Thread: Madden: If Steelers start 4-0 w/ Lefty, he'll remain starter

Legend

User Info Menu

Madden: If Steelers start 4-0 w/ Lefty, he'll remain starter

from Mark Madden's Blog:

SCOOPS!
    Friday 05-21-2010 2:19pm ET

Remember, you heard it here first:

*If the Steelers start the 2010 season 4-0 or 3-1 without the suspended Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwich will remain at quarterback. That's right, the recycled washout keeps starting, the $102m man rides the bench. This comes from an unimpeachable source deep inside Steelers HQ.

Have you ever heard anything so stupid? A good season without Roethlisberger would grease the skids for his exit, which - I'm convinced more and more - is what the Steelers ultimately want. When the Steelers slip, it's often on a banana peel of self-righteousness.

If Mike Tomlin goes along with what appears to be an organizational decision, it would highlight his inability to consider the big picture. Players take it one game at a time. Good coaches don't, Starting 4-0 matters a little. Playing well in January matters a lot. You've got to think about Point B when you're at Point A. Leftwich can't win a Super Bowl. Roethlisberger can, and has.

Oh, well...the Steelers will probably start 1-3, anyway.

[url="http://wxdx.com/pages/supergenius.html"]http://wxdx.com/pages/supergenius.html[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Madden: If Steelers start 4-0 w/ Lefty, he'll remain starter

"unimpeachable source "? Please. Nobody with any insight, knowledge, or influence would ever engage in such speculation.

There aren't any gimmes in this league, but aside from the game against Baltimore, we start off with a pretty easy schedule. How could anybody legitimately speculate on such a scenario - especially with such a weak body of evidence to support the move?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Dude's an idiot. Is his page really called "supergenius"? You've got to be kidding me.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think people make strong statements like this so they sound like they know what they're talking about.

First, this Madden guy is speculating
    Second, he knows the Steelers probably won't go 4-0 so he can shoot his mouth off all he wants.
    Thirdly, at best...Ben would start when he comes back and maybe Lefty would go back in if Ben lost his first 2 games and looked pretty bad. No way do you sit your franchise QB for an above average at best QB.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He only says this now beause he knows no one will check him come game 5. Weak
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

HeHateMe

I agree. We will be FINE without Ben. The execution will be better and the offense more consistent. Leftwich will get no credit. The credit will go to the running game, play calling and the defense. We played better with Leftwich in 08 and everyone on the team knew it, INCLUDING Ben.

HeHateMe

If we are 4-0 WHY put Ben back in?
    I forsee a Tom Brady/Bledsoe situation emerging for us this coming season. Save this post

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HeHateMe
    If we are 4-0 WHY put Ben back in?
    I forsee a Tom Brady/Bledsoe situation emerging for us this coming season. Save this post
    I'm sure this thread and many others will be re-introduced to you as the season unfolds.

By the way...how would you like it served?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HeHateMe
    I agree. We will be FINE without Ben. The execution will be better and the offense more consistent. Leftwich will get no credit. The credit will go to the running game, play calling and the defense. We played better with Leftwich in 08 and everyone on the team knew it, INCLUDING Ben.

i seriously doubt that anyone will credit the play calling...remember, our OC is Bruce Arians.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah, what a jerk. Madden is still mad about the immacula........wait.......

This is Mark....not "John" Madden....Nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe
    I think people make strong statements like this so they sound like they know what they're talking about.

First, this Madden guy is speculating
    Second, he knows the Steelers probably won't go 4-0 so he can shoot his mouth off all he wants.
    Thirdly, at best...Ben would start when he comes back and maybe Lefty would go back in if Ben lost his first 2 games and looked pretty bad. No way do you sit your franchise QB for an above average at best QB.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher