Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ziggy Hood - Second-year stud or dud?

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: Ziggy Hood - Second-year stud or dud?

Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    I like Ziggy, if only because he is a cartoon character.

In all seriousness-

Tomlin's 1st round picks in 07 & 08 both have the same signature move.

the spin move.

Hopefully this trend does not continue in to 09.

ok, ok- on a seriously, serious note-

We have not seen enough of ziggy to have any real idea about his ability to play the position as a starter- the only things I have taken away from his brief stints in the games were:

- he is very quick and athletic for his size
    - he seems to revert back to his 4-3 DE or UT mentality often
    I don't have a huge problem with linebackers, running backs, and d-linemen utilizing spin moves. However, if we see spin moves from the interior o-lineman we drafted in the first round this year, then there is trouble.

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

I am sure Ziggy will be servicable this season as a backup and giving Smith & Keisel some snaps to rest, assuring they are strong in the 4th quarter (when we melted down with no pressure last year).

My main beef with Ziggy is from last year. How is a first round pick not the primary backup at DE? Travis Kirshke was the primary and Nick Eason as well? Just saying you would think if you are taking a DE in the first round, he better be damn near ready to go so him being behind those guys, even though they are vets, his physicality should blow them out of the water IMHO.
    @_Hellgrammite

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    I am sure Ziggy will be servicable this season as a backup and giving Smith & Keisel some snaps to rest, assuring they are strong in the 4th quarter (when we melted down with no pressure last year).

My main beef with Ziggy is from last year. How is a first round pick not the primary backup at DE? Travis Kirshke was the primary and Nick Eason as well? Just saying you would think if you are taking a DE in the first round, he better be damn near ready to go so him being behind those guys, even though they are vets, his physicality should blow them out of the water IMHO.
    Everything changes going from a 4-3 DT in college to a 3-4 DE in the pros, though (not only learning the plays and dealing with the speed of the game, but even just the change in mindset from being able to just penetrate toward the QB to being a guy who must be responsible for 2 gaps, etc.). The fact that he was able to contribute as much as he did as a rookie was remarkable, in my opinion.

Pro Bowler
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio (Where the standard of expectation does not change)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    I don't have a huge problem with linebackers, running backs, and d-linemen utilizing spin moves.
    I would almost guarantee that Mendenhall is spinning as I type this.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    I don't have a huge problem with linebackers, running backs, and d-linemen utilizing spin moves.
    I would almost guarantee that Mendenhall is spinning as I type this.
    This is the longest distance he's run without spinning at least once...40 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    I like Ziggy, if only because he is a cartoon character.

In all seriousness-

Tomlin's 1st round picks in 07 & 08 both have the same signature move.

the spin move.

Hey, dont dis the spin move.
    Some people have had amazing success using that move: