Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thank Goodness we drafted Timmons instead of Revis

Re: Thank Goodness we drafted Timmons instead of Revis

let's say the Steelers had drafted Revis and were now in this situation, do you think we would pay Revis this kind of money that he's asking for?

Updated: June 16, 2010

Jets' Ryan, Revis clear the air

By Rich Cimini
    ESPNNewYork.com

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- All is right between Rex Ryan and Darrelle Revis, according to the New York Jets' coach and his star cornerback.

As expected, Ryan met Tuesday night with Revis to discuss his highly publicized mini-protest Monday at minicamp. Ryan told ESPNNewYork.com on Wednesday morning that he's satisfied with Revis' explanation on why he sat out a few plays at the end of the morning practice.

Ryan, in a phone interview, called it "a great talk. It's funny because, when it's a football thing, we definitely see eye to eye. He knows what I expect of him and vice versa. We definitely see eye to eye."

Later, addressing the media after a minicamp practice at the new Meadowlands stadium, Ryan said he told Revis that he's counting on him to be a team leader.

"The great thing is, he never has to apologize to me. Just go out, be yourself and that will be good enough for me."

Revis created a firestorm by telling reporters that he asked out of practice as a way to make a statement about being unhappy with stalled contract negotiations. He also said he was light-headed, insisting that, too, was a factor.

Ryan was somewhat evasive when asked if Revis mentioned the contract situation as a reason for sitting out.

"He told me the same thing, that he was light-headed," Ryan said of the one-hour meeting. "That was not an exaggeration. The other part of it was, he definitely ... That's not who he is. He's a leader. Nobody works harder than Revis, with the exception of Mark Sanchez. That's who he is. That's what we talked about.

"The great thing is, he never has to apologize to me. Just go out, be yourself and that will be good enough for me."

Revis echoed Ryan's sentiment, calling it a "great conversation. We wanted to get on the same page. We got a little off-page and I skipped a couple of chapters in the book."

Curiously, Revis said they didn't talk directly about Monday's incident, but he added, "He wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything out of character."

Ryan touched on the controversy after practice, saying, "For him, that's out of character and we spoke about those things."

Revis said he's committed to the Jets, but he stopped short of saying he will be at training camp. On Tuesday, he said he wanted to meet with Ryan because "this is the beginning of stuff turning bad. ... We'll try to see eye to eye and do it the right way."
    Revis, perhaps unwittingly, put his coach in a difficult spot Monday. Ryan found out from reporters about the protest. Some within the organization were upset that it went down that way.

Revis suggested that he told secondary coach Dennis Thurman, but Thurman told ESPNNewYork.com Tuesday that Revis never mentioned anything about the sit-out being contract-related.

"I actually said, 'Is this legitimate?'" Thurman said. "He goes, 'Yeah.' Any statement he might have been trying to make, he wasn't making it as far as I was concerned. If he had another agenda, you'll have to ask him. To me, there was nothing behind it."

The two sides are trying to renegotiate Revis' contract, which has three years remaining, but they're far apart. Revis wants to be the highest-paid cornerback in the league, seeking at least $16 million a year. The Jets are believed to be offering about $10 million per year, but with no guaranteed money, sources said. Revis called that an "insult."

The fans seem to be on Revis' side -- at least based on the reaction from the announced crowd of 12,000 at the new $1.6 billion stadium. Whenever he appeared on the giant video screen, the fans cheered.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/ ... id=5292003

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

If the offer of $10 million per year with no guaranteed money is true, then that is an insult. A team could offer someone $900 trillion dollars per year with no guaranteed money and cut him tomorrow and owe him nothing. It is all about the size of the signing bonus these days. Guaranteed money is the only protection that a player has in case they suffer a catastrophic injury.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Phill,y you make it sound like Timmons stinks... He is a very good player and will have a great year.
    If Timmons held out now, what leverage does he have? He is still more potential than performance, IMO.

Revis is an absolute stud. I'd prefer an absolute stud over somebody whose performance has yet to meet his potential.

I have to agree about potential vs performance. Potential doesn't make the tackles or help the team. IMHO, Timmons never lived up to his number one selection. He has had enough bench time to develope into his position and for the game and at best, he's an average player.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    Phill,y you make it sound like Timmons stinks... He is a very good player and will have a great year.
    If Timmons held out now, what leverage does he have? He is still more potential than performance, IMO.

Revis is an absolute stud. I'd prefer an absolute stud over somebody whose performance has yet to meet his potential.

I have to agree about potential vs performance. Potential doesn't make the tackles or help the team. IMHO, Timmons never lived up to his number one selection. He has had enough bench time to develope into his position and for the game and at best, he's an average player.
    Timmons is far from an average player. He is a very good player and IMO this season he stars.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig

Timmons is far from an average player. He is a very good player and IMO this season he stars.
    Average inside linebackers are not able to get 7 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, and 4 passes defensed in 13 starts last season.

Most 3-4 teams would be jumping for joy if they got those kinds of sack/FF/PD numbers from their outside linebackers, and this guy is doing it from the inside, where he has a lot of other responsibilities beyond just pinning his ears back and rushing the passer.

I hope you guys are right.