Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: John "Amateur Hour" Harris: Tomlin contract not a done deal

Starter

Re: John "Amateur Hour" Harris: Tomlin contract not a done deal

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    Does anyone recall the Steeler Nation complaining about an assistant Steeler coach as we do about Arians ?
    No.... but if we had a message board best believe we would have one.

I really despised Arian early on but I started watching other teams play calling in similar situations and realized it wasn't really that different.

Look at Andy Reid... That guy wouldn't run if the D had 8 safeties playing Ed Reed deep but thy were very successful for years. Sure they never won a SB but most teams don't.

I really was shocked at how little anger the board had with Lebeaus D last year. What if the O puts up similar production and the D keeps blowing it late in games. Is it still BA's fault?[/quote]

It was more the defensive PLAYERS fault. Not the defensive schemes, with the back ups in the secondary sucking. So i dont fault LeBeau. With Arians, however the players make the most out of what he calls, or try to, even when his play calling isn't good. And we had less injury on offense this past season. If the scenario plays out as you suggest (with a healthy shored up D) then I will sure as hell be pist with LeBeau.

Arians isn't as bad as i originally thought, however I do think he could be better if he was less stubborn and would mix it up more often, we could really have something going.
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg
    http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LordVile
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    Does anyone recall the Steeler Nation complaining about an assistant Steeler coach as we do about Arians ?
    No.... but if we had a message board best believe we would have one.

I really despised Arian early on but I started watching other teams play calling in similar situations and realized it wasn't really that different.

Look at Andy Reid... That guy wouldn't run if the D had 8 safeties playing Ed Reed deep but thy were very successful for years. Sure they never won a SB but most teams don't.

I really was shocked at how little anger the board had with Lebeaus D last year. What if the O puts up similar production and the D keeps blowing it late in games. Is it still BA's fault?[/quote:dd8hjazu]

It was more the defensive PLAYERS fault. Not the defensive schemes, with the back ups in the secondary sucking. So i dont fault LeBeau. With Arians, however the players make the most out of what he calls, or try to, even when his play calling isn't good. And we had less injury on offense this past season. If the scenario plays out as you suggest (with a healthy shored up D) then I will sure as hell be pist with LeBeau.

Arians isn't as bad as i originally thought, however I do think he could be better if he was less stubborn and would mix it up more often, we could really have something going.
    [/quote:dd8hjazu]

Whole other lengthy thread on weather the defensive failures are players or scheme. If the scheme is so depenedent on one player (Troy) that it can't be executed at a high level without him that is a scheme problem not a player problem. If you can't get young players ready early to replace veteran players because the scheme is too complex that is a scheme problem and it forces you to hang onto to players with mediocre skill like Ty Carter because they know the scheme so well.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend

Lebeau arguably coached the best defense of all time just a year ago. He's more than earned a pass based on reputation.

You can blame injuries. You can blame the complexity of the Defense. But most likely, you've got to blame the quality of backups which also explains why our ST was so poor.

Not to mention 2 injuries happened to 2 of the best all time Steelers players.

Take the 2 best defensive players away from any team and they will struggle.

If the 2 guys are arguably the best ever at their respective positions, the drop off will be even greater.

I can't even think of a team with 2 defensive players as good as Troy and Aaron. Maybe the Ravens or Raiders. It would be like NE losing Tom Brady and Randy Moss for the season. Or the Vikings losing Favre and AP.

HeHateMe

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    Lebeau arguably coached the best defense of all time just a year ago. He's more than earned a pass based on reputation.

You can blame injuries. You can blame the complexity of the Defense. But most likely, you've got to blame the quality of backups which also explains why our ST was so poor.

Not to mention 2 injuries happened to 2 of the best all time Steelers players.

Take the 2 best defensive players away from any team and they will struggle.

If the 2 guys are arguably the best ever at their respective positions, the drop off will be even greater.

I can't even think of a team with 2 defensive players as good as Troy and Aaron. Maybe the Ravens or Raiders. It would be like NE losing Tom Brady and Randy Moss for the season. Or the Vikings losing Favre and AP.
    How much of 08 had to do with the PLAYERS vs Lebeaus coaching? When two of those PLAYERS (Smith/Polamalu) went down, what happened to his coaching? Moss and Brady? AD and Favre? Polamalu is up there with those guys but Smith CERTAINLY IS NOT. You mentioned Hall of Famers, Smith is not a Hall of Famer. YES, he is good in our system but send him to the Ravens and he might not even be a starter. Polamalu, Favre, Brady, Moss and AD are starters on every NFL Team they go to except the Colts (Favre,Brady). No dissing Smith because he is GREAT for US but lets not get carried away. Just like Keisel, he is a starter for US but WHERE ELSE would he start at?
    Any coach can look good with great players, the test is when you dont have great players. I hate Bellicheat but for him to get the pats to 11-5 without Brady? Thats good coaching.
    If you are going to be critical of Arians you MUST be critical of Lebeau for last season. This double standard stuff is just that. He is paid to do a job. As Tomlin says "We will never use injuries as an excuse. Injuries are part of the game". EVERY coach knows that and has to coach accordingly. Lebeau overachieved in 08 but he underachieved in 09.

I realize Tyrone Carter SUCKS but it is the job of the DC to hide weaknesses and capitilize on strengths. There were times that the DBS didnt even get the calls (Chiefs/Raiders) in games. How is that chalked up to injuries? That is on the DC. No matter how much I like and respect Lebeau he is not infallible and he is not above criticism