Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thank Goodness we drafted Timmons instead of Revis

Prok

Re: Thank Goodness we drafted Timmons instead of Revis

I think Revis is the best CB in the game as well.

Question: If we had drafted Revis, do you think LeBeau would be putting him in the #1 WR's face every play like Ryan does? Or would we see him giving 10 yard cushions and playing zone as Ike does for us?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't have a problem with guys like Revis and C. Johnson holding out. These guys are embarking on the prime of their careers, the height of their earning power. If they don't get their money now, they may not ever see an opportunity like this again.

I think Revis deserves to be the highest paid corner. He is that good, as well as Chris Johnson. The NFL is such a "what have you done for me today" business. You are one significant injury away from being on the scrap heap (see Leon Washington). Their careers are too short and they risk their lives playing such a violent game we all love.

I know you can't pay everybody, but many of them deserve to be paid what they command. The NFL rakes in obscene amounts of money on the labor of these players. No one is paying to see Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder.

As far as the Revis Timmons debate, Revis all day..... I shudder to think what our defense would have been like with Revis opposite Ike Taylor. With the NFL gone pass happy, a shutdown corner is way more valuable than a linebacker.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler
    We did not have the choice between Revis or Timmons. The J-e-t-s Jets leaped frogged us and snagged Revis.

Chucktown

i know, had Revis been available to us we would have undoubtedly drafted him instead of Timmons.

Thank God for the NY Jets leapfrogging us, huh?

the Jets ship is sinking, they are facing a similar contract problem with Nick Mangold...
    Ed Bouchette claims that we would have drafted Timmons even if Revis were available:

Brent: This is a while ago but do you remember if there was talk of trading up to get Revis in the 07 draft? I remember hearing we were looking at him and he went one spot ahead of us. We sure could use him now.

Ed Bouchette: Yes, that is one who got away. But I have news for you, MIke Tomlin and Kevin Colbert were going to draft Lawrence Timmons even if Revis had not been drafted by then.

Read more: [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10012/1027673-66.stm#ixzz0q8Jer1nY"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10012/10 ... z0q8Jer1nY[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Phill,y you make it sound like Timmons stinks... He is a very good player and will have a great year.
    If Timmons held out now, what leverage does he have? He is still more potential than performance, IMO.

Revis is an absolute stud. I'd prefer an absolute stud over somebody whose performance has yet to meet his potential.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Prok
    I think Revis is the best CB in the game as well.

Question: If we had drafted Revis, do you think LeBeau would be putting him in the #1 WR's face every play like Ryan does? Or would we see him giving 10 yard cushions and playing zone as Ike does for us?
    Excellent question. I for one don't think Revis would be the star he is today if he were drafted by the Steelers. He would have been considered very good but not great.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'd take my chances with Revis, he's scary good at a hugely important position on the "D". I think it would be neat to see what DL would do with a bad @ss corner like Revis. He played with Night Train Lane, you know it's in his blood somewhere to use a corner that gets up in faces and beats up on the receiver for the first five yards.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim
    I'd take my chances with Revis, he's scary good at a hugely important position on the "D". I think it would be neat to see what DL would do with a bad @ss corner like Revis. He played with Night Train Lane, you know it's in his blood somewhere to use a corner that gets up in faces and beats up on the receiver for the first five yards.

I'm not arguing who is the better player, Revis obviously is. But would we ever give him the $16 million/year he is asking for? I highly doubt it, which means we would have to let Revis leave via free agency while Timmons will be easy to re-sign and keep for the long-term.

Updated: June 8, 2010

Sources: Jets, Revis still far apart

By Rich Cimini
    ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Darrelle Revis returned to the New York Jets' practice field Tuesday morning, but he still doesn't have a new contract -- and the two sides remain far apart in negotiations, according to league sources.

Revis is on record as saying he wants to be the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL, seeking to eclipse Nnamdi Asomugha's current deal with the Oakland Raiders. Asomugha is making $16.5 million in the second year of a three-year, $45.3 million contract. Revis is believed asking for at least $16 million per year.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5263622"]http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/ ... id=5263622[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim

I'm not arguing who is the better player, Revis obviously is. But would we ever give him the $16 million/year he is asking for? I highly doubt it, which means we would have to let Revis leave via free agency while Timmons will be easy to re-sign and keep for the long-term.

Updated: June 8, 2010

Sources: Jets, Revis still far apart

By Rich Cimini
    ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Darrelle Revis returned to the New York Jets' practice field Tuesday morning, but he still doesn't have a new contract -- and the two sides remain far apart in negotiations, according to league sources.

Revis is on record as saying he wants to be the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL, seeking to eclipse Nnamdi Asomugha's current deal with the Oakland Raiders. Asomugha is making $16.5 million in the second year of a three-year, $45.3 million contract. Revis is believed asking for at least $16 million per year.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5263622"]http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/ ... id=5263622[/url]

Oh no! I'm sorry, I didn't word that well. My opinion is if you have Revis and Timmons, I would have taken my chances with Revis even "knowing then what you know now" because of how good he's been. I can't reconcile giving any non-franchise quarterback $16M a year.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

If Revis is worth $16M+/yr, what is a healthy Troy P worth?

How bout a recommitted Ben?

Legend

User Info Menu

doesn't Rex run some of the same zone blitz scheme?

i see no issues revis would have had here

lebeau has tweeked his system for a talent like troy, i'm sure he would have dug up some schemes exploiting revis' talents