Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My top 5 "young guns" and other thoughts

Legend

Re: My top 5 "young guns" and other thoughts

Here's my young gun surprises:

1. Tyler Grisham - makes the roster and pushes for PT

2. Isaac Redman - tears it up in the preseason and forces the team to make room for him, Dwyer who?

3. Willie Gay - Everyone is down on him after last season, but I think he turns into our next Deshea Townsend in the nickle. Kid's got some skills. Don't write him off just yet.

4. Stefan Logan - Finally gets some time at RB and goes off in the preseason.

5. Doug Worthington - The next Brett Keisel.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledSteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    1) Pouncey-starter from day 1.
    2) Sanders...I believe he might be slower than Wallace but possibly a bit sharper. Holmes who?
    3) Dwyer-Solid contribution by mid season. Proves worthy of the tag steal.
    4) Worthington...I know he is good enough for the PS but think he has a real shot at making this team. By season 3 he is a starter if he can avoid the early numbers game.
    5) Hood...proves too much of a talent to sit...gets serious PT this season.
    I'm glad you mentioned Worthington. He's a very intriuging prospect. I believe the thing that makes DE's great is their technique. If he can learn how to hand fight and shed blocks against those beastly OT's he will be a steal.
    In our scheme, the DE's typically face off against guards (the beastly OT's are usually trying to stop...errr, hold...Harrison and Woodley). And 3-4 DE's aren't necessarily trying to shed blocks. Mostly, in our base defense, they are trying to occupy blockers so that the linebackers are able to make plays. That changes in the nickel and dime of course...

2) Sanders...I believe he might be slower than Wallace but possibly a bit sharper. Holmes who?
    4) Worthington...I know he is good enough for the PS but think he has a real shot at making this team. By season 3 he is a starter if he can avoid the early numbers game.
    I'm glad you mentioned Worthington. He's a very intriuging prospect. I believe the thing that makes DE's great is their technique. If he can learn how to hand fight and shed blocks against those beastly OT's he will be a steal.
    Agreed. What Worthington brings is superb run stopping ability. He is also tough at the POA able to hold up two OLmen. He fell because his ceiling is not all that high. What you see is what you get. He is not fast...he will not provide alot of pressure on a QB. But, what he does is play the prototypical 3-4 DE position at a high level. He will stop runs to his side and hold up OLmen so our OLBs can do their job. What more can you ask for from a 7 round pick?

Agreed. What Worthington brings is superb run stopping ability. He is also tough at the POA able to hold up two OLmen. He fell because his ceiling is not all that high. What you see is what you get. He is not fast...he will not provide alot of pressure on a QB. But, what he does is play the prototypical 3-4 DE position at a high level. He will stop runs to his side and hold up OLmen so our OLBs can do their job. What more can you ask for from a 7 round pick?

it may very well come down to Worthington or Sonny Harris for a spot on the 53-man roster, i just think Worthington would be well served by a year on the PS learning how to play LeBeau's complicated 3-4 scheme instead of rushing him in there.