Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thank Goodness we drafted Timmons instead of Revis

Legend

User Info Menu

Thank Goodness we drafted Timmons instead of Revis

we would now be forced to break the bank on Revis or face an ugly holdout like the Jets are presently having to deal with. The Oakland Raiders gave Nnamdi Asomugha a $45.3 million, three-year contract, this most likely is the neighborhood that Darrelle Revis will want to be in.

Darrelle Revis contract dispute with Jets has many layers, nuances

Arguably the NFL's best defensive player, Revis wants a deal to replace the landmark contract he signed three years ago. Solution to the Jets' pickle? Keep a promise.

Darrelle Revis believes the Jets promised a new deal and has done enough to get it.
    In Houston, Houston Texans receiver Andre Johnson apparently wants a new contract because he doesn't like the long-term veteran deal he signed in 2007, with two years left on his rookie contract. He doesn't deserve one.

New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis falls into a gray area. On one hand, he received a landmark contract as the 14th overall pick in 2007. Three years in, he has the ability after 2010 to void the last two years of the deal. Then, the Jets can buy back years five and six at guaranteed salaries of $5 million in 2011 and a whopping $15 million in 2012.

So, basically, Revis has no basis to be complaining.

On the other hand, when it comes to the player's abilities, Jets coach Rex Ryan has thrown more bouquets than Larry King. Ryan publicly has said that Revis is the NFL's best defensive player; privately, Ryan will concede that Revis is the best player Ryan ever has coached -- and he has coached the likes of Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Chris McAlister, Deion Sanders and Terrell Suggs.

Rex Ryan's lavish praise could be ample grounds to justify dumping more cash on Revis Island.

To make a delicate situation even dicier, Revis believes the team has promised to rip up his deal and replace it with a contract that pays him commensurately with his skills. So even though Revis doesn't have the leverage typically needed to get the kind of package that pushes the market to a new level because he has three years left on his contract, the Jets apparently have done enough to justify Revis expecting to get at least as much as Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, who averages north of $15 million per season.

The fact that Revis bolted voluntary workouts after participating in them for all of the offseason suggests that he previously was willing to be patient, but then his patience has expired, presumably because of a lack of progress. Moving forward, the question becomes whether he would hold out, either from an upcoming mandatory minicamp or training camp.

His agents, Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod, haven't been bashful about taking a stand. Last year, Atlanta Falcons receiver Roddy White -- who also is represented by Schwartz and Feinsod -- boycotted training camp until he got paid.

As a rookie, Revis held out nearly three weeks before getting his unconventional contract that goes from six years to four back to six, with a huge back-end payout.

But Revis might not have that option in 2010. Three years ago, I got my hands on a copy of his much-thicker-than-usual contract. (Since then, it has done a nice job of keeping the door to my office propped open.) The deal contains language that arguably allows the Jets to void the guaranteed nature of the money paid in 2011 and 2012, after the team exercises the buy-back, if Revis fails to show up for any mandatory practice or team function. That's not a huge deal given the quality of his play to date, but Revis would be taking a risk by giving up the guarantees.

So maybe he'll show up for mandatory minicamp and training camp. Maybe he won't. The future would be much easier to predict if the Jets would simply work out a new contract with the player about whom the team doesn't hesitate to gush.

Some league insiders suspect that the reluctance to pay Revis or other home-grown players traces directly to the top of the organization. Thus, at a time when owner Woody Johnson wants fans to make the long-term commitment that comes from buying high-priced personal seat licenses, his case for loyalty from the paying customers could significantly be aided by a show of loyalty to the players who have helped make the team more competitive than it's been in years.

And Johnson probably should start with Revis, the player who deserves it the most, especially if it's been promised to him.

[url="http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-06-03/darrelle-revis-contract-dispute-has-many-layers-nuances"]http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article ... rs-nuances[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Thank Goodness we drafted Timmons instead of Revis

We did not have the choice between Revis or Timmons. The J-e-t-s Jets leaped frogged us and snagged Revis.

Chucktown

Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

My early 2024 draft:

1.) OC - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C - Oregon
    2.) DL -Ruke Orhorhoro, DL, Clemson
    3.) WR - Nathaniel Dell, WR - Houston
    4a.) OT - Matt Goncalves, ROT - Pitt
    4b.) S -Tykee Smith - S - Georgia
    6A.) CB - Shon Stephensl - D - Ferris State
    6B..) DT - Jamree Kromah DT James Madison

UDFA: P, WR, QB, TE

We don't apologize for winning!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler
    We did not have the choice between Revis or Timmons. The J-e-t-s Jets leaped frogged us and snagged Revis.

Chucktown

i know, had Revis been available to us we would have undoubtedly drafted him instead of Timmons.

Thank God for the NY Jets leapfrogging us, huh?

the Jets ship is sinking, they are facing a similar contract problem with Nick Mangold...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    we would now be forced to break the bank on Revis or face an ugly holdout like the Jets are presently having to deal with. The Oakland Raiders gave Nnamdi Asomugha a $45.3 million, three-year contract, this most likely is the neighborhood that Darrelle Revis will want to be in.
    I wish that Timmons would have produced enough to even be in the position to think about holding out.

Revis may have some outrageous contract demands, but he is one of the best at his position, if not the best now. I wish I could even consider saying the same about Timmons.

Legend

User Info Menu

Phill,y you make it sound like Timmons stinks... He is a very good player and will have a great year.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Administrator

User Info Menu

I think this holdout will be ugly and I can see both sides ... Revis' and the Jets.

However, I would choose Revis over Timmons any day and twice on Sundays.. I really don't see how anybody wouldn't...

Timmons is a good player ... heck, he might turn into a great player..

Revis is already a great player. He is at a whole different level than Timmons at this stage of their careers regardless of their positions. A fair comparison would be Revis vs Patrick Willis. Not Revis vs. Timmons.

Revis is on pace to be that 'Champ Bailey' "lockdown" corner for the next several years... The same "lockdown" corner that "experts" say can no longer exist. Revis can take the Randy Moss', Reggie Waynes, Larry Fitzgeralds of the world and completely shut them down one-on-one. That is soooo rare in today's NFL (given the rules) it's incredible. It gives the Jets so much defensive flexibility including single covering the NFL's best receivers and then double teaming their opponents 2nd best receiver and/or tight end. While other teams have to double cover the number #1, and single cover the #2's.

Granted, the hold out / money issue could be ugly.. no doubt about it. But comparing player for player, talent for talent, it's NOT even close at this point in their careers. Revis is way ahead of Timmons. That's not a knock on Timmons either given the position switch. It's simply saying that a great player, is better than a good player. Who knows ... later in their career, Timmons could make this a legitimate argument. But at this point, it's not.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1
    I think this holdout will be ugly and I can see both sides ... Revis' and the Jets.

However, I would choose Revis over Timmons any day and twice on Sundays.. I really don't see how anybody wouldn't...

Revis is already a great player. He is at a whole different level than Timmons at this stage of their careers regardless of their positions. A fair comparison would be Revis vs Patrick Willis. Not Revis vs. Timmons.

Revis is on pace to be that 'Champ Bailey' "lockdown" corner for the next several years... The same "lockdown" corner that "experts" say can no longer exist. Revis can take the Randy Moss', Reggie Waynes, Larry Fitzgeralds of the world and completely shut them down one-on-one. That is soooo rare in today's NFL (given the rules) it's incredible. It gives the Jets so much defensive flexibility including single covering the NFL's best receivers and then double teaming their opponents 2nd best receiver and/or tight end. While other teams have to double cover the number #1, and single cover the #2's.

Granted, the hold out / money issue could be ugly.. no doubt about it. But comparing player for player, talent for talent, it's NOT even close at this point in their careers. Revis is way ahead of Timmons. That's not a knock on Timmons either given the position switch. It's simply saying that a great player, is better than a good player. Who knows ... later in their career, Timmons could make this a legitimate argument. But at this point, it's not.
    Well said

If we agree that the QB is the most important position on offense what would be the most critical position on defense? DE?, Inside Linebacker? For reasons mentioned above a CB like Deion Sanders gave his teams incredible flexibility.

Legend

User Info Menu

you are absolutely correct, Darrelle Revis is probably the best shut-down CB in the NFL right now...

but would the Steelers be willing to pay Revis in the neighborhood of $15 million/year?
    is any non-QB worth that kind of money?

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Starter

User Info Menu

you are absolutely correct, Darrelle Revis is probably the best shut-down CB in the NFL right now...

but would the Steelers be willing to pay Revis in the neighborhood of $15 million/year?
    I agree...based on past history I think the Steelers would have let him walk or if they saw something earlier, try to lock him in. At the same time the players are not honoring these countracts and who am I to question their decision.

What happens if the game on defense is moving to this where the CB in Oakland has set the baseline that others are measured against? Having said that I also think as of today there are only a handful of CB's that have earned this designation.

It seems that there are good arguements both ways on this one.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

Definitely not worth $15M in our defense. LeBeau does not play his scheme in a way that requires putting CBs on an island. The key to our defense is LBs and NT not CB. Not all defenses are the same.

$15M for any non-QB is a cap killer. Not one except a top 5 QB is worth that.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"