Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben is looking slimmed down

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Ben is looking slimmed down

Behavorial evaluation will do that to ya. It's exhausting ... uh, I mean ... somebody told me it's exhausting.

Legend

User Info Menu

A slimmer Roethlisberger back in Steelers practice

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (7) looks on during football practice on Tuesday, June 1, 2010 in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)

By ALAN ROBINSON
    AP Sports Writer

PITTSBURGH - A slimmed-down Ben Roethlisberger whistled practice passes to his receivers for the first time in five weeks, and a teammate didn't need to watch video tape to know what he'd just seen.

"He's been working hard at home," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "He wants to be great this year. So, hopefully, he will (be)."

Even if considerable repair work needs to be done, on the field and off it.

The two-time Super Bowl champion quarterback didn't talk to reporters after practicing Tuesday for the first time since drawing a six-game suspension April 21 for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy.

The penalty resulted from a Georgia college student's allegation that he sexually assaulted her in a nightclub, and though Roethlisberger does not face criminal charges in the case, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the quarterback's drinking and carousing failed to meet the league's expectations for player behavior.

Roethlisberger took part in voluntary practices April 19 and 20, but was barred from working out again until he underwent a league-ordered behavioral evaluation and was cleared by Goodell to resume team activities. The commissioner still hasn't decided if Roethlisberger's suspension will be reduced to four games.

The consensus among Roethlisberger's teammates: Good to have him back, now let's move on — even if they realize that can't possibly happen for months.

"We're all trying to get over this. I think we're all already over this, we want to get ready for the season," said lineman Willie Colon, the only Steelers teammate known to have been with Roethlisberger the night of the incident in Georgia back in early March. "We've got a lot of people we got to knock down. Our focus is being world champs again, and that's where we're all headed to."

Roethlisberger, wearing a white No. 7 jersey atop a yellow practice shirt, took all the snaps with the starters during the 90-minute practice, partly because Byron Leftwich had a previously scheduled commitment and missed the voluntary practice. Coach Mike Tomlin also departed early for the same reason and didn't answer questions.

The only noticeable difference in Roethlisberger since those earlier practices is the weight he's dropped, several players said.

"He's been on the treadmill a little bit," Colon said. "He's trying to get a beach body on."

Leftwich is expected to divide training camp snaps with Roethlisberger as the Steelers prepare one quarterback to start the season and a suspended quarterback to take over sometime in October. No NFL team has gone through such a scenario before starting a season, and wide receiver Antwaan Randle El cautioned it won't be easy.

"It's very delicate and I don't know how they're going to do it," Randle El said. "It's a tricky situation. But you've got to come up with a plan and work it."

Roethlisberger can take part in training camp and play in exhibition games, but will be barred from all team activities once his suspension begins at the start of the season.

He has spoken only once since being accused of assault in Milledgeville, Ga. — when he read a brief statement on April 12. A team spokesman offered no explanation for Roethlisberger's decision not to talk on Tuesday.

Still, Roethlisberger seemed to smile more than usual while practicing, and backup quarterback Dennis Dixon said it was evident this wasn't a routine day.

"He was excited, and that's what you wanted," Dixon said. "He loves what he does, and getting back on the field, it was great to see his familiar face."

Randle El is convinced Roethlisberger has undergone considerable soul-searching the last three months and is determined to become a better person.

"Any time you go through something, it makes you step back and take a look and evaluate, who you're hanging around with and who you're involved with, it makes you do a little bit of an evaluation of your life," Randle El said.

However, the accusation — plus a separate lawsuit accusing Roethlisberger of sexual assault in Nevada — has visibly angered and disappointed the Steelers' huge fan base, with many saying they'll never feel the same way about the franchise again until Roethlisberger is gone. His merchandise sales have plummeted, and some business owners say they can't give away his jerseys.

Regardless, his teammates are offering Roethlisberger any support he wants, Randle El said. They hope that the public eventually comes around, too.

"We've all been through different things, we've all made different mistakes," Randle El said. "When you make those mistakes, as a player, as a friend, as anybody, you've got to have forgiveness in your heart. To be able to forget and move on, that's the kind of thing you have to do and expect. Not just from players but from friends and family, and even everybody that was involved. Everybody makes mistakes, but you can't hold onto it for life."

[url="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37448280/ns/sports-nfl/"]http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37448280/ns/sports-nfl/[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Curtain_of_steel
    Just seen a clip off of ESPN.com. Ben is looking nice a slim, he was getting pudgey for a bit. Looking good out there.

First post here, came over from the other board.
    All that rapin' is bound to burn a lot of calories!
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

i love Randle-El's quote at the end of the article...

Regardless, his teammates are offering Roethlisberger any support he wants, Randle El said. They hope that the public eventually comes around, too.

"We've all been through different things, we've all made different mistakes," Randle El said. "When you make those mistakes, as a player, as a friend, as anybody, you've got to have forgiveness in your heart. To be able to forget and move on, that's the kind of thing you have to do and expect. Not just from players but from friends and family, and even everybody that was involved. Everybody makes mistakes, but you can't hold onto it for life."
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    i love Randle-El's quote at the end of the article...

I agree. I hope that Ben learned something from his mistakes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtain_of_steel
    Just seen a clip off of ESPN.com. Ben is looking nice a slim, he was getting pudgey for a bit. Looking good out there.

First post here, came over from the other board.
    All that rapin' is bound to burn a lot of calories!

I think Ruthless is trying to say "Welcome to the Planet"

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

lvsteelersfan

Another newbie coming in from that mess at Steelers Fever. I just think Ben has been acting like a drunken frat boy. I bet most of the people who post on these boards have been drunk and stupid in their 20s. I like to believe that there is no basis in fact that Ben is a sex offender. If he is, he should be strung up. However, I believe he is a victim of circumstances by being in the wrong place at the wrong time and women who are just after a quick buck. This last one was just too suspicious because it was her sorority sisters who pushed her into it and she didn't even know for sure it was Ben when the report first came out. I for one am willing to forgive and forget as long as he keeps his nose clean from this point forward. He has no room for error any more.

Backup

User Info Menu

I think he's quit drinking. Booze has an awful lot of calories.
    [url=http://whydoesgodhateamputees.com/]Why does God hate amputees?[/url]
    http://ia310802.us.archive.org/3/ite...aqimage005.gif

Legend

User Info Menu

When all you do (lately) is work out and take cold showers that's what happens

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lvsteelersfan
    Another newbie coming in from that mess at Steelers Fever. I just think Ben has been acting like a drunken frat boy. I bet most of the people who post on these boards have been drunk and stupid in their 20s. I like to believe that there is no basis in fact that Ben is a sex offender. If he is, he should be strung up. However, I believe he is a victim of circumstances by being in the wrong place at the wrong time and women who are just after a quick buck. This last one was just too suspicious because it was her sorority sisters who pushed her into it and she didn't even know for sure it was Ben when the report first came out. I for one am willing to forgive and forget as long as he keeps his nose clean from this point forward. He has no room for error any more.

With that being said, I have not been drunk and stupid in my 20's yet I still had a great time in college and now , and since I said that I am sure people will tell me to get off my high horse, ben says he will be a better person and make better decisions, the best decision you can make is dont make dumb ones. He does indeed look slimmer and if he has an attitude, or a chip on his shoulder then the rest of the league better watch out because I expect a pretty big year..