Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top 10 Steelers prospects -- Timmons #2

Legend

Re: Top 10 Steelers prospects -- Timmons #2

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    I think this is going to be the breakout season for Woodley.

He's got the contract issue hanging out there.

And he's the best all around OLB in the game.

I'm looking for a DMVP type of performance from him.
    And if that happens, look for him to leave the Steelers in 2011 for a big payday elsewhere.
    Unlikely he leaves in 2011. Unless there is a radical restructure in the new CBA they should be able to tag him for at least one more year. That is two years for Gibson or Worilds to get ready.

Don't forget that they will be off loading Farrior's contract soon plus in two years they may be off loading Troy's contract if he continues to have injury issues, Aaron Smith's contract, Ike Taylor's contract. There should be $$$ on the defensive side of the ball for Woodley.

I think the contract we may come to regret is James Harrison's. Not for his lack of effort but decreasing performance.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

And if that happens, look for him to leave the Steelers in 2011 for a big payday elsewhere.
    Unlikely he leaves in 2011. Unless there is a radical restructure in the new CBA they should be able to tag him for at least one more year. That is two years for Gibson or Worilds to get ready.

Don't forget that they will be off loading Farrior's contract soon plus in two years they may be off loading Troy's contract if he continues to have injury issues, Aaron Smith's contract, Ike Taylor's contract. There should be $$$ on the defensive side of the ball for Woodley.

I think the contract we may come to regret is James Harrison's. Not for his lack of effort but decreasing performance.
    I attribute most of that to the massive number of times he is held and it's not called "because of the way he rushes the passer".

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8

I attribute most of that to the massive number of times he is held and it's not called "because of the way he rushes the passer".
    The end result is the same...no sacks (only two in final eight games last season). Several on this board brought up a couple of years ago that there may eventually be an issue with Harrison and his bull rushes. I'm not sure he has second or third moves to go to that are effective. Using a bull rush gives the OL all the opportunity in the world to hold because you don't force them to turn and reach like a speed rusher would. I really like him so I hope he bounces back this season but I am somewhat concerned.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8

The end result is the same...no sacks (only two in final eight games last season). Several on this board brought up a couple of years ago that there may eventually be an issue with Harrison and his bull rushes. I'm not sure he has second or third moves to go to that are effective. Using a bull rush gives the OL all the opportunity in the world to hold because you don't force them to turn and reach like a speed rusher would. I really like him so I hope he bounces back this season but I am somewhat concerned.
    OTA reports have Harrison staying after practice to work one-on-one with Jerry Olsavsky on his hand placement and the like.

I don't think it's a coincidence that when Harrison's numbers dropped, Woodley's picked up. Especially with Troy out. D coordinators have to gameplan for one or the other. It's a pick your poison thing, IMO. Focus on stopping Woodley and Harrison gets you. Focus on stopping Harrison and Woodley gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    OTA reports have Harrison staying after practice to work one-on-one with Jerry Olsavsky on his hand placement and the like.
    And that same report stated the main reason for working on different techniques was due to all the holds that are not called.

His rush technique is effective if the rules are properly enforced. Unfortunately they are not.

Lawrence Timmons was #2 on the list... and I think he can, like the author said, transformn this defense if he plays up to his ability. I remember watching Kendrell Bell step in here his rookie season and just transform games by being constantly around the ball, making big plays, forcing turnovers. He was so good that Bill Cowher, notorious rookie hater that he was, couldn't keep him on the bench.

Timmons was that kind of player at Florida State. I've been waiting for him to turn into the kind of force that he was... but he was indeed extremely raw coming out of college. He came out a year early, and was nothing but a 230 pound pin back your ears and kill the QB speed rushing defensive end when he got to FSU. They converted him to LB mid - stream. He had a lot to learn about playing the position when he was drafted... he was a solid contributor on defense last year, but solid contributors aren't what you're looking for with the 15th overall pick, and solid contributors don't win championships. He needs to turn into another game breaker for this defense to return to the greatness it had in '08.