Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFL substance abuse policy leaves door open for street drugs

Re: NFL substance abuse policy leaves door open for street drugs

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    Guys the problem with allowing people do take certain drugs or specifically steroids, it puts pressure on others to do the same thing just to keep pace. That would not be fair because most drug use takes some effect on your body though too many here don't believe so. That's just ignorant. Personally the pros should be there because they are superior athletes to the rest of us and their collegiate teammates. I don't want to reward those willing to cheat for it or pressure those that are equally talented to damage their bodies chasing the dream.

So we need to keep it even and frankly clean. However they do it is fine to me.
    I realize that drugs have side-effects. Even the prilosec I take has negative effects on my body. IMO, amateur athletes should be drug free. However, once one gets to the pro's, I think they should be able to do what they need to in order to make themselves the best they can be as it's their livelyhood.

All kinds of things are bad for your body, but we still do them all the time. One of those things includes running full speed into another human being, but we cheer for it every Sunday in the Autumn.
    Artificially pumping up guys with drugs to make them bigger, stronger, and faster also makes for an increased injury risk when these behemoths do run into each other at full speed. We are trying to cut back on traumatic injury, not increase it. If these pros want to make themselves the best they can be since it is their livelihood, they should eat well, work out, study the playbook, etc. If performance enhancers are allowed at the pro level as you suggest, then even guys that want to heed the warnings and do what is right for their bodies will be tempted to not only use these substances, but abuse these substances, just to keep up with the pack. At that point, if a guy does not use them, he'll be left in the dust in favor of some other roid-head. That's not what sports should be about, on any level. It should be about hard work and talent, not injecting chemicals into your veins.
    Steroids don't take the place of hard work or talent. We've come a long way in sports science since the 70's and 80's. Players will do whatever they need to in order to make themselves better, so if that's eating well, excercising and taking their vitamins- great. If it means putting science to work, so be it.

Pro Bowler

"IMO, amateur athletes should be drug free. However, once one gets to the pro's, I think they should be able to do what they need to in order to make themselves the best they can be as it's their livelyhood."

This is the most ridiculous statement I've read on here.

So if a guy is an incredible talent and a real joy to watch, you think he should have to take some drugs that may shorten his life to keep pace with some other douche that isn't as talented but cheating.
    Are you saying a guys post football career doesn't matter since he plays pro sports?

We (those out of school) are all pros in something, but typically aren't asked to take drugs for our job. If you have some other issue in life, then yes. Can't sleep or have a bad stomach or whatever, you need some drugs. But that's not job related. But 1 guy being inferior to another is not a good reason to allow drugs into the league.

"IMO, amateur athletes should be drug free. However, once one gets to the pro's, I think they should be able to do what they need to in order to make themselves the best they can be as it's their livelyhood."

So if a guy is an incredible talent and a real joy to watch, you think he should have to take some drugs that may shorten his life to keep pace with some other douche that isn't as talented but cheating.
    Are you saying a guys post football career doesn't matter since he plays pro sports?

We (those out of school) are all pros in something, but typically aren't asked to take drugs for our job. If you have some other issue in life, then yes. Can't sleep or have a bad stomach or whatever, you need some drugs. But that's not job related. But 1 guy being inferior to another is not a good reason to allow drugs into the league.
    I hate to tell you but a lot of pilots and spec ops guys take PE's to allow them to be able to function at the level they need to for their jobs. Most would probably agree that the NFL is an elite unit and NOT like average jobs.

Personally, I believe all testing should be multiple and random. With that said, I lump alcohol with marijuana and believe if you test for one you test for the other. Alcohol can be detected in the blood for a week after ingestion by special testing.

Personally, what I would propose is NFL mandatory testing on everything but alcohol and marijuana. And let teams individual dictate their own policy on those two substances.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

I 100% agree. By allowing them to be legal in the league...you force other athletes to take them to compete.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

Pro Bowler

What does the military have to do with real life?

They also ask you to die for your country if duty calls.
    Not exactly the same as the entertainment industry. Pro sports are supposed to be about superior athletes, not the ones that can find the best edge.
    I wonder of some of you ever understood competition in the first place, not what the media has turned it into.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn

I 100% agree. By allowing them to be legal in the league...you force other athletes to take them to compete.
    If everyone took anabolic steroids, HGH, and even horse tranquilizers, even the WR's would be all over 6'6" 260+ lbs. and run the 40 yard dash in the 4.3's or less. How would a guy without elite size or elite speed and only elite heart (like, say, Hines Ward) be able to compete in that environment without juicing up as well? He wouldn't. The concept of allowing PED's in pro sports is ludicrous and dangerous.

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware