Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Tomlin: No reason to rush Hartwig

  1. #1
    Legend fordfixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    State of confusion
    Posts
    7,681

    Tomlin: No reason to rush Hartwig

    Tomlin: No reason to rush Hartwig
    By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, June 3, 2010
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 84204.html

    Wide receiver Hines Ward is not the only starter the Steelers are bringing along slowly because of an injury.

    Center Justin Hartwig has been limited during offseason practices as the ninth-year veteran is still recovering from the shoulder surgery he had following the 2009 season.

    Coach Mike Tomlin said there is no reason to rush Hartwig given his experience and familiarity with the offense.

    "It provides an opportunity for some young guys at the position to get quality (repetitions)," Tomlin said.

    Doug Legursky has been working primarily with the first-team offense at center, while rookie Maurkice Pouncey has also been used there as well as at right guard.

    Pouncey, a first-round draft pick, is considered the eventual successor to Hartwig at center. He could challenge Trai Essex for the starting job at right guard this season.

    Hartwig isn't expected to be limited by his shoulder when the Steelers start preseason practice July 30.

    Wilson enjoys challenge

    Running back may be the position where the Steelers are least experienced. There is little depth behind Rashard Mendenhall, who is entering his second season as a starter, and backup Mewelde Moore.

    But that doesn't mean running backs coach Kirby Wilson isn't up to the challenge of working with young players.

    "I really enjoy their attitude and work ethic," Wilson said. "They want to learn, so it's fun right now."

    Rookie Jonathan Dwyer, a sixth-round pick, and second-year man Isaac Redman are among those who will vie for a spot in a rotation during training camp.

    Frank Summers, meanwhile, has been working primarily at fullback after seeing limited action at the position a year ago.

    "We're trying to develop him as a top-level fullback," Wilson said of the 5-10, 230-pound Summers.

    As for all of the players under his tutelage, Wilson said: "There are days I've got to control my emotions because it's about teaching, it's about coaching, it's about correcting. It's about knowing when to step on the gas and when to step off the gas."

    Rookie watch

    Coaches don't usually single out rookies - unless it is to correct their mistake but cornerback Crezdon Butler has made an impression on secondary coach Ray Horton.

    "(No.) 40 is rising," Horton said of Butler, a 6-1, 190-pounder drafted in the fifth round. "I know I'm talking about a rookie, but it looks like he's going to make our team better."

    Molon labe

    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell



    American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

  2. #2
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,212

    Re: Tomlin: No reason to rush Hartwig

    LOVE hearing what Horton is saying about Crezdon Butler, we need all the good young CBs we can get with Ike Taylor and Willie Gay entering the final year of their contracts...

  3. #3
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hey Roger...
    Posts
    3,138

    Re: Tomlin: No reason to rush Hartwig

    No rush on Hartwig because he is going to get cut anyway
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,269

    Re: Tomlin: No reason to rush Hartwig

    Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel
    No rush on Hartwig because he is going to get cut anyway
    Come on Legursky, Pouncey & Urbik (although at 6'5", he's awfully tall to play center isn't he?)
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...asian07/RJ.jpg[/quote]

    go to http://www.thebreastcancersite.com to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

    Huge thanks to AA for all the help with the signature.

  5. #5
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,475

    Re: Tomlin: No reason to rush Hartwig

    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim
    Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel
    No rush on Hartwig because he is going to get cut anyway
    Come on Legursky, Pouncey & Urbik (although at 6'5", he's awfully tall to play center isn't he?)
    Pouncey is too inexperienced and they won't take the risk of him starting at Center, Urbik is a Guard not a Center and if Legursky was good enough to displace Hartwig he would have already done it.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  6. #6
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,096

    Re: Tomlin: No reason to rush Hartwig

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim
    Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel
    No rush on Hartwig because he is going to get cut anyway
    Come on Legursky, Pouncey & Urbik (although at 6'5", he's awfully tall to play center isn't he?)
    Pouncey is too inexperienced and they won't take the risk of him starting at Center, Urbik is a Guard not a Center and if Legursky was good enough to displace Hartwig he would have already done it.
    Hartwig has experience of Legursky as well. Hartwig won't finish the season as the starting center. He may be displaced by the time Ben is done serving the suspension. The Steelers need an upgrade in the middle of their offensive line and while a rookie or second year man may not be an immediate upgrade at some point Legursky or Pouncey will be worth the risk of not having experience at center.

    I believe it will happen this year.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  7. #7
    Backup
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    cranberry township pa
    Posts
    269

    Re: Tomlin: No reason to rush Hartwig

    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim
    Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel
    No rush on Hartwig because he is going to get cut anyway
    Come on Legursky, Pouncey & Urbik (although at 6'5", he's awfully tall to play center isn't he?)
    Pouncey is too inexperienced and they won't take the risk of him starting at Center, Urbik is a Guard not a Center and if Legursky was good enough to displace Hartwig he would have already done it.
    Hartwig has experience of Legursky as well. Hartwig won't finish the season as the starting center. He may be displaced by the time Ben is done serving the suspension. The Steelers need an upgrade in the middle of their offensive line and while a rookie or second year man may not be an immediate upgrade at some point Legursky or Pouncey will be worth the risk of not having experience at center.

    I believe it will happen this year.

    Pappy
    I'm inclined to agree with you Pap. Legursky has improved every season and the coaches seem very pleased with his progression as evidenced with his handling 1st team duties in Hartwig's absence in this spring's OTAs. Don't let anybody think that the coaches are'nt giving the big Legursky a hard look right now. Of course its still football in shorts, but I'm thinking the O line is beginning to look much better on paper. I'm also thinking that the new coach, Kugler, is going to be a dramatic improvement over Dirty Larry.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg






    "Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

  8. #8
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,475

    Re: Tomlin: No reason to rush Hartwig

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelHoss
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim
    Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel
    No rush on Hartwig because he is going to get cut anyway
    Come on Legursky, Pouncey & Urbik (although at 6'5", he's awfully tall to play center isn't he?)
    Pouncey is too inexperienced and they won't take the risk of him starting at Center, Urbik is a Guard not a Center and if Legursky was good enough to displace Hartwig he would have already done it.
    Hartwig has experience of Legursky as well. Hartwig won't finish the season as the starting center. He may be displaced by the time Ben is done serving the suspension. The Steelers need an upgrade in the middle of their offensive line and while a rookie or second year man may not be an immediate upgrade at some point Legursky or Pouncey will be worth the risk of not having experience at center.

    I believe it will happen this year.

    Pappy
    I'm inclined to agree with you Pap. Legursky has improved every season and the coaches seem very pleased with his progression as evidenced with his handling 1st team duties in Hartwig's absence in this spring's OTAs. Don't let anybody think that the coaches are'nt giving the big Legursky a hard look right now. Of course its still football in shorts, but I'm thinking the O line is beginning to look much better on paper. I'm also thinking that the new coach, Kugler, is going to be a dramatic improvement over Dirty Larry.
    I think Darnell Stapleton took some 1st team reps a couple of years ago and I seem to recall that also due to injury or resting Hartings Chukky Okobi took 1st team reps during OTAs. How'd that work out for them?

    IMO Legursky = Okobi.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  9. #9
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hotlanta
    Posts
    2,152

    Re: Tomlin: No reason to rush Hartwig

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    LOVE hearing what Horton is saying about Crezdon Butler, we need all the good young CBs we can get with Ike Taylor and Willie Gay entering the final year of their contracts...
    I wish we'd seen the last of Gay. He was downright terrible last year.

  10. #10
    Backup
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    cranberry township pa
    Posts
    269

    Re: Tomlin: No reason to rush Hartwig

    If you recall OV Okobi injured his neck and was'nt quite the same after that. Whiz thought enough of him to give him a shot, but like I said it seems he left something on the field with that injury. Stapleton's knee injury apparently has put him out of the game. The team certainly lost interest in him in a hurry after that. IMHO Legursky ain't going anywhere. He will be the backup to Pouncey or whoever establishes himself as the starter. Besides...he may have to play full back again. LOL!

    Call me the ultimate optimist, but I believe Gay will turn things around this year.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg






    "Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •