Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL substance abuse policy leaves door open for street drugs

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

NFL substance abuse policy leaves door open for street drugs

From the NY Daily News

[url="http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2010/05/15/2010-05-15_former_player_says_nfl_is_league_of_junkies.htm l"]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... nkies.html[/url]

Veteran NFL player says league's substance abuse policy leaves door wide open for street drugs
    I.M. Anonymous
    SPECIAL TO THE NEWS

Originally Published:Saturday, May 15th 2010, 11:48 AM
    Updated: Saturday, May 15th 2010, 5:29 PM

Read more: [url="http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2010/05/15/2010-05-15_former_player_says_nfl_is_league_of_junkies.htm l#ixzz0oCqXXEJ3"]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z0oCqXXEJ3[/url]

The Daily News introduces the Anonymous Athlete, a column about the secret life of professional athletes. This week our NFL veteran says league's substance abuse policy only fights half the battle.

Springtime in the NFL means a few things for players. First, we're training to get ready for minicamps. Two: Our teams are bringing in rookies and free agents. And three: Players have to take a break from their favorite street drug of choice to avoid getting put in the NFL Drug program.

It's only for a few months, because while the NFL is hard on guys like Brian Cushing (Editor's note: The Houston Texans linebacker and reigning Defensive Rookie of the Year recently tested positive for a banned substance and will miss four games this season), it's easy on players who use street drugs.

The hypocrisy of the NFL is that the league goes to extreme measures to make sure we're not using PEDs - which, if used correctly and not abused, could prolong our careers. But the NFL has completely dropped the ball when it comes to street drugs. The NFL doesn't want so-called "cheaters" - players being faster, healthier and playing longer. So they settle for a bunch of gifted junkies.

There are two drug tests in the NFL. First, there's the random performance enhancer test. This can occur at any time throughout the season, on Mondays, Wednesdays or Thursdays. We have to produce a valid urine sample under the watchful eye of an independent company. What's a valid sample? It means the urine can't be too clear or too yellow (they test PH levels before sending samples off to the lab), and the sample has to be given before practice. The cup has to be filled to the correct height. During the offseason, the NFL can also collect random samples anytime, anywhere: With 24 hours notice, they can have someone at your mom's house in any town or state in the USA.

But street drugs? As long as we're not repeat offenders in the NFL's substance abuse program, we get one test and one test only. So every team has a few guys shooting up something: Prescription pills, marijuana, crack, cocaine, meth, pretty much any drug someone can pick up on a street corner is fair game for most players during the football season.

Pretty remarkable what a select few of us individuals can do when you think about it. Marijuana every morning - even a line or two before games. How about two Percocet, one Vicodin? Want a team doctor to give you a shot of Toradol, a powerful painkiller administered via needle that blocks pain receptors, lasts two days and (the best part) is pretty trippy to play on? No problem.

While the NFL is chasing down those PED "cheaters," the real losers only need to cut back on drug use for about two months, in May and June. We're warned at the very first meeting of May minicamp/OTAs by the head athletic trainer: "Annuals are this week ... If you don't get tested this week, you will be tested in June." That kind of behavior almost condones the use of street drugs!

The whole thing is a joke. When players fail a test, other players say, "What an idiot ... He couldn't stop for a month?"

I know guys who (almost) silently pray to get tested in May. The longer they're without, the closer they come to practically screaming, "Test me now! I need to smoke!"

The NFL's substance abuse policy leaves the door wide open to abuse.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: NFL substance abuse policy leaves door open for street drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    From the NY Daily News

[url="http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2010/05/15/2010-05-15_former_player_says_nfl_is_league_of_junkies.htm l"]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... nkies.html[/url]

Veteran NFL player says league's substance abuse policy leaves door wide open for street drugs
    I.M. Anonymous
    SPECIAL TO THE NEWS

Originally Published:Saturday, May 15th 2010, 11:48 AM
    Updated: Saturday, May 15th 2010, 5:29 PM

Read more: [url="http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2010/05/15/2010-05-15_former_player_says_nfl_is_league_of_junkies.htm l#ixzz0oCqXXEJ3"]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z0oCqXXEJ3[/url]

The Daily News introduces the Anonymous Athlete, a column about the secret life of professional athletes. This week our NFL veteran says league's substance abuse policy only fights half the battle.

Springtime in the NFL means a few things for players. First, we're training to get ready for minicamps. Two: Our teams are bringing in rookies and free agents. And three: Players have to take a break from their favorite street drug of choice to avoid getting put in the NFL Drug program.

It's only for a few months, because while the NFL is hard on guys like Brian Cushing (Editor's note: The Houston Texans linebacker and reigning Defensive Rookie of the Year recently tested positive for a banned substance and will miss four games this season), it's easy on players who use street drugs.

The hypocrisy of the NFL is that the league goes to extreme measures to make sure we're not using PEDs - which, if used correctly and not abused, could prolong our careers. Where did this come from - is there an official way to use PEDs"correctly"? And have they been shown to "prolong careers"? I'd guess not, on both countsBut the NFL has completely dropped the ball when it comes to street drugs. The NFL doesn't want so-called "cheaters" - players being faster, healthierAgain, how does heart attacks, high blood pressure, going crazy, etc. translate into "healthier"? and playing longer. So they settle for a bunch of gifted junkies.

There are two drug tests in the NFL. First, there's the random performance enhancer test. This can occur at any time throughout the season, on Mondays, Wednesdays or Thursdays. We have to produce a valid urine sample under the watchful eye of an independent company. What's a valid sample? It means the urine can't be too clear or too yellow (they test PH levels before sending samples off to the lab), and the sample has to be given before practice. The cup has to be filled to the correct height. During the offseason, the NFL can also collect random samples anytime, anywhere: With 24 hours notice, they can have someone at your mom's house in any town or state in the USA.

But street drugs? As long as we're not repeat offenders in the NFL's substance abuse program, we get one test and one test only. So every team has a few guys shooting up something: Prescription pills, marijuana, crack, cocaine, meth, pretty much any drug someone can pick up on a street corner is fair game for most players during the football season.He's saying players do this? during the season???

Pretty remarkable what a select few of us individuals can do when you think about it. Marijuana every morning - even a line or two before games. How about two Percocet, one Vicodin? Want a team doctor to give you a shot of Toradol, a powerful painkiller administered via needle that blocks pain receptors, lasts two days and (the best part) is pretty trippy to play on? No problem.B.S. alert here - I don't think Toradol makes you "trippy" - it's like Motrin, but stronger.

While the NFL is chasing down those PED "cheaters," the real losers only need to cut back on drug use for about two months, in May and June. We're warned at the very first meeting of May minicamp/OTAs by the head athletic trainer: "Annuals are this week ... If you don't get tested this week, you will be tested in June." That kind of behavior almost condones the use of street drugs!

The whole thing is a joke. When players fail a test, other players say, "What an idiot ... He couldn't stop for a month?"

I know guys who (almost) silently pray to get tested in May. The longer they're without, the closer they come to practically screaming, "Test me now! I need to smoke!"

The NFL's substance abuse policy leaves the door wide open to abuse.
    This guy may have a good point to make, but it's hard to take him seriously with all the suspect implications and claims he makes. Maybe it's Florio in disguise?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Performance enhancers have come a long way. If not ABUSED yes I agree can make a player better, fast, etc. These guys take painkillers like candy. Which is far worse then even "regular" street drugs IMO. But I still want a level playing field so to speak. If one is doing it everyone should be.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

this writer is an idiot. he lumps marijuana in with coke and pills. besides marijuana stays in your system longer than any other drug so if a player used anything i would think they would tend to shy away from marijuana opposed to cocaine which is out of your system in less than a week. of course cocaine is obviously a lot worse.

i like that the nba doesnt test for marijuana, its pretty smart because it is hardly detrimental to a person's health compared to every other substance including booze.santonio smoking pot didnt bother me. what pissed me off is he was stupid about it and got ticketed. also advertising it to the world on twitter pissed me off as well, but that is just the sign of an immature jerk.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser
    Performance enhancers have come a long way. If not ABUSED yes I agree can make a player better, fast, etc. These guys take painkillers like candy. Which is far worse then even "regular" street drugs IMO. But I still want a level playing field so to speak. If one is doing it everyone should be.
    PED's have indeed come a long way. What many people don't realize is that all drugs have side effects of some kind even if they don't notice them right away. I have friends/relatives that are in both the bodybuilding and special warfare circles and they can tell you all about the positive benefits of using PE's "responisibly."

IMO, it's a lot better to revisit the issue after some educated discussion than just to jump on the "steroids bad" bandwagon.

Starter

User Info Menu

This isn't just a writer. This is an anonymous NFL player.

I should think they would know these things.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Guys the problem with allowing people do take certain drugs or specifically steroids, it puts pressure on others to do the same thing just to keep pace. That would not be fair because most drug use takes some effect on your body though too many here don't believe so. That's just ignorant. Personally the pros should be there because they are superior athletes to the rest of us and their collegiate teammates. I don't want to reward those willing to cheat for it or pressure those that are equally talented to damage their bodies chasing the dream.

So we need to keep it even and frankly clean. However they do it is fine to me.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    Guys the problem with allowing people do take certain drugs or specifically steroids, it puts pressure on others to do the same thing just to keep pace. That would not be fair because most drug use takes some effect on your body though too many here don't believe so. That's just ignorant. Personally the pros should be there because they are superior athletes to the rest of us and their collegiate teammates. I don't want to reward those willing to cheat for it or pressure those that are equally talented to damage their bodies chasing the dream.

I realize that drugs have side-effects. Even the prilosec I take has negative effects on my body. IMO, amateur athletes should be drug free. However, once one gets to the pro's, I think they should be able to do what they need to in order to make themselves the best they can be as it's their livelyhood.

All kinds of things are bad for your body, but we still do them all the time. One of those things includes running full speed into another human being, but we cheer for it every Sunday in the Autumn.

Legend

User Info Menu

I realize that drugs have side-effects. Even the prilosec I take has negative effects on my body. IMO, amateur athletes should be drug free. However, once one gets to the pro's, I think they should be able to do what they need to in order to make themselves the best they can be as it's their livelyhood.

All kinds of things are bad for your body, but we still do them all the time. One of those things includes running full speed into another human being, but we cheer for it every Sunday in the Autumn.
    Artificially pumping up guys with drugs to make them bigger, stronger, and faster also makes for an increased injury risk when these behemoths do run into each other at full speed. We are trying to cut back on traumatic injury, not increase it. If these pros want to make themselves the best they can be since it is their livelihood, they should eat well, work out, study the playbook, etc. If performance enhancers are allowed at the pro level as you suggest, then even guys that want to heed the warnings and do what is right for their bodies will be tempted to not only use these substances, but abuse these substances, just to keep up with the pack. At that point, if a guy does not use them, he'll be left in the dust in favor of some other roid-head. That's not what sports should be about, on any level. It should be about hard work and talent, not injecting chemicals into your veins.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

you are right every drug has side affects and do some kind of harm either long term or short, that being said why do you think steroids should be allowed for pro athletes? it is in the players best interest more than anyones to have steroids out of the nfl