Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: John "Amateur Hour" Harris: Tomlin contract not a done deal

Re: John "Amateur Hour" Harris: Tomlin contract not a done deal

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    Does anyone recall the Steeler Nation complaining about an assistant Steeler coach as we do about Arians ?
    No.... but if we had a message board best believe we would have one.

I really despised Arian early on but I started watching other teams play calling in similar situations and realized it wasn't really that different.

Look at Andy Reid... That guy wouldn't run if the D had 8 safeties playing Ed Reed deep but thy were very successful for years. Sure they never won a SB but most teams don't.

I really was shocked at how little anger the board had with Lebeaus D last year. What if the O puts up similar production and the D keeps blowing it late in games. Is it still BA's fault?

I think LeBeau got a free pass because our defense was missing Troy and Smitty and everyone knows you can't stop other teams with Gay, Mundy, Burnett and Tyrone Carter in the defensive backfield.

Legend

Does anyone recall the Steeler Nation complaining about an assistant Steeler coach as we do about Arians ?
    Arians is in the unfortunate position of being OC when message boards exploded in popularity and never ahve been or will be "experts" have had a forum to spew their "expertise."

The relaity is however Offensive Coord for the Steelers has always been a thankless position. Fans have long complained about Joe Walton, Kevin Gilbride, etc. Even guys like Mularkey got complaints about too much trick plays and Whizenhunt about the lack of innovation and not taking advanatage of Ben's abilities.

No matter who the OC is for the Steelers there will be a vocal group of fans who know better and will complain.

Arians has also had the double misfortune of having a "legend" as the defensive coord at the same time he is the OC. Therefore everything is the offnse's fault or issue because no one dares challenge or complain about the defense.

It just magnifies the scrutiny the OC gets because many aren't happy unless they are complaining about something to show they know more and they know better.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Arians is in the unfortunate position of being OC when message boards exploded in popularity and never ahve been or will be "experts" have had a forum to spew their "expertise."

The relaity is however Offensive Coord for the Steelers has always been a thankless position. Fans have long complained about Joe Walton, Kevin Gilbride, etc. Even guys like Mularkey got complaints about too much trick plays and Whizenhunt about the lack of innovation and not taking advanatage of Ben's abilities.

No matter who the OC is for the Steelers there will be a vocal group of fans who know better and will complain.

Arians has also had the double misfortune of having a "legend" as the defensive coord at the same time he is the OC. Therefore everything is the offnse's fault or issue because no one dares challenge or complain about the defense.

It just magnifies the scrutiny the OC gets because many aren't happy unless they are complaining about something to show they know more and they know better.
    You mean like some experts who claim we would be better suited for a 4-3 defense?

gee, if your just going to shoot from the hip with an opinion

Good response bro. I too considered the internet era compared to days or coaches of past. The only one I remember getting the abuse was Walton, Gilbride and Sherman. As I recall Walton stayed the longest and I think that was Noll pride not getting rid of him sooner. Cowher didn't wait too long to drop the axe if he wasn't happy with an assistant. I remember Mularkey getting some heat but none of these coaches maybe other than Walton was on the hot seat with the fans so badly. Probably Sherman would have been if Cowher continue to stick with him but that's just it, Cowher didn't fart around with none productive coaches or coaches that didn't pan out.

Long story short, Arians got to go.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

You mean like some experts who claim we would be better suited for a 4-3 defense?

Never said we would be better but always said we should at least have a conversation about it and our defensive coord should at least consider it. I've always just tried to point out that from a talent acquisition standpoint it does offer advanatages and I have offered an opinion that I think it allows young players to get on the field sooner because you aren't converting them. My opinion has always been focused on the talent acquisition.

The difference between me and other posters is that I know my opinion doesn't matter and I don't get angry and launch personal attacks on the emplyees of the Steelers or other posters if they don't agree with me. I just accept they aren't as smart as me and move on
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

gee, if your just going to shoot from the hip with an opinion

Good response bro. I too considered the internet era compared to days or coaches of past. The only one I remember getting the abuse was Walton, Gilbride and Sherman. As I recall Walton stayed the longest and I think that was Noll pride not getting rid of him sooner. Cowher didn't wait too long to drop the axe if he wasn't happy with an assistant. I remember Mularkey getting some heat but none of these coaches maybe other than Walton was on the hot seat with the fans so badly. Probably Sherman would have been if Cowher continue to stick with him but that's just it, Cowher didn't fart around with none productive coaches or coaches that didn't pan out.

Long story short, Arians got to go.
    I think Arians is in the middle of the Steeler O.C. continuum of the past few decades. He is actually a better fit than Gilbride, Walton, or Sherman, but falls behind Gailey, Whisenhunt, and Mularkey. Arians' flaws are just maginified because we get to talk about him in a public forum to hundreds of other fans at the same time, as opposed to complaining to just a handful of guys when we would watch games in the pre-internet message board days.

I hope they fire Tomlin and bring in a coach who will run the ball 40 times a game since that is what Rooney II appears to want. Let's undermine the coach and his philosphy (something Jerry Jones would do) by speaking about how unhappy you are with the running game. I doubt the old man would have made those public statements.

I say let's become a running team again that continually gets knocked out in the playoffs (see the 90's) even though the NFL is now a passing league and the Steelers have a franchise QB. Everyone knows that the defenses problems stopping teams were due to the Steelers not running the ball enough (sarcasm).

Hell, the passing game is already hurting as a result of the deal to trade away your best receiver for a bag of balls. Might as well take even more emphasis away from the pass and just run the ball over and over again.
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion
    I hope they fire Tomlin and bring in a coach who will run the ball 40 times a game since that is what Rooney II appears to want. Let's undermine the coach and his philosphy (something Jerry Jones would do) by speaking about how unhappy you are with the running game. I doubt the old man would have made those public statements.

I say let's become a running team again that continually gets knocked out in the playoffs (see the 90's) even though the NFL is now a passing league and the Steelers have a franchise QB. Everyone knows that the defenses problems stopping teams were due to the Steelers not running the ball enough (sarcasm).

Hell, the passing game is already hurting as a result of the deal to trade away your best receiver for a bag of balls. Might as well take even more emphasis away from the pass and just run the ball over and over again.
    What Art part Deaux said is that we need the running game to be more effective, not that we need to run more.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion

Here is what Rooney said in that infamous interview everyone references:

"I think Mike and I certainly agreed coming off the season that we need to run the ball more consistently to get to where we want to get to."

"So that's part of the thinking in the offseason: We need to figure out how to get better running the football."

"We have to get back to being able to run the football when we need to run the football, and being able to run more consistently than we have in the past season," he said.
    Nowhere did he demand that the teams needs to run the ball more often.

He only said that we need to be able to more consistently.

Prok

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    No.... but if we had a message board best believe we would have one.

I really despised Arian early on but I started watching other teams play calling in similar situations and realized it wasn't really that different.

Look at Andy Reid... That guy wouldn't run if the D had 8 safeties playing Ed Reed deep but thy were very successful for years. Sure they never won a SB but most teams don't.

I really was shocked at how little anger the board had with Lebeaus D last year. What if the O puts up similar production and the D keeps blowing it late in games. Is it still BA's fault?

I can agree with ya on LeBeau. I think he gets a free pass from alot of us. Seems like he is above criticism at times. I can't stand the way he coaches on 3rd and long alot of times. Seems like we send 3 or 4 men to rush the QB and play prevent zone behind it 99% of the time. But i've gotten bashed for bringing that up in the past.

With all that said, i still think BA is a horrible game-planner and situational play-caller as well.