Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Five Most Underpaid Players

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Five Most Underpaid Players

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by Yinzerdude
    No one playing in the NFL today is "underpaid."
    I would disagree. We can say what we wish about it being a sport and the makings of hundreds of thousands a year for the underpaid players. But, the market dictates pay in all walks of life...actors, laywers, physicians, athletes etc. If they are getting less than the market demands for their skill set then they are underpaid.
    In addition to market forces, you have to look at the value created. Players like Woodley generate revenue for the team and the league. Does the value he creates (in ticket sales, tv ratings, jersey sales, etc.) outweigh his salary? If so, then he is underpaid by that measure.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

the big difference in woodley and revis (and willis for that matter) is that they were 1st round picks so, 30% increase for them is significantly more than what woodley made.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    I would disagree. We can say what we wish about it being a sport and the makings of hundreds of thousands a year for the underpaid players. But, the market dictates pay in all walks of life...actors, laywers, physicians, athletes etc. If they are getting less than the market demands for their skill set then they are underpaid.
    In addition to market forces, you have to look at the value created. Players like Woodley generate revenue for the team and the league. Does the value he creates (in ticket sales, tv ratings, jersey sales, etc.) outweigh his salary? If so, then he is underpaid by that measure.
    That's just great coming from our resident doctor and lawyer. Is that how you guys justify outrageous prices for your services? Because you can get it? :P

It's greed...pure and simple. Whether that greed is inherent to the individual, industry, or some combination of both, it is what it is. Don't try and paint extortion out to be nothing more than a product of a free-market society. There's a little more going on.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    That's just great coming from our resident doctor and lawyer. Is that how you guys justify outrageous prices for your services? Because you can get it? :P

It's greed...pure and simple. Whether that greed is inherent to the individual, industry, or some combination of both, it is what it is. Don't try and paint extortion out to be nothing more than a product of a free-market society. There's a little more going on.
    His time (or anyone's) is a scarce resource. They should sell it out at the price the market would bear.

You're kidding yourself if you think you'd work for $8 an hour is someone was willing to pay you $100 for the same work. Everyone doing what's best for themselves has shown itself to be the best way to advance us all as a collective.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz

His time (or anyone's) is a scarce resource. They should sell it out at the price the market would bear.

You're kidding yourself if you think you'd work for $8 an hour is someone was willing to pay you $100 for the same work. Everyone doing what's best for themselves has shown itself to be the best way to advance us all as a collective.
    What are you even talking about?

Legend

User Info Menu

Hey I think I'm underpaid as well. I'm thinking about a hold out.

(yes I say that tongue in cheek.)
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hey I think I'm underpaid as well. I'm thinking about a hold out.

(yes I say that tongue in cheek.)
    I'm maybe slightly underpaid...but not by much.

For the record, the greed comment was intended towards the ridiculous salaries commanded by actors, athletes, corporate CEOs, and such. From past discussions I've had on the subject, I put an arbitrary salary of $1M annually as a good indicator of greed (within the individual or industry) being involved.

Legend

User Info Menu

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these guys are worth it, BUT ...

If someone is willing to pay a certain amount for someone else's services, how is it greed to agree to that?

It's not like one party is dying of thirst and just wants a glass of water, and the other has a truck full of Dasani and won't part with a bottle for less than $500. It's just two sides negotiating.

Myself, I'd rather see those salaries split among 25 teachers or social workers, but hey - it's a free country.

Remember ... "You can't spell 'agreed' without 'greed'".

My (willing to part with them for 4 cents, however!!)

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!