Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why won't Steelers extend Tomlin?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Why won't Steelers extend Tomlin?

I think this'll all work out, or the signing will be announced and everyone will be like "huh"? All teams have player issues, HHM mentioned the ones Cowher had, Noll had a guy shoot at a helicopter. It's just the way it is.

Tomlin's still a young guy, has some things to learn. Sure, once he mentioned "Unleash Hell" I would have loved to have seen some Jerry Glanville / Buddy Ryan kind of Quarterback pressure and we didn't after that but what can you do?

Hopefully this will get done and this wont be yet another piece of drama to have to deal with next off - season. I'd like a quiet off-season for a change.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim
    I think this'll all work out, or the signing will be announced and everyone will be like "huh"? All teams have player issues, HHM mentioned the ones Cowher had, Noll had a guy shoot at a helicopter. It's just the way it is.

Tomlin's still a young guy, has some things to learn. Sure, once he mentioned "Unleash Hell" I would have loved to have seen some Jerry Glanville / Buddy Ryan kind of Quarterback pressure and we didn't after that but what can you do?

Hopefully this will get done and this wont be yet another piece of drama to have to deal with next off - season. I'd like a quiet off-season for a change.
    I'll take a not so quiet offseason if it means we just won another superbowl.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LordVile
    Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    Why won't Steelers extend Tomlin?

By Bob Smizik | Thursday, 12:15 a.m.
    [url="http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/bobsmizik/default.aspx"]http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... fault.aspx[/url]

Are the Steelers unhappy with the job performance of Super Bowl-winning coach Mike Tomlin?

Strange as that might seen, it appears to be the case.

Historically, the Steelers have extended their coach when there were two years remaining on his contract. That is where Tomlin stands with his original contract with the Steelers. Yet there is little or no movement towards extending Tomlin, whose team failed to make the playoffs last season after winning the Super Bowl the previous year.

In his weekly chat at post-gazette.com Tuesday, Ed Bouchette shed some light on what was going on.

When Bouchette was asked if the team president Art Rooney was waiting to see how the upcoming season goes, Bouchette answered, ``There is no talk of any talks going on and the longer it lingers, the less likely it wMike Tomlinill get done.’’

A subsequent questioner mentioned the lack of negotiations and asked, `` Most people think that is because the Steelers are resistant to extending the deal, however, could it be that Tomlin's salary demands are too high?’’

Bouchette’s response was revealing. ``I don’t think the conversation has gotten anywhere near salary.’’

And, finally, this question: ``Which is more likely the CBA getting extended or Tomlin getting a new deal?’’

To which, Bouchette answered, ``I think we'll hit 2011 before either happens.’’

I’m not suggesting Bouchette as omnipotent in these matters, but his handle among the media is as good as any and better than almost, if not, all.

So what’s the problem? Why have the Steelers resisted extending a coach, who, if he were on the open market, would have suitors galore?

A hint of what the problem is might have come out when Santonio Holmes was traded. In some of the reporting of that trade, it was revealed that Holmes had been late for team meetings. Note the plural. How is it that a player is late for more than one meeting? Who does Holmes think he is? Plaxico Burress?

I was shocked when I read that Holmes had been tardy. I know it happens, but to happen multiple times on the Steelers -- where the coach knows ownership always has his back -- could be considered the sign of a team with discipline that is too lax.

I further learned, and this is hard to believe but it comes from a good source, that players were showing up late for flights. And Tomlin was accommodating their tardiness by holding the plane.

If that’s the kind of ship Tomlin is running, it’s perfectly understandable Rooney is hesitant to extend his contract.

In the aftermath of the recent disappointing season, where the Steelers too often relied on the passing of Ben Roethlisberger, Rooney let it be known he wanted to see a more efficient running game next season.

Maybe that’s not the only thing Rooney wants to see next season. Maybe he wants to see a coach more firmly in control of his team. That could have been, in part, the reason for trading Holmes. If Holmes were a flagrant rule-breaker, Rooney assisted Tomlin in re-establishing discipline by removing the problem from the team.

The last thing the Steelers want to do is not rehire Tomlin. No team in sports understand the importance of continuity. The Steelers, in fact, has shown the sporting world the importance of continuity. Tomlin has the makings of an excellent coach and the Steelers would love to have him here for decades.

But not if he can’t establish discipline on his own team.
    Coach Cowher wuldn't put up with all this BS, where as Tomlin seems to have little bark to his bite. Even about "unleashing hell", and then he doesn't stick to his guns and puts Willy Gay back in the game, he made very small changes and didn't back up his words, let alone the fact that many of the players are running AMOK. Cowher would get in the players faces and give discipline when necessary where as Tomlin is more lax and maybe more buddy buddy with the players. He needs to tighten up the ship.
    I will never understand the idea from fans that coaches can control what other grown men do. People have free wills. People will conduct themselves how they see fit. Many players got into trouble under a variety of coaches and organizations.

I knew that it was a bad idea for Tomlin to make that statement about unleashing hell. I say that because I knew some fans would take it at face value. Oh well, life is full of living and learning. I hope Tomlin never makes another statement like that again so fans won't use meaningless statements against him.

Tomlin will very rarely be able to back up his words in regards to what the players do on the field. That is because Tomlin does not step one foot onto the football field. I really don't know why they stuck with Gay as long as they did. I guess they wanted to give him a chance and felt he would eventually play better. Maybe they did not think anyone else would do much better? Not much the coaches when the talent is not there.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim

I'll take a not so quiet offseason if it means we just won another superbowl.

Agreed
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

I want to say that I hope Tomlin is the Steeler's coach for a long time.

That being said, I did call his leadership into question last season. I never called for his firing. Still, it seems that he needed to do more to get the game going.

Coaches can control the decisions of grown men by creating a culture of good decisions. Noll was the best at it, IMO. It is very overt at my work place, and I see it's effect on me regularly.

Tomlin needs to do better with this IMO.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan

That being said, I did call his leadership into question last season. I never called for his firing. Still, it seems that he needed to do more to get the game going.

Coaches can control the decisions of grown men by creating a culture of good decisions. Noll was the best at it, IMO. It is very overt at my work place, and I see it's effect on me regularly.

I suppose it is ashame that few bad apples spoil the majority of Steelers players that appear to keep themselves out of trouble. Should we question his leadership because of a few bad apples? Should we give him credit for the majority of players that keep themselves out of trouble? Do you see the dichotomy? It appears that some fans believe the minority rules when questioning his leadership. There will always be players on every team that have questionable characters, are immature, get into trouble, and make mistakes.

Tomlin could not control the decisions that Ben, Reed, and Holmes made. Nor can he control decisions any players make. All he can do is attempted to influence their decision making. I believe he tried to some extent. I believe others in the organization tried. Ultimately, it is up to each individual to decide.

In fairness, the NFL and world is a different place today then it was when Noll coached. I believe that the media and police would look the other way back in those days.

HeHateMe

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan

Coaches CANNOT police players. That is ridiculous. Hollywood Henderson was a coke addict right under Tom Landry's nose. How about Lawrence Taylor under Parcells nose? Michael Irvin under Jimmy Johnson. I could go on and on. This has NO BEARING on the coach.

Legend

User Info Menu

You have the wonder if hiring Tomlin was a Dan Rooney decision and Art II wasn't on board. Now that Art II is running the show he is just doing due diligence about the path he wants to take in the future.

If Art II doesn't resign Tomlin I will seriously question whether he is the right guy to keep this organization successful. Especially if it an ego issue because Tomlin didn't "obey him" and fire Arians. Bad precedent moving forward.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

It's my understanding that Cowher also had some favorites and let certain things slip by. There is probably more going on that we don't see. I would say the Rooneys are looking at this season to make a decision.
    Trolls are people too.