Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Does Ben Need to be a Great Person?

Re: Why Does Ben Need to be a Great Person?

To have a six-game suspension cut to a four-game suspension

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

He doesn't have to be a great person, but he does have to obey the statutes put in place to maintain a semblance of order in our society. He's done that, but he's walking a thin line. It's just an added perk to being a Steeler fan if he behaves and acts civilized. Stay off the police blotter, adhere to the rules the NFL has in place and play football, that's all he's required to do.

Now the Rooneys may say differently, since they've invested $100 million dollars in Ben. So, if they tell him not to ride the bike w/o a helmet, to stop being a rogue to women and to stay off the police blotter in the off season; I think he owes that much to the Rooneys.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Hall of Famer

Because.

I want it all.

I at least want to have my cake and eat it too.

But I agree w/ the some points already made. He doesn't have to be a great person - just not a total tool.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

To each his own...if Donte Stallworth played for the Steelers, I would have a problem with it. I have a problem with supporting people who hurt other people. If Ben was convicted of rape, or if he somehow admitted to sexual assault, I would have a big problem with it.

I don't have a problem with behavior that doesn't hurt anyone else. For example, I don't really care of Santonio Holmes smokes weed. I smoked weed when I was younger and I certainly won't be a hypocrite about it. Now if you get high and start to drive then we have another problem. Holmes was accused of physical assault of a woman. I have a much bigger problem with that than weed.

I sure hope Rooney II used the allegation by the woman as reason to make that awful trade with Holmes. I have a hard time believing he would weaken the team and trade Holmes to a playoff competitor because Holmes was going to miss games for smoking weed.
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.

He doesn't have to be a great person. Maybe not even an average one. But I have a hard time rooting for someone individually if they seem like a flat-out jerk.

Doesn't mean I don't like the team anymore. Doesn't mean I'm not glad to see Ben do well inasmuch as it helps the team succeed, either. But unless something really changes ... well, then just how excited I can get about him individually is going to have a finite limit. And I'm pretty sure that if I was watching the game at a bar and started yelling "YEAH! Big Ben -- my MAN!" when he completed a pass, I guarantee you it would devolve into "yeah, but--" within 1.5 seconds.

Yes, it still is more than a bit awkward, and obviously for a lot of fans, the line for that is not the exact same thing as the line where you're guilty of CRIMINAL conduct or not.
    "An empty victory is a victory nonetheless."

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion
    To each his own...if Donte Stallworth played for the Steelers, I would have a problem with it. I have a problem with supporting people who hurt other people. If Ben was convicted of rape, or if he somehow admitted to sexual assault, I would have a big problem with it.

I would have a hard time if Michael Vick played for the Steelers, what he did to me is impossible to forgive...

Ben needs to grow up and not believe girls who wear DTF stickers are sincere, but i have no problem with forgiving him for that.

HeHateMe

Sorry Rape is WORSE than killing dogs. What is the penalty for Rape in the Bible? It is DEATH. Of course cruelty to animals or anything is wrong, not condoning that at all. Of course Ben is innocent in the judicial system but.... everyone is prison is not guilty and everyone free is not innocent. We have ALL gotten away with crimes that we were never charged for but that doesn't mean we didn't do anything. But IF holding onto the "he wasn't charged" card makes you feel better then so be it. But If the Ben situation was the Carson Palmer situation I have a feeling that you all would not feel the same about the situations and to me that is sheer hypocrisy. Remember this cry? "RAY LEWIS IS A MURDERER!" That cry came from Steeler fans. Where were the Steelers fans who say "Why does Lewis have to be a great person? As long as he is good on the field?" And Please save the "Ben is a Steeler we back our own". Thats fine but do you back them to the point of lying for them, turning a blind eye and being dishonest? Perhaps.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by HeHateMe
    Sorry Rape is WORSE than killing dogs. What is the penalty for Rape in the Bible? It is DEATH. Of course cruelty to animals or anything is wrong, not condoning that at all. Of course Ben is innocent in the judicial system but.... everyone is prison is not guilty and everyone free is not innocent. We have ALL gotten away with crimes that we were never charged for but that doesn't mean we didn't do anything. But IF holding onto the "he wasn't charged" card makes you feel better then so be it. But If the Ben situation was the Carson Palmer situation I have a feeling that you all would not feel the same about the situations and to me that is sheer hypocrisy. Remember this cry? "RAY LEWIS IS A MURDERER!" That cry came from Steeler fans. Where were the Steelers fans who say "Why does Lewis have to be a great person? As long as he is good on the field?" And Please save the "Ben is a Steeler we back our own". Thats fine but do you back them to the point of lying for them, turning a blind eye and being dishonest? Perhaps.
    According to the Bible, what "you and I" consider to be the smallest sin is worthy of death. Secondly, the Bible prescribes death for a man who rapes a woman who is either married or pledged to be married. If he rapes an unmarried woman then he has to marry her if he's caught.

Now, that being said, you have a bit of a conundrum on your hands. The Steeler organization is backing Ben right now. So, if you are going to root for the Steelers, follow them and go through with the standard support you have for the Steelers, then you are supporting the organization that backs Ben, a man whom you consider to be a vile rapist. So, whether consciously or sub-consciously, if you support the Steelers, then you are supporting Ben. So, get off this stupid-@$$ high-horse you are on and come back down to Earth. If you are going to preach against Ben, then you also have to preach against the Steelers and boycott them since they back Ben. YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS HERE. Anything else is just spinning words and hypocrisy, something you seem to be very quick to others of and with seemingly lots of glee.

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    Isn't it enough for Ben to be a great QB?

Why does he have to be a great person too?

I'll wear my Big Ben jersey either way.

I don't need him to be a role model.

I'd like him to steer clear of trouble so he doesn't get suspended in the future, but that's about all I expect from him.

I still think it's bs he's been suspended. Not that I personally condone anything he's allegedly done wrong. But at the same time, I don't really care what he does as long as he performs on the field.

I just want his best effort everytime he steps on the field. And I believe I've gotten that and I'll continue to get that.

I have a friend of a friend with a kid that's had cancer and has known Ben and the Rooneys. And I've heard from very reliable resources that Ben goes out of his way to make the kid feel special. And the only guy the kid thinks is nicer than Ben is Casey Hampton.

And even though I think that's great, who cares really? As long as he gives everything to bringing home more hardware for us, isn't that enough?

I'm wearing my Big Ben jersey on game 1 and I'm wearing it for SuperBowl Sunday when we bring home #7.

Don't get me wrong, if he produces for you and me and the rest of Steeler Nation, I wish him well. Heck I wish everyone well. But I could care less how Ben acts when he's not on the field. Not my concern. I don't need to even know about it really.

The reason people care is very complex but I think the main one is fans like to elevate football to something more important than it is...a game. It's merely a game we enjoy watching. What Ben does off the field is not my concern unless it effects his game.

For those who have an issue cheering for a team with a "bad guy" on it. Well you probably need to stop watching football. Every team has a player or two...maybe not with Ben press but issues none the less. The Steelers do not reflect on me as a person. They do not effect my self esteem. When they fail...it doesn't mean I fail. When I cheer for them it doesn't mean I condone some of their off the field actions. I honestly don't get the fascination.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    Quote Originally Posted by HeHateMe
    According to the Bible, what "you and I" consider to be the smallest sin is worthy of death. Secondly, the Bible prescribes death for a man who rapes a woman who is either married or pledged to be married. If he rapes an unmarried woman then he has to marry her if he's caught.

Now, that being said, you have a bit of a conundrum on your hands. The Steeler organization is backing Ben right now. So, if you are going to root for the Steelers, follow them and go through with the standard support you have for the Steelers, then you are supporting the organization that backs Ben, a man whom you consider to be a vile rapist. So, whether consciously or sub-consciously, if you support the Steelers, then you are supporting Ben. So, get off this stupid-@$$ high-horse you are on and come back down to Earth. If you are going to preach against Ben, then you also have to preach against the Steelers and boycott them since they back Ben. YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS HERE. Anything else is just spinning words and hypocrisy, something you seem to be very quick to others of and with seemingly lots of glee.

Why even address the ignorance?