Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise Cuts

Surprise Cuts

Every year there are one or two surprise cuts. I'm talking about a guy(s) most of us would say is a near "lock" that ends up not making the final 53. Tomlin has shown a propensity to keep his draft choices over mediocre veterans and i think that pattern will continue. Here are a few names i believe could be on the bubble. Again i'm not saying they are absolutely going to get cut but i believe they are in danger:

McHugh - Spaeth is a better pass catcher than McHugh, and if Miller or Spaeth got hurt i believe we could/would limit our offensive sets to the single TE formations and get by just fine. So what is his real value here? I view him as an adequate blocker but he is certainly not plowing open holes "Dan Kreider-style". We could go with just the two TE's (Miller, Spaeth) and either a running type fullback (Summers, Dwyer) or a true blocking back (D. Taylor) and get by just fine.

Summers - With the drafting of Dwyer, i'm failing to see the necessity of Summers. He's not that good of a road grader fullback and he's not quick or strong enough to play halfback in a pinch. Plus we have some nice depth at RB now which could very easily make him expendable/replaceable.

Gay - If he's so bad that we're bringing in McFadden and anointing him the number two CB even before camp begins, what is Gay's future with this team? A perennial back up? What does he honestly bring to the table that our young(er) guys couldn't do within a year? Very little. I think Lewis, Burnett, and possibly even Butler could be at Gay's level by mid season, given any morsel of real game experience. He's not very physical, he's not a ballhawk, and he's not good at special teams. That's a recipe for the fast track out of Pittsburgh.

Eason - There are really only two tasks we require of our DE's. Stuff the run. And occassionally put a little pressure on the QB. Eason is average at both of these skillsets and i don't think his upside is very high. I don't see him as starter material so why keep him around when Harris could give you about the same thing? I realize Eason brings a little bit of experience, and he is improving, but overall he brings nothing spectacular. He could be gone in favor of Harris or even Worthington if he shows good technique.

Warren - For the love of Pete, will someone else on this team please learn to long snap already? How hard could it be? Seriously? It's a skill. That's it. Just practice a few extra hours a day. Done. If Pouncey can pick it up quick enough we can save a roster spot for the entire season. That would be huge.

Logan - Don't get me wrong, I appreciate his return abilities, especially after watching Davenport two years ago, but the problem with Logan is he can't get on the field offensively. He's not beating out any of our RB's or WR's, especially with the young talent we just drafted. All he does is return kicks and that is just not acceptable anymore. I would be very surprised if Sanders/Brown were not just as productive as Logan in the return game or at least close enough. Logan is in serious jeopardy.

Hartwig - Before the uproar begins, let me say i do believe Hartwig is a near lock. However, i also believe the whole "Pouncey must begin at RG talk is a bunch of crap". Let someone else make the line calls. We just hired a new OL coach, who has no attachment to Hartwig. I fully expect Pouncey to compete for the starting center position in training camp and has a very good chance of winning it. The ONLY reason Hartwig is on our roster is because our younger players have not developed yet. Hartwig is gone next year for sure. To cast him off a year early is not out of the question. He is a terrible center. Just because he started last year does not make him starting center quality (see William Gay).

NCSteeler

Re: Surprise Cuts

I think Gay will stick around at nickel. The may be switching one of the other corners to safety. I also think with a renewed emphasis on the run McHugh will stick, he is a much better blocker then Spaeth.

I also think if the season go poorly Hartwig will finish the year on the bench.

Legend

Off the top of my head I can't think of any teams that use a starting O lineman as the long snapper.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Off the top of my head I can't think of any teams that use a starting O lineman as the long snapper.
    I agree, Warren isn't going anywhere. Many believe it's a wasted roster spot until it costs you a game.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks
    I agree, Warren isn't going anywhere. Many believe it's a wasted roster spot until it costs you a game.
    Has it already cost us a game? Maybe that one where Deebo volunteered and snapped it over Sep's head (maybe for a safety)?

Maybe that was just a bad dream ...

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks
    Has it already cost us a game? Maybe that one where Deebo volunteered and snapped it over Sep's head (maybe for a safety)?

Maybe that was just a bad dream ...

I wish that was a bad dream........
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...asian07/RJ.jpg[/quote]

go to http://www.thebreastcancersite.com to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Huge thanks to AA for all the help with the signature.

Pro Bowler

Suprise Cuts:

1.) Hartwig - I actually think Legursky is going to take the #1 Center job this season, Pouncey still plays a year at Right Guard and we have three big strong dudes on the interior line this year. Maybe next year Pouncey and Legursky switch places?

2.) Sonny Harris - Not exactly some crazy massive surprise here. Eason stays because he knows the system and he's reasonably dependable. I'm thinking that Doug Worthington plays good ball in the pre-season and gets the nod over Harris whom we all thought so highly last year.

3.) Arnez Battle - This one would shock me too. But I think the two drafted wide receivers are going to show enough upside during pre-season and enough grit on special teams to move out the guy that we signed to a three year deal this off-season. It is highly un-likely that the Steelers would move Battle out in favor of two un-tested rookies but I could see how this can actually play out.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...asian07/RJ.jpg[/quote]

go to http://www.thebreastcancersite.com to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Huge thanks to AA for all the help with the signature.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Yup. The Giants have used players from other positions (linebacker Zak DeOssie and d-lineman Jay Alford) but every other team has a designated long snapper.

Think of how many times we kick field goals, PAT's, and punt during the year. Last year, those numbers were 31, 41, and 72, respectively. That is 144 opportunities in which a bad snap that sails over the holder or punter's head can be disasterous.

It is worth the roster spot to have a guy who gets it there on target every time, and gets it there with enough velocity that oncoming rushers don't have time to get into our backfield to block the kick.

Face it, folks...long snappers are valuable. If the James Harrison experiment didn't leave a last impression on you regarding the worth of a solid long snapper, I don't know what to tell you.

For the love of Pete, is long snapping that freaking difficult that it can't b e learned by a player trying to make a roster? Are you telling me that a backup lineman, third string TE, backup LB can't learn how to do this extremely difficult skill?

I find it hard to believe that it's such an art form or skill that no one except a player that does it every day can learn the skill or art.

The James Harrison faux pas was a lack of preparation by the coaching staff, not the fact that long snapping is so difficult to perform.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    For the love of Pete, is long snapping that freaking difficult that it can't b e learned by a player trying to make a roster? Are you telling me that a backup lineman, third string TE, backup LB can't learn how to do this extremely difficult skill?

I find it hard to believe that it's such an art form or skill that no one except a player that does it every day can learn the skill or art.

The James Harrison faux pas was a lack of preparation by the coaching staff, not the fact that long snapping is so difficult to perform.

Pappy
    It's the speed and location that's tough and if you lose half a second or a second, you risk having blocks.

And you have to be consistent and that's not easy either.