Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training camp advice

Training camp advice

Every year I take a couple of buddies back to Pittsburgh to visit and grab a Steelers preseason game in the process. I try and do the Pirates/Steelers double dip, but that isn't always possible. This year, I want to try and extend the trip to include at least a day at training camp in Latrobe before headiong to the preseason game, something I have never done before.
    So I thought I would ask my all-knowing Steelers bretheren what I need to know about training camp. What time I need to be there to get in, when I should go, what I should bring, where to stay, etc. Just anything you have that I need to know. Thanks in advance (unless you are a smart ass, then in advance)

Prok

Re: Training camp advice

I try to go every year and one piece of advice i could give is GET THERE EARLY. That parking lot (and field) fills up quickly and it becomes a long walk.

When my son was younger i'd stand by the fences waiting for autographs and found it can get REALLY hot if you wear a Steelers home jersey. So i stick to white Steelers gear. lol

About a block or so up the street from there is a place called "Sharkeys" i believe. Players have been known to pop in there after meetings and such. And it is a friendly place to BS with fellow Steelers fans.

I'd also recommend the Steelers and NFL experience stuff. Especially for kids.

All in all it's just a great place for a die-hard Steelers fan to be in late July or Early August.

Prok

Oh, another fun little thing we've done in recent years:

If you get stuck having to walk a long ways to the practice fields.... What we have done is check out the licence plates on as many cars as we could on our way to the fields. You'd be surprised how far Steelers fans will travel just to see training camp. My sis-in-law actually started taking pics to show her friends how far people travel. lol

Legend

1. Get to know who everyone is before you go. Make sure you recognize all the coaches and assistants and know some info about the,. Know the guys that others don't and call them out when they walk by or around you. You may get in a surprise conversation with Keith Butler and along comes Lamar Woodley who sees you talking to one of his coaches and he chats you up too.

Ask Keith something like, what was Tomlin like when you guys were in Memphis together?

Know the guys on the PS. Know the UDFAs. Everyone's there to see Ben and Hines. Find someone else and track him down.

2. Talk to other fans and mingle with the crowd. You may run into somebody that's a family/friend of a player.

3. Go where the crowds aren't. You never know who you may run into without a crowd. And guys tend to be nicer when they aren't being mobbed.

4. Ask guys if they're going to Sharky's or Dino's after practice.

5. Bring a kid. Players will respond to kids more than old guys.

6. Wear someone unusual's jersey. You won't see many Ryan Clark jersey's, but I bet he'd be a guy that would talk to you if he saw you wearing his jersey.

7. Eat a banana split - Latrobe is home of the banana split.

8. Latrobe Brewery opened back up now bottles Iron City so I imagine a bottle of Iron City would be super fresh in Latrobe. This used to be the home of Rolling Rock before they were sold.

9. Did you know Latrobe had the first professional football team? The Latrobe Athletic Association. You are going to be at the mecca of professional football. Take it all in and enjoy.

Prok

Excellent job Flippy.

Where is that Dino's you speak of ? I wouldn't mind checking it out. Would it be in that strip area where KMart is by chance ??

I plan to go this year for the first time! Thanks for the info guys. I found this:
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... elers.html

Not that good. Still looking for more info, keep it coming guys!

Prok

There's also a nearby hotel called the Wingate. I believe it's next to Sharky's.
    The MB i used to frequent met there every year but most had to book their rooms way in advance.
    So if you plan on staying a night or 2 i suggest getting your reservations in ASAP.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Prok
    Excellent job Flippy.

Where is that Dino's you speak of ? I wouldn't mind checking it out. Would it be in that strip area where KMart is by chance ??
    It's on the other side of Rt 30 down toward KMart. You can't miss it. It's owned by the brother of Sharky's. They had a falling out after opening Sharky's so the brother opened his own bar across the street. It's smaller and less crowded typically. And you're more likely to run into players there since it's a smaller place, but very similar and just as good a hangout. I always liked it a little better and have had more player run ins there. Be sure to chat up the waitresses, they'll have tons of great stories. And they'll give you the low down on players.

http://www.dinoslatrobe.com

I haven't been there for many years, but I remember the wings used to be pretty good. The food used to be slightly better than Sharkys. But it is bar food, so nothing spectacular.

The other place I'd go to in Latrobe is EatNPark for lunch. Nothing cheers me up like an EatNPark smiley cookie.

And if the drive in theatre is still open, I'd recommend it too. Not many of those left in the country. It's a little further down past Dinos.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Prok
    There's also a nearby hotel called the Wingate. I believe it's next to Sharky's.
    The MB i used to frequent met there every year but most had to book their rooms way in advance.
    So if you plan on staying a night or 2 i suggest getting your reservations in ASAP.
    A long time ago when I visited camp, I remember a lot of the guys would also go to bars in Greensburg which is only about 10 minutes away. Look up the place where Bettis got in trouble several years ago. It gets them a little away from camp but isn't very far.

I also heard from a buddy that he found a Primanti Brothers about 15 minutes away from St Vincents in Greensburg. So if any of you guys wanna try Primanti's, you can. Probably not as good when your sober and probably can't compare to the one in the Strip District at 3 am on a Sat or Sun morning.

Man, the more I think about this stuff, I wanna make a trip to camp myself. I remember going as a kid in the middle of a week and there was no one there. I went back once as an adult 5-10 years ago and I remember it was so crowded with 10K people or so.