Thread: Big Ben's Five Most Memorable Moments

Legend

User Info Menu

Big Ben's Five Most Memorable Moments

Big Ben's Five Most Memorable Moments

Nowadays, if you read an article about Ben Roethlisberger, it's usually about his incident in Georgia.

The article will usually be negative.

However, this is not the Big Ben that Steelers fans have come to know and love.

Regardless of his off-field issues, he's still a two time Super Bowl champion and one of the best quarterbacks in the league.

He's a guy that can shake off 300-pound linemen and turn a sack into a completion. He can put the team on his shoulders and deliver.

Throughout Ben's career, we have seen examples of these things. To me, there are five special moments that stand out the most.

I want to bring them to light.

So, for a few minutes, let's pretend that dreadful night in Georgia never happened. Lets take a trip down memory lane and enjoy Big Ben's top five clutch moments.

No. 5 Superbowl XL: The Block

It was hard finding a picture of the block, so I went with the next best thing.

This is one of Ben's forgotten plays. Even though he wasn't directly responsible for the result, he paved the way for it.

The play was a fake reverse WR pass from Antwaan Randle El to Hines Ward. While the play was developing, a lineman broke through pass protection. That's when Big Ben delivered a block that gave Randle El enough time to hit Hines Ward in the endzone for a touchdown.

The play may not have been much, but because of his block, the Steelers were able to seal the deal on Super Bowl XL against the Seahawks with a 21-10 win.

No. 4 Week 15 2008: Breaking The Plane

It was week 15 of the 2008 season. The Steelers were playing their hated rivals in Baltimore.

From the beginning, the game had been a defensive battle. The Steelers got the ball back with some time left on the clock, down 9-6.

As expected, Big Ben led the offense down the field with a couple of big plays. The Steelers were facing 3rd and goal.

Ben took the shotgun snap. He didn't see what he liked so he rolled to the left. He motioned Santonio Holmes over as he rolled to the right. He fired a strike right to Holmes for an apparent TD.

However, the referee said the football never broke the plane. If you look closely at the replay, you will see the ball crossing the goaline and Holmes with both feet down.

Coach Tomlin decided to challenge the play and it was reversed. The Steelers won 13-9 and were AFC North Champions.

Once again, Big Ben put the team on his shoulders when they were down, called a masterful drive, and threw the game-winning TD score.

Remember, this game was against the Ravens, against the number two defense in the league, in their own stadium.

However, I thought of a drive even better than this one.

No. 3 Week 15 2009: The Drive

The picture you're looking at describes the ending of the greatest drive ever by Big Ben.
    This drive kept the Steelers playoff hopes alive and snapped their five-game losing streak.

This was a back-and-forth game. Neither defense could get stops. Then, with 3:21 left in the game, Tomlin elected to go for an onside kick.

It worked, but Ike Taylor touched the ball too early and the Packers had the ball on the Steelers 39 yard line.

They proceeded to score a touchdown with 2:06 left. Opponents should never leave Big Ben with that much time because he can make them pay.

And that's exactly what he proceeded to do.

The drive had its scary moments. The first came on 4th-and-15.

Big Ben completed a pass to Holmes that went to midfield. Then, on 3rd-and-15, but Big Ben pulled through again hitting tight end Heath Miller for a 27 yard gain.

Then the ball was intercepted and I thought it was over, but the Packers were flagged for illegal contact. Ben then hit Miller again at the 23 yard line. The Steelers took their last time out.

Then with 0:03 left in the game, season on the line, Super Bowl crown on the line, Big Ben hits Mike Wallace in the endzone for a 23 yard score that tied the game.
    The Steelers kick the extra point and win 37-36.

Big Ben finished the day with 503 yards passing, 3 TD and no interceptions.

If I had to use an example to describe how clutch Ben is, I'd use this drive with no hesitation.

No. 2 AFC Divisional Round 2005: The Tackle

This was a bittersweet and scary moment for me.

My heart was beating so fast it took me at least ten minutes to get it under control.
    I'm sure everyone remembers this play. With this play, the Colts hopes for the Super Bowl were dashed.

For those who don't know or remember, I'll explain.

It all started on Indianapolis' goal line.

The Steelers were getting ready to put the game away for good. Ben handed the ball off to Jerome Bettis. He ran toward the line. Then, out of nowhere, someone popped the ball out of his hands. It was recovered by a Colts linebacker. He ran back the other way. Big Ben was the last person with a chance to stop him. He cut back inside and made a shoe-string tackle that saved the touchdown.

If it wasn't for Ben, the Steelers would never had made it to Super Bowl XL. His tackle kept their hopes alive until the Colts missed the field goal that would have sent the game into overtime.

Thank you, Big Ben.

No. 1 Superbowl XLIII: The Catch

Arguably the greatest catch in Super Bowl history.

I have no doubt that this is number one.

This was the game winner of Super Bowl XLIII. Big Ben took the Steelers 88 yards downfield and capped it off with this throw through three defenders.

With this throw and catch, the Steelers became the first team in NFL history to win six Super Bowls.

Big Ben captured his second Super Bowl title as well.

[url="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/397416-top-five-big-ben-clutch-moments#page/1"]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3974 ... nts#page/1[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Big Ben's Five Most Memorable Moments

I also remember the numerous times he's gotten up from injury to lead the team (like the Cowboys game his rookie year). How about his dive for the "controversial" TD in Super Bowl XL?

He's a great one and I'm glad he's ours!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Big Ben's Five Most Memorable Moments

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    No. 2 AFC Divisional Round 2005: The Tackle

This was a bittersweet and scary moment for me.

My heart was beating so fast it took me at least ten minutes to get it under control.
    I'm sure everyone remembers this play. With this play, the Colts hopes for the Super Bowl were dashed.

For those who don't know or remember, I'll explain.

It all started on Indianapolis' goal line.

The Steelers were getting ready to put the game away for good. Ben handed the ball off to Jerome Bettis. He ran toward the line. Then, out of nowhere, someone popped the ball out of his hands. It was recovered by a Colts linebacker. He ran back the other way. Big Ben was the last person with a chance to stop him. He cut back inside and made a shoe-string tackle that saved the touchdown.

[url="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/397416-top-five-big-ben-clutch-moments#page/1"]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3974 ... nts#page/1[/url]
    Bleacher Report "correspondents" need to do their homework.

Nick Harper a linebacker???

Btw, I just googled Harper to make sure I had his name right (I knew I did but I was doing my homework) and I came across this:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Harper_%28American_football%29"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Harpe ... ootball%29[/url]

Nicholas Necosi Harper (born September 10, 1974 in Milledgeville)

Wonder if the accuser is any relation?