Thread: what do you think of this idea

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

what do you think of this idea

I love football season as much as anyone else, but it really bums me out when the super bowl ends and there is no more football for 6 long months, so I have always had this idea and would like to see what you think (I know it would never happen)

keep the college football season the way it is now, from late august-early January..

push the start of the regular season for football from early september, to mid October, keep the season 16 games but add 2 byes instead of 1. This way the season runs from mid October all the way until the Super Bowl in mid March. Keep the draft the same time it is now and push free agency back one month to early April. Mini camps and training camps just get pushed back one month.

This way, I get football from late August (because of college) until Mid March, it is an extra month and half of football and it would keep players healthier and at the top of their game with that extra bye week. Not to mention pro football is meant to be played during the fall and winter rather than late summer baseball weather to start the first month of the season as it is now..

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: what do you think of this idea

heck, if you stretched it out until April, you could play the SuperBowl anywhere.

and what if you added 2 extra games by making the SuperBowl best of 3? with 2 home games and then a neutral field.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    heck, if you stretched it out until April, you could play the SuperBowl anywhere.

and what if you added 2 extra games by making the SuperBowl best of 3? with 2 home games and then a neutral field.
    i sense a bit of sarcasm.. ...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Not bad. As Flip said, it does open up more SB venues into the mix without the "cold weather argument. But no matter how you slice it, you still have about 6 months from end of NFL season to start of NFL season. The non-football gap reduction is good for those who are into college FB. College FB doesn't do much for me. It looks like a sloppier game occuring at a slower speed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JTP53609

i was serious. i like the idea of extending the season.

more football = better in my book

also why not add a week of rest for everyone before the playoff wildcards? everyone's beat up after 16 games. it'd be better to have the week off then because you can talk about 12 teams for 2 weeks instead of just 2 before the superbowl.

Backup

User Info Menu

also why not add a week of rest for everyone before the playoff wildcards? everyone's beat up after 16 games. it'd be better to have the week off then because you can talk about 12 teams for 2 weeks instead of just 2 before the superbowl.
    This isn't a bad idea. Not only would it give players a chance to rest, but it would encourage teams to play their starters the last few regular-season games ... otherwise, there would be too long of a layoff for teams with byes.
    http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7648/newwallacesig.gif

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Buy and/or import the Canadian Football League and have them play from Feb to September.

The Pittsburgh Roughriders !!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JTP53609

i was serious. i like the idea of extending the season.

more football = better in my book

I do like that idea too, 12 fully rested team before the playoffs......
    I really like this idea of mine,it would never happen, but it would be cool, like i said, football is meant for the fall, and winter, and we would have almost 7 full months of meaningful football between college and pro instead of the 5 and change we have now.....

Legend

User Info Menu

That was why I liked the USFL.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]