Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leftwich setting sights on top QB spot

slashsteel

Re: Leftwich setting sights on top QB spot

I dont see Leftwich getting traded. I see Batch being released(and hopefully offered a coaching job). Byron wont cause any problems if Ben returns and starts regardless if he wins (doubtful) all four games. (4 because I see Bens suspension reduced by 2 games). And with Bens past why not keep some insurance around JUSTINCASE?

I think Dixon has a chance to start if he steps it up in preseason. But he will have to clearly beat out Lefty. Will he? we'll see.....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm sure Charlie already knows or was already told he is the odd man out once Ben returns. I'm also sure that Batch probably mentioned this would be his last season and all is fine with the love. In addition to my crystal ball viewings, Batch will not take any offers from another team if the case should arise but, but, but Charlie was probably also requested to remain in football shape for the remainder of the season just in case of injury to one of our three.

My crystal ball has gotten foggy so I need to ask some of you experts a question. When they decide it is Ben, Byron and Dixon will Batch be allowed to show up to practices as a consultant, lift weights and do all the things he has in the past ? And can the Steelers pay him as such just not interfer with the unions or NFL rules ?

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin: Roethlisberger will talk soon

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said today that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will speak to reporters sooner rather than later.

Roethlisberger, who practiced again today, has not fielded questions since getting accused of sexual assault on March 5 in Milledgeville, Ga.

Roethlisberger did not get charged in connection with the incident but commissioner Roger Goodell suspended the two-time Super Bowl winner for the first six games of the 2010 season.

Goodell cleared Roethlisberger to return to practice late last week.

"He will address the media at an appropriate time in the near future," Tomlin said of Roethlisberger after practice.

Roethlisberger ran the first-team offense again today as a cluster of reporters watched from just outside of the Steelers' practice facility.

Tomlin said Roethlisberger and second-year man Dennis Dixon could get more work than Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch in the Steelers' four remaining offseason practices.

Roethlisberger has only participated in four offseason practices because of his suspension. Tomlin said Dixon needs more practice repetitions than Leftwich and Batch because he is not nearly as experienced as the two veterans, who have started 99 NFL games between them.

Leftwich has gotten most of the work with the first-team during offseason drills and appears to have the inside track to the No. 1 job while Roethlisberger is suspended.

[url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_684124.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_684124.html[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Prok

Quote Originally Posted by slashsteel
    I dont see Leftwich getting traded. I see Batch being released(and hopefully offered a coaching job). Byron wont cause any problems if Ben returns and starts regardless if he wins (doubtful) all four games. (4 because I see Bens suspension reduced by 2 games). And with Bens past why not keep some insurance around JUSTINCASE?

I think Dixon has a chance to start if he steps it up in preseason. But he will have to clearly beat out Lefty. Will he? we'll see.....
    I dunno, i think there's an old adage that if the youngster and the vet are even in camp ya go with the youngster?

That said, i want Lefty starting those 4 games. I could be wrong but i think if Dixon was a special player we would have seen it by now.

And agree with most that this team NEEDS Ben to be a SB contender. take Ben away and Bruce's weakness as game-planner and play-caller gets magnified greatly IMO.

I still can't understand why ppl under-estimate Ben. Ya don't know what ya got until it's gone i guess.

Legend

User Info Menu

Report: "Obvious" Leftwich will start Week One

Posted by Evan Silva on June 4, 2010

Somewhat buried at the end of a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette column on suspended Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is a straightforward prediction that Byron Leftwich will replace Roethlisberger during his 4-6 game ban.

The Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette writes that "it has become obvious Byron Leftwich will open the season as the starting quarterback."

Leftwich has the edge on competitor Dennis Dixon in terms of experience and arm strength. Byron also took virtually all of the first-team OTA reps prior to Big Ben's reinstatement to offseason workouts.

It's still very surprising that Dixon wasn't given a fair shake. The Pittsburgh offensive line is not known for potent pass protection, and Dixon's superior mobility would seemingly make him a better bet behind the slow-footed front five. Leftwich has perhaps the slowest delivery of any quarterback in the league.

Dixon also didn't embarrass himself in his Week 12 spot start last season, with Roethlisberger nursing a concussion. Facing almost impossible odds at Baltimore, Dixon accounted for both of Pittsburgh's touchdowns (one rushing, one passing) in the 20-17 loss.

Coach Mike Tomlin has opted for a conservative approach. Considering Leftwich's injury history, though, Dixon remains a good bet to see early-season playing time prior to Roethlisberger's return.

[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/04/report-obvious-leftwich-will-start-week-one/"]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -week-one/[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha