drank once or twice a month but tended to get into fights or other legal trouble on those occassions) before we could even consider alcoholism as a possibility.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't drink at all. Never had any desire to drink or smoke or do any drugs other than Tylenol and the like. The whole concept of getting drunk or high just seemed dumb to me and I didn't want to be a part of it, even though I understood that I was in a miniscule minority in high school, college, and even today. I prefer to keep my wits about me, and if I want a brief escape from some of the dredgeries of everyday life, I can watch a movie, play a game, do something athletic, etc. That works for me. Therefore, I don't have much of a frame of reference to comment on the effects of alcohol, since I never experienced it myself.

That being said, my opinion is that alcohol almost certainly played a significant role in whatever happened in Millegeville that night. But I have no reason to believe that Ben, the girl, or anyone else there is an alcoholic, just because there were some negative consequences that evening.
    Fair enough...but the fact that alcohol likely played a role supports the notion of alcohol abuse at the very least. I know a professional white collar recovering alcoholic who only drank 1-2 times a month. But, many times when he drank he got himself into fights or legal troubles. He was diagnosed by some of the best minds in addiction with alcoholism.
    I could see that, but none of Ben's previous offseason issues were alcohol related. Biking without a helmet was profoundly stupid, but no alcohol was involved in that accident. In Tahoe, he was a horndog with questionable taste, but again, no reports of anything alcohol related there. We just have this latest incident that occurred in a bar where alcohol was being served and both Ben and the underaged girl were partaking at the time. I think there needs to be some sort of longitudinal evidence (like with the white collar professional you mentioned who only drank once or twice a month but tended to get into fights or other legal trouble on those occassions) before we could even consider alcoholism as a possibility.
    I'm not saying getting drunk means you are an alcoholic. But, we have seen multiple pics of Ben drool on himself drunk...or at least he appears so in the pics. We now have an incident where alcohol was involved in some legal issues. If this is an isolated case...I agree with you. Keep an eye on him. But, something tells me that at his home when he allegedly pulled out his penis for a girl...he was drunk that time as well. Maybe Ben isn't an alcoholic...but because of the head injury he has less ability to handle his alcohol.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not saying getting drunk means you are an alcoholic. But, we have seen multiple pics of Ben drool on himself drunk...or at least he appears so in the pics. We now have an incident where alcohol was involved in some legal issues. If this is an isolated case...I agree with you. Keep an eye on him. But, something tells me that at his home when he allegedly pulled out his penis for a girl...he was drunk that time as well. Maybe Ben isn't an alcoholic...but because of the head injury he has less ability to handle his alcohol.
    I'm not a doctor and you are, so I'll defer to your expertise here, but I must admit that this is the first that I have ever heard of such a possibility.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not a doctor and you are, so I'll defer to your expertise here, but I must admit that this is the first that I have ever heard of such a possibility.
    Head injuries especially frontal lobe injuries can significantly decrease inhibitions. Alcohol can do this as well. If you are predisposed towards some mild impulse control issues after a frontal lobe injury...alcohol can certainly exacerbate that.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

no one knows how much ben drinks so why speculate? no one knows him personally. there are a ton of pics out there of athletes wasted that doesnt mean they all have drinking problems. you can like to drink a lot and not have a drinking problem.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    no one knows how much ben drinks so why speculate? no one knows him personally. there are a ton of pics out there of athletes wasted that doesnt mean they all have drinking problems. you can like to drink a lot and not have a drinking problem.
    Says Frank the Tank

Starter

User Info Menu

Thanks for bringing the logic, Ruthless. Too many times addicts are quick to label others as addicts. Guess it makes them feel better about themselves or something.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would think many people knows about how much Ben drinks. It's relevant because if he does have a problem this won't be his last issue.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8
    Thanks for bringing the logic, Ruthless. Too many times addicts are quick to label others as addicts. Guess it makes them feel better about themselves or something.
    There is no need to be insulting.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Says Frank the Tank

You're on a roll.
    Trolls are people too.