Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why won't Steelers extend Tomlin?

Why won't Steelers extend Tomlin?

By Bob Smizik | Thursday, 12:15 a.m.
    http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... fault.aspx

Are the Steelers unhappy with the job performance of Super Bowl-winning coach Mike Tomlin?

Strange as that might seen, it appears to be the case.

Historically, the Steelers have extended their coach when there were two years remaining on his contract. That is where Tomlin stands with his original contract with the Steelers. Yet there is little or no movement towards extending Tomlin, whose team failed to make the playoffs last season after winning the Super Bowl the previous year.

In his weekly chat at post-gazette.com Tuesday, Ed Bouchette shed some light on what was going on.

When Bouchette was asked if the team president Art Rooney was waiting to see how the upcoming season goes, Bouchette answered, ``There is no talk of any talks going on and the longer it lingers, the less likely it wMike Tomlinill get done.’’

A subsequent questioner mentioned the lack of negotiations and asked, `` Most people think that is because the Steelers are resistant to extending the deal, however, could it be that Tomlin's salary demands are too high?’’

Bouchette’s response was revealing. ``I don’t think the conversation has gotten anywhere near salary.’’

And, finally, this question: ``Which is more likely the CBA getting extended or Tomlin getting a new deal?’’

To which, Bouchette answered, ``I think we'll hit 2011 before either happens.’’

I’m not suggesting Bouchette as omnipotent in these matters, but his handle among the media is as good as any and better than almost, if not, all.

So what’s the problem? Why have the Steelers resisted extending a coach, who, if he were on the open market, would have suitors galore?

A hint of what the problem is might have come out when Santonio Holmes was traded. In some of the reporting of that trade, it was revealed that Holmes had been late for team meetings. Note the plural. How is it that a player is late for more than one meeting? Who does Holmes think he is? Plaxico Burress?

I was shocked when I read that Holmes had been tardy. I know it happens, but to happen multiple times on the Steelers -- where the coach knows ownership always has his back -- could be considered the sign of a team with discipline that is too lax.

I further learned, and this is hard to believe but it comes from a good source, that players were showing up late for flights. And Tomlin was accommodating their tardiness by holding the plane.

If that’s the kind of ship Tomlin is running, it’s perfectly understandable Rooney is hesitant to extend his contract.

In the aftermath of the recent disappointing season, where the Steelers too often relied on the passing of Ben Roethlisberger, Rooney let it be known he wanted to see a more efficient running game next season.

Maybe that’s not the only thing Rooney wants to see next season. Maybe he wants to see a coach more firmly in control of his team. That could have been, in part, the reason for trading Holmes. If Holmes were a flagrant rule-breaker, Rooney assisted Tomlin in re-establishing discipline by removing the problem from the team.

The last thing the Steelers want to do is not rehire Tomlin. No team in sports understand the importance of continuity. The Steelers, in fact, has shown the sporting world the importance of continuity. Tomlin has the makings of an excellent coach and the Steelers would love to have him here for decades.

But not if he can’t establish discipline on his own team.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Starter

Re: Why won't Steelers extend Tomlin?

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer

Are the Steelers unhappy with the job performance of Super Bowl-winning coach Mike Tomlin?

Historically, the Steelers have extended their coach when there were two years remaining on his contract. That is where Tomlin stands with his original contract with the Steelers. Yet there is little or no movement towards extending Tomlin, whose team failed to make the playoffs last season after winning the Super Bowl the previous year.

In his weekly chat at post-gazette.com Tuesday, Ed Bouchette shed some light on what was going on.

When Bouchette was asked if the team president Art Rooney was waiting to see how the upcoming season goes, Bouchette answered, ``There is no talk of any talks going on and the longer it lingers, the less likely it wMike Tomlinill get done.’’

A subsequent questioner mentioned the lack of negotiations and asked, `` Most people think that is because the Steelers are resistant to extending the deal, however, could it be that Tomlin's salary demands are too high?’’

Bouchette’s response was revealing. ``I don’t think the conversation has gotten anywhere near salary.’’

And, finally, this question: ``Which is more likely the CBA getting extended or Tomlin getting a new deal?’’

I’m not suggesting Bouchette as omnipotent in these matters, but his handle among the media is as good as any and better than almost, if not, all.

So what’s the problem? Why have the Steelers resisted extending a coach, who, if he were on the open market, would have suitors galore?

A hint of what the problem is might have come out when Santonio Holmes was traded. In some of the reporting of that trade, it was revealed that Holmes had been late for team meetings. Note the plural. How is it that a player is late for more than one meeting? Who does Holmes think he is? Plaxico Burress?

I was shocked when I read that Holmes had been tardy. I know it happens, but to happen multiple times on the Steelers -- where the coach knows ownership always has his back -- could be considered the sign of a team with discipline that is too lax.

I further learned, and this is hard to believe but it comes from a good source, that players were showing up late for flights. And Tomlin was accommodating their tardiness by holding the plane.

If that’s the kind of ship Tomlin is running, it’s perfectly understandable Rooney is hesitant to extend his contract.

In the aftermath of the recent disappointing season, where the Steelers too often relied on the passing of Ben Roethlisberger, Rooney let it be known he wanted to see a more efficient running game next season.

Maybe that’s not the only thing Rooney wants to see next season. Maybe he wants to see a coach more firmly in control of his team. That could have been, in part, the reason for trading Holmes. If Holmes were a flagrant rule-breaker, Rooney assisted Tomlin in re-establishing discipline by removing the problem from the team.

The last thing the Steelers want to do is not rehire Tomlin. No team in sports understand the importance of continuity. The Steelers, in fact, has shown the sporting world the importance of continuity. Tomlin has the makings of an excellent coach and the Steelers would love to have him here for decades.

Coach Cowher wuldn't put up with all this BS, where as Tomlin seems to have little bark to his bite. Even about "unleashing hell", and then he doesn't stick to his guns and puts Willy Gay back in the game, he made very small changes and didn't back up his words, let alone the fact that many of the players are running AMOK. Cowher would get in the players faces and give discipline when necessary where as Tomlin is more lax and maybe more buddy buddy with the players. He needs to tighten up the ship.
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg
    http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

I think it will get done eventually but I did read somewhere that he really stuck his neck out for the Steelers to keep BA which is a potential reason. What that really has to do with his extention is beyond me but that was the claimed reason.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LordVile
    Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer

Coach Cowher wuldn't put up with all this BS, where as Tomlin seems to have little bark to his bite. Even about "unleashing hell", and then he doesn't stick to his guns and puts Willy Gay back in the game, he made very small changes and didn't back up his words, let alone the fact that many of the players are running AMOK. Cowher would get in the players faces and give discipline when necessary where as Tomlin is more lax and maybe more buddy buddy with the players. He needs to tighten up the ship.
    People accused Cowher of doing the same thing.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jj28west
    I think it will get done eventually but I did read somewhere that he really stuck his neck out for the Steelers to keep BA which is a potential reason. What that really has to do with his extention is beyond me but that was the claimed reason.
    I think Tomlin is being made to wait to see if his decision to keep Arians works out. If it doesn't then I think he will be given an ultimatum to get rid of him. His future will then be based on what he does next.

The reality is that Tomlin is in a win-win situation. He will get extended by Steelers and work for a great organization or they won't extend him and another team will snap him up in a millisecond for lots of money. Think about it. Tomlin will be a young head coach under 40 years old who has already won a Super Bowl. He will have teams tripping over each other to sign him. The Steelers will be stupid not to lock him up and I will start to seriously question the reign of Art II.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by jj28west
    I think Tomlin is being made to wait to see if his decision to keep Arians works out. If it doesn't then I think he will be given an ultimatum to get rid of him. His future will then be based on what he does next.

The reality is that Tomlin is in a win-win situation. He will get extended by Steelers and work for a great organization or they won't extend him and another team will snap him up in a millisecond for lots of money. Think about it. Tomlin will be a young head coach under 40 years old who has already won a Super Bowl. He will have teams tripping over each other to sign him. The Steelers will be stupid not to lock him up and I will start to seriously question the reign of Art II.
    Maybe we could trade him like Oakland did with Gruden to Tampa Bay. Didn't they give up a 1st rounder?

Pro Bowler

The looking back in time through Black & Gold colored glasses regarding Cowher always makes me chuckle. For those around back on the old Trib board prior to SB 40 - Cowher was crucified on a regular basis. Just meriless - he's lost the team, he can't win the big one, his message is stale and tired, players have lost respect, blah, blah, blah.

Tomlin's already won a Championship. Let's step back a bit before we decide he's unfit to coach the Steelers. Yes the lossing streak was horrendous (unfathonable actually) but a lot of that is on the Players as well.

He's going to be the coach in Pgh for some time to come.

HeHateMe

Cowher wouldn't have this? Uh, Wasnt Plax late for meetings? Tomlin never coached Plax. Didnt our Qb get hurt on his bike under Cowher? How about Bam Morris? How about Kordell the BUM? Wasnt it Cowher who was reluctant to bench the BUM when it was clear that he didnt have the goods? How about Joey Porter getting SHOT in Colorado? Yeah, Cowher had control of his guys, yep sure did.

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeHateMe
    Cowher wouldn't have this? Uh, Wasnt Plax late for meetings? Tomlin never coached Plax. Didnt our Qb get hurt on his bike under Cowher? How about Bam Morris? How about Kordell the BUM? Wasnt it Cowher who was reluctant to bench the BUM when it was clear that he didnt have the goods? How about Joey Porter getting SHOT in Colorado? Yeah, Cowher had control of his guys, yep sure did.
    Didn't Jerome get accused of something for receiving a BJ from a chick for a signed football in return? Didn't Marvel or someone toke reefer at training camp or at a hotel or something?
    @_Hellgrammite

Cowher is gone so lets get past it. I wasn't sure about Tomlin when they hired him but he impressed me at his first press conference and continues to impress every time I hear him.

That said this is the first disappointing news I have heard about him. I liked when he came in for his first training camp and had his "board of responsibility". That was where he called out peoples mistakes no matter who you were ... star, vet, rookie, or coach. It disturbs me to think the players don't respect him. I hope this either isn't true or a gross exaggeration of what is going on.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>