Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Steelers stories

Re: Steelers stories

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    the reason I will never turn my back on this franchise as long as the rooneys are steering the ship. . .

Back in 1994, I decided to stand out in line around three rivers stadium for playoff tickets, back when they still did that. The first day we all kind of stood in a group around the Clark Bar and Grill . . . and Kevin Green showed up with his pickup truck with the back filled with pizza boxes. he stuck around for a while, chatted with fans and fed pretty much all of us. Very, very cool.

After that first night, they moved all of us in a single-file line around three rivers stadium. It was cold, and we knew we weren't moving anywhere until tickets went on sale the next morning, so we all kind of hung with the group around us and made the best of the night.

Around 9 or 10 o'clock, we noticed there were people walking around th eline, from the back to the front, with coffee/hot chocolate. Despite the fact most people's beverage of choice was alcohol, they were still among the most popular people there. We also noticed that it was taking them a long time to get to the front of the line where we were, about 100 people in, and we soon found out why.

Dan Rooney was walking around with the coffee girls, shaking hands with the fans, and having a word of conversation with every single one of them. Drunk or sober, young or old, black or white. If you just wanted to say hi, well, he said hi back. If you wanted to have a longer conversation, you didn't get blown off. He stayed and chatted with every single person who wanted to.

I will never forget that down-to-earth and kind nature of Dan Rooney. And after seeing "The chief", the one man play about Art Rooney, in Pittsburgh a few years back, I see where he gets it from. I will be a Steelers and a Rooney fan for life.
    That's an awesome story and goes to show why we have the greatest organization in professional sports.
    http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7648/newwallacesig.gif

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by siss
    I delivered a happy healthy baby boy that was 7LBS and 7 ounces and 17 inches long. That night in the recovery room, me and my husband and our precious little baby boy watched the Steelers beat the Dolphins.

Now tell me this, is my son destined to be a steeler or what?
    7/7/17 = Lombardi 7 is won when Ben (7) throws a TD pass to Wallace (17). Your son gets my Nostradamus vote when this happens.

There are some way cool stories in this thread.

My wife hates sports and I prefer it that way. But if you want to get your significant other into sport, have them watch the last few minutes of a Pens playoff game. My wife will scream like a nut at the end of a hockey game and she hates sports. She's been telling me lately she wants to start watching football now too. I tell her it's violent and people get hurt and she's too innocent to appreciate it. I don't want to scar her. I've showed her Joe Theisman breaking his leg to ward her off.

One of my favorite experiences was meeting Gary Anderson. Really nice guy that took the time to give me and my friends some pointers on kicking a football. I remember the guy was all smiles and laughs joking around with us. My friends and I started playing soccer because of Gary. He told us how he accidentally became a football player and really just wanted to be a soccer player like his dad. To this day he's one of the nicest football players I've met.

Blew my mind as a kid that he was a white guy from Africa and had a weird accent.

Couldn't believe I was a kid and he was smaller than I was. I remember the time I met Eric Green, I told him I thought he should try kicking since one of his legs was the size of Gary Anderson.

Couldn't believe I was a kid and he was smaller than I was. I remember the time I met Eric Green, I told him I thought he should try kicking since one of his legs was the size of Gary Anderson.

Love me some Gary Anderson. One of my earliest memories of a successful Steelers team is when gary hit that 51 yarder to beat the Oilers, in overtime I believe.

Legend

Love me some Gary Anderson. One of my earliest memories of a successful Steelers team is when gary hit that 51 yarder to beat the Oilers, in overtime I believe.
    Was that the same game Noll was irked with Glanville?

I'm always surprised by the size of NFL players when I meet them. For example, I think Gary was bigger than ARE or Stefan Logan. I'd love to see Stefan Logan and ARE side by side. I've only talked to Logan from the first row of the stands before a game so it could be perspective, but he looks so tiny compared to what I remember ARE.

One of the other biggest surprises for me up close was James Farrior. I don't think he was 200 lbs when I saw him. He looked so skinny. I'd guess 185 tops. That blows me away considering the way the guy hits.

And related to football, I met the announcer JB Brown at the Pittsburgh airport TGI Fridays many years ago and before we saw who he was, my buddy goes is that Shaq? For some reason, I had it in my head he was a scrawny little announcer, but he towered over us and had some broad shoulders. I'd guess he was 6'6" or so, not quite Shaq, but a big dude nonetheless. He might be able to take Howie Long if he has to some day on the pregame.

Quote Originally Posted by flippy

Was that the same game Noll was irked with Glanville?
    I guess I just thought that Chas Noll never liked Jerry Glanville. it was an ongoing feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Shopping when a game is on?

[youtube:178c8b22]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/09-M-S7Og0o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/09-M-S7Og0o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube:178c8b22][/quote]

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Prok

Posting in another thread reminded me of a short Steeler story i can share.

Back in the early 2,000's, i believe, my mom had gotten so sick of watching the team choke in the AFCC's that she actually wrote the Rooney's quite a long letter explaining why and how they needed to get coach Cowher to coach to WIN instead of coaching not to lose.

She then went on to let them know which players she wanted the team to part ways with and whom to keep.

After reading the whole letter i was freaking rolling laughing. But she was dead serious and sent it out immediately.
    She's in her mid-seventies now and STILL a rabid Steelers fan. It's where i got my spunk from. lol
    A couple weeks later she got the obligatory team photo in the mail. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Prok

Back in the early 2,000's, i believe, my mom had gotten so sick of watching the team choke in the AFCC's that she actually wrote the Rooney's quite a long letter explaining why and how they needed to get coach Cowher to coach to WIN instead of coaching not to lose.

She then went on to let them know which players she wanted the team to part ways with and whom to keep.

After reading the whole letter i was freaking rolling laughing. But she was dead serious and sent it out immediately.
    She's in her mid-seventies now and STILL a rabid Steelers fan. It's where i got my spunk from. lol
    Prok, your mom sounds a lot cooler than mine. I live in Y'Town, Ohio, and we're equal distance away from Pittsburgh and Cleveland, so the fan base here is split. When my son was about 7, he wanted to be a Steelers fan AND a Browns fan.

One day he asked me to buy him a Browns jersey, and I said no way. My mom got mad and yelled at me and said I was being ignorant. I told her I work hard for my money and would rather burn it than spend it on a Browns jersey. She still thought I was ignorant.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7648/newwallacesig.gif

Prok

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108
    Quote Originally Posted by Prok

Prok, your mom sounds a lot cooler than mine. I live in Y'Town, Ohio, and we're equal distance away from Pittsburgh and Cleveland, so the fan base here is split. When my son was about 7, he wanted to be a Steelers fan AND a Browns fan.

One day he asked me to buy him a Browns jersey, and I said no way. My mom got mad and yelled at me and said I was being ignorant. I told her I work hard for my money and would rather burn it than spend it on a Browns jersey. She still thought I was ignorant.

I guess i got lucky. We moved to cleveland when i was 12 or 13. Anywho, i ended up marrying a clowns fan. But we got divorced when my son was only 2 or 3. We made a deal to let him decide which team he likes and luckily enough he followed me as a Steelers fan. Couldn't even tell ya how many games, training camps and Steelers related functions we've attended together. Even a trip to Primanti's together. It's been great.

Yeah my mom knew i was a Steelers die-hard very early on. Grew up in Greene county, southwestern PA before we moved to Cleveland. Every year for my birthday and christmas i'd ask for something Steelers related. Me and my mom watched almost all the Steelers games together.