Thread: Steelers LB James Harrison fine-tunes his technique

Steelers LB James Harrison fine-tunes his technique

Steelers linebacker Harrison tunes technique

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, May 21, 2010

James Harrison

Steelers Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison has 38.5 career sacks. He was the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year in 2008 and then was rewarded with a contract worth as much as $51.175 million.

Still, Harrison, who turned 32 this month, is trying to improve as a pass-rusher. Following Thursday's final voluntary practice of the week, Harrison returned to the field and spent a few minutes working with defensive assistant and former Steelers linebacker Jerry Olsavsky.

"Every year you've got to get better,'' said Harrison, whose sack total dipped from a career-best 16 in 2008 to 10 last season.

Harrison watched as Olsavsky, a former Pitt standout who played with the Steelers from 1989-97, displayed hand placement for use in different pass-rushing techniques. Harrison repeated those movements a few times, attempting to get comfortable with them.

A power rusher who uses ox-cart strength to gain leverage against taller offensive linemen, Harrison said he isn't averse to developing new ways to get to the quarterback.

"(Olsavsky) wants me to try a little something different, so I came out to try it on the bag,'' he said. "When next week comes around, I'll try it in actual practice.''

The Steelers resume voluntary practices Tuesday.

"It feels a little awkward,'' Harrison said. "But everything you start doing feels a little awkward until you get used to it.''

Harrison said he's focusing on the little things.

"Just learning a different technique to try and beat the guy who's in front of you,'' he said. "If you don't get better, then you're getting worse.''

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 82219.html

Re: Steelers LB James Harrison fine-tunes his technique

Good to see that he's still trying to get better. I don't think that it was a coincidence that when his sack totals went down, Woodley's went up. Offenses have to pick their poison with those two.

This year seems to be unique in the fact that a handful of ex-Steelers have returned to their roots to play for their former team again. Antwaan Randle El, Larry Foote, and Bryant McFadden make up the trio that will wear the Black and Gold again.

On the sidelines this time as a coach and not a player is Jerry Olsavsky helping out with the linebackers. He has taken to one man in particular. James Harrison. Harrison has been the victim of many non-holding calls by opposing offensive linemen, and last year one referee said it was because of the way “Silverback” comes from the outside. Olsavsky is working with #92 on a new technique. Harrison on that:

“Every year you've got to get better. Olsavsky wants me to try a little something different, so I came out to try it on the bag. When next week comes around, I'll try it in actual practice. It feels a little awkward. But everything you start doing feels a little awkward until you get used to it. Just learning a different technique to try and beat the guy who's in front of you. If you don't get better, then you're getting worse.”

http://steelershotline.com/coverstory.html

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

This year seems to be unique in the fact that a handful of ex-Steelers have returned to their roots to play for their former team again. Antwaan Randle El, Larry Foote, and Bryant McFadden make up the trio that will wear the Black and Gold again.
    Trio? It's awfully hard to forget that Byron Leftwich has returned as well, considering he has been taking first team snaps at QB.

Aaron Smith's absence also hurt his production. Troy being gone probably did, too.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

Hall of Famer

I don't know DJfan. Smith plays on Woodley's side and Woodley had a great 2nd half with Smith out. I don't think Smith's absence had much to do with Harrison's numbers. He looked tired to me. Hopefully they'll finally figure out that actually rotating in a third OLB will make Wooley and Harrison that much better and more effective in the 4th quarter.
    1 Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
    2 Stephen Tuitt DE Notre Dame
    3c Keith McGill CB Utah
    4 Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5 Jordan Zumwalt ILB UCLA
    5c Anton Exum S Va Tech
    6 Trey Millard FB/TE Oklahoma
    7 Cody Latimer WR Indiana
    7c DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon