Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Speaks

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben Speaks

PITTSBURGH -- Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had a smile on his face as he met the media today for the first time since being reinstated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to practice with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The two-time Super Bowl winner still faces a 4-6 game suspension at the start of the regular season. He was disciplined by Goodell April 21 under the league's personal conduct policy. After ducking the media for two days, he said he was happy to be back with his "brothers" and intent on a making a lifestyle correction.

"I know you guys have been waiting for a long time to talk to me, as I have to you," Roethlisberger told a swarm of reporters who crowded around him on the practice field.

"It's been a long time away. It's been hard. But I spent a lot of time and effort and working hard both on and off the field while I've been gone. It's not the same. I love football to death. But I think it's meant more to be out here with my teammates, my brothers, my family, if you will."

Goodell imposed his discipline in the aftermath of a sexual assault complaint filed March 5 against Roethlisberger by a 20-year-old college student in Milledgeville, Ga.

Georgia authorities decided not to file criminal charges in the case. But Roethlisberger was disciplined under the NFL's personal conduct policy and required to under behavioral analysis by medical professionals and follow what the league describes only as a "recommended plan" as a requirement of eventual reinstatement.

Goodell has yet to rule on whether the suspension will be trimmed to four games. He's left open the possibility it could be lengthened if Roethlisberger does not adhere to the plan.

"I put a lot of thought into my life, the decisions that I've made in the past … sitting home thinking about things," said Roethlisberger, slimmed down from past off-seasons.

"I've been working closely with the commissioners on ways to make changes, corrections. So I'm looking forward to this second chance and second opportunity, not just in football because I think everyone knows what you're going to get in football, but in life. I think that's what's more important."

The sexual assault complaint was filed on a night when Roethlisberger and a group of friends were bar-hopping in Milledgeville a few days removed from Roethlisberger's 28th birthday. The complaint filed by the 20-year-old woman alleged she was sexually assaulted by Roethlisberger in a small bathroom at a Milledgeville night club. Georgia authorities said there was insufficient evidence, including DNA evidence, to prosecute a rape charge in the case.

After making an initial statement today, Roethlisberger took just a couple of questions from the media.

He was initially asked about the support of his teammates.

"It's been great to read and hear from those guys, not just text messages and calls that they've send to me, tto read the things in the media that they said. … It's great to be out here with my brothers because they really are family to me," he said.

"I've spent a lot of time evaluating and looking at my life both on and off the field, and I think this is a time for me to kind of close the chapter on the last couple of years of my life and move on to a new one, kind of a new start. So I'm really excited about it.''

What specifically is he looking to change?

"A lot of them are personal things, which is just something I need to do. But it's been neat being able to really reevaluate my life and spend time with my family and kind of reevaluate and refigure what's important in life,'' he said.

"And that's me … evaluating what I need to do and be smarter when it comes to certain things. … It's a new chapter, and I'm looking forward to it, and it starts with football. So I'm glad to be back out there."

A member of the Steelers media relations staff ended the session after two questions.
    "I'll be talking to you guys a lot more," said Roethlisberger.

He'll also be meeting for a second time with Goodell. In a press release last week, the e NFL said the commissioner continues to "monitor Roethlisberger's progress" and will meet withy him at the "appropriate time." Roethlisberger also met with Goodell prior to the suspension.

-- Gary Mihoces

[url="http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/06/steelers-qb-ben-roethlisberger-to-speak-to-the-media/1"]http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... he-media/1[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Ben Speaks

I think it was dumb for the Steeler media relation staff member to cut it off after 2 questions. They should have had a once-and-for-all, ask all the Milledgeville questions you want press conference, making it clear that once this one-time-only press conference had ended, that all of the questions would be football-related from that point forward. The way it was handled, the media will not be satisfied, and will continue to camp out at the facility all next week as well.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

It was probably known going in that when the questions started coming a staff member would come in and stop it, so it was not to look like it was Ben.

I really dont care about Georgia anymore and I am more then ready for some football....It's getting to the point I want to dress my wife in pads and start taking shots on her in the back yard.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Forget the Rooney's, coaches, Goodell, media, fans - having to face my mom after the GA incident would have damn near killed me (if she didn't first...).

Prok

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    I think it was dumb for the Steeler media relation staff member to cut it off after 2 questions. They should have had a once-and-for-all, ask all the Milledgeville questions you want press conference, making it clear that once this one-time-only press conference had ended, that all of the questions would be football-related from that point forward. The way it was handled, the media will not be satisfied, and will continue to camp out at the facility all next week as well.
    Agreed but that's not how the Rooney's will handle this. They'll continue to let him get questions answered little by little. It almost seems as if the team wants this dragged out for the publicity longevity. lol

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

A couple of things to take out of this . . .

"And that's me … evaluating what I need to do and be smarter when it comes to certain things. … It's a new chapter, and I'm looking forward to it, and it starts with football. So I'm glad to be back out there."
    Makes me happy. If he is sincere about this, that's all I need to hear to be solely back in the corner of No. 7.

"I've been working closely with the commissioners on ways to make changes, corrections. So I'm looking forward to this second chance and second opportunity, not just in football because I think everyone knows what you're going to get in football, but in life. I think that's what's more important."
    Am I living in a totally different reality than Ben? I mean seriouisly, he needs to work with the commisioner on finding ways to change his behavior that led to what went down in Milledgeville? Regardless of guilt or innocence, he had to know what he was doing was a bad idea. He shouldn't need anyone to tell him that.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing Ben back behind center.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    Forget the Rooney's, coaches, Goodell, media, fans - having to face my mom after the GA incident would have damn near killed me (if she didn't first...).

x2

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher

x2

X3
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yea once I went to an ex-girlfriends house when my current girlfriend was out of town for the summer. I was in college and back home for the summer myself. My Mom wasn't happy about it, but I said we were just friends.
    Well of course I fooled around with her as we were all just 20 and horny. I fell asleep and woke up and scurried home at around 6am. Tried to sneak in the door where... my Mom was standing. She said she was disappointed told me to get ready for Church and walked away. Ouch. She actually liked my ex better too. Alas, it was either Mom's way or hit the highway.
    So I moved out a few months later to go back to school early
    Whew

Backup

User Info Menu

Ben will politely decline to answer any questions regarding the specifics of the Georgia incident, because I believe that he settled with his accuser and as part of the settlement neither one is allowed to discuss the specifics (or that a settlement agreement was reached). Even if I am wrong about the settlement, he still wouldn't answer specific questions about the Georgia incident because there is absolutely nothing to be gained and it would give the media an excuse to dredge up all the sordid details again. I'm looking forward to October 17, because that will be the beginning of the end of all this crap and we can get back to enjoying Big Ben at work.