Thread: Got me thinking ... is it in stone that a rookie HAS to ...

Legend

User Info Menu

Got me thinking ... is it in stone that a rookie HAS to ...

... be a special teams demon?

I'm not saying Redman is the man, but: if you have a rookie that all is he does is score every time he touches the ball, or make interceptions every time a pass is thrown his way, but he can't play special teams well - is it set in stone that the conventional wisdom prevails and he doesn't make the team?

Yes, you have to "waste" a roster spot by using someone else to play special teams instead of him. But at some point, if I were running the show, I'd say it might be worth it.

Not sure if I'm wrong on how set in stone it is or isn't, or if I'm missing something else ...

Help me out here please!

Thanks -

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Got me thinking ... is it in stone that a rookie HAS to ...

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan

I'm not saying Redman is the man, but: if you have a rookie that all is he does is score every time he touches the ball, or make interceptions every time a pass is thrown his way, but he can't play special teams well - is it set in stone that the conventional wisdom prevails and he doesn't make the team?

Yes, you have to "waste" a roster spot by using someone else to play special teams instead of him. But at some point, if I were running the show, I'd say it might be worth it.

Not sure if I'm wrong on how set in stone it is or isn't, or if I'm missing something else ...

Help me out here please!

Thanks -
    Being a special teams "demon" could actually be on te field more than your fourth RB on gameday and have more of an impact on a game than someone like Redman whose skills are redundant to Mendenhall's.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

yes, under Mike Tomlin "position flexibility" is a must -

now go out there and unleash hell...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

All comes down to how much you can contribute.

Most rookies are not starters, and few are first back-up on the depth chart. So if they want to make the team they better be able to contribute in other ways.

It's just the nature of the beast. We can't have a 3rd stringer sitting on the bench all day long not contributing, no matter how good they are (with few exceptions).

It's a risk management or trade study decision. You are betting that you will not need a 3rd string position specific player as much as you will need a player that can contribute on special teams.

So players that my end up deep on the depth charts (typically rookies) typically have a better chance to make the team if they can contribute in another way.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Did Parker play STs?

Redman replaces Parker in the stable, so that isn't a huge factor.

But if for instance Dwyer and Redman are close at the end of camp and Dwyer is a better ST guy then you go that way.
    But being good at ST in college is of no value when stepping up to the NFL. Not sure if Dwyer can EXCEL or not there. We'll see.

As you said Redman's skills mimic Mendi. If you think Mendenhall will make it unscathed through this season, you are delusional. I'm hoping he misses only 1-2 games. If he does you'll need someone that can step in and not have too much flux in the gameplan. Though they would use Moore more, but would need Redman..or Dwyer to take up a good bit of slack.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan

Help me out here please!

Thanks -
    Being a special teams "demon" could actually be on te field more than your fourth RB on gameday and have more of an impact on a game than someone like Redman whose skills are redundant to Mendenhall's.

This is the crux of my arguement for Stefan Logan making the team over say, Antonio Brown as a #6 receiver. Unless Brown is ready to set a franchise record for return yardage, I dont see how we cut Logan to keep him or any other 3rd stringer with lesser kick return (or ST coverage) capability.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    Did Parker play STs?

But if for instance Dwyer and Redman are close at the end of camp and Dwyer is a better ST guy then you go that way.
    But being good at ST in college is of no value when stepping up to the NFL. Not sure if Dwyer can EXCEL or not there. We'll see.

As you said Redman's skills mimic Mendi. If you think Mendenhall will make it unscathed through this season, you are delusional. I'm hoping he misses only 1-2 games. If he does you'll need someone that can step in and not have too much flux in the gameplan. Though they would use Moore more, but would need Redman..or Dwyer to take up a good bit of slack.
    You are forgetting the most critical factor the organization has to consider. Redman would likely clear waivers and be picked up on the practice squad still available to the team if there is an injury. Dwyer would not clear waivers because someone would pick him up because Dwyer has the better resume coming out of college than Redman.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Did Parker play STs?

You are forgetting the most critical factor the organization has to consider. Redman would likely clear waivers and be picked up on the practice squad still available to the team if there is an injury. Dwyer would not clear waivers because someone would pick him up because Dwyer has the better resume coming out of college than Redman.

i think Redman will play so well this pre-season that the Steelers will be forced to keep him or another team will pick him up.

my Nostradamus prediction...

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Did Parker play STs?

i think Redman will play so well this pre-season that the Steelers will be forced to keep him or another team will pick him up.

Hey, can you put that pic up in the Nostradamus thread? If you like, i will add that to your prediction of Redman having the most preseason rushing yards and TDs. Good chance to be the vote winner if it all comes true!!
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Did Parker play STs?

Hey, can you put that pic up in the Nostradamus thread? If you like, i will add that to your prediction of Redman having the most preseason rushing yards and TDs. Good chance to be the vote winner if it all comes true!!

done - and yes, please add to my prediction...

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha