Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mike Tomlin: 'Coaches around the league don't care about my

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Mike Tomlin: 'Coaches around the league don't care about my

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Dixon and Leftwich are the two legitimate choices. Charlie Batch is a china doll who can't finish a game without an injury. It would be ludicrous to give him all the snaps knowing that he'll likely not make it through the preseason, let alone the first game.

Lefty will likely be the starter with Dixon as the backup. Dixon will move into the #3 role when Ben gets back.

To the guy who said that Dixon doesn't belong on this roster if he isn't the starter for game 1, I don't understand your point. Dixon is a young developmental QB with upside. Of course you keep him on the roster. You usually want two vets and a young developmental guy. That is the right mix.
    Dixon is also only about 210lbs. QBs that size don't take the pounding that QBs take very well especially behind our OL. He is a good NFL back up QB who can do one spot start here and there. I don't think there was ever a thought he would become an everyday NFL starter.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    If Dixon isn't the starter he has no business being on the roster.
    Why do some fans live with this kind of extremism?

I agree with what you are saying but that being said, I wonder why with Dixon's athleticism, he hasn't really seen the field outside of his emergency start against Baltimore. I really wonder if he is going to make the team this season. You would think, if they want to keep him and promote him as the primary backup to Ben, the coaching staff would want him to get some time on the field, in whatever capacity. Whether it be wideout, line up in the backfield, wildcat, whatever. The fact that they haven't found a place on the field at any time for a guy as athletic as him scares me a bit about his future with the team.
    because we have ben roethlisberger thats why dixon doesnt see the field. we also had a wr's like holmes, ward and wallace. our rb's were mendy, parker and moore. how would dixon get on the field with those players in front of him?
    If Dixon could play a little WR like Kordell used to do he'd certainly get on the field a lot more this coming season.
    that is true he would definetly get on the field this year at wr. i dont think he has the speed kordell had. he does throw a better ball then kordell and i hope he can read defenses better than kordell.

Starter

User Info Menu

If he's the 3rd string QB he's not getting on the field as a WR no matter how good he may be at WR.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8
    If he's the 3rd string QB he's not getting on the field as a WR no matter how good he may be at WR.
    Yeah, 3rd string QB's are designated inactive. If they enter the game at all before the 4th quarter, the 1st and 2nd string QB's are not allowed to re-enter the game.

As for him being a WR, I'd rather have Ward, Wallace, Randle El, Battle, Sanders, and Brown running routes, not a back-up QB, thank you very much. Those guys are legit WR's who have played and practiced at WR for years. Dixon is just an athletic guy. Have you ever seen him try to run a full NFL route tree? I sure haven't. Let the real WR's catch passes. Let the QB's throw passes.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ha, St. Pierre was still on the Arizona roster until maybe this year. I'm not sure he ever played a down in Arizona, but has been there several years. And will NEVER be a viable option in the NFL.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree with what you are saying but that being said, I wonder why with Dixon's athleticism, he hasn't really seen the field outside of his emergency start against Baltimore. I really wonder if he is going to make the team this season. You would think, if they want to keep him and promote him as the primary backup to Ben, the coaching staff would want him to get some time on the field, in whatever capacity. Whether it be wideout, line up in the backfield, wildcat, whatever. The fact that they haven't found a place on the field at any time for a guy as athletic as him scares me a bit about his future with the team.
    because we have ben roethlisberger thats why dixon doesnt see the field. we also had a wr's like holmes, ward and wallace. our rb's were mendy, parker and moore. how would dixon get on the field with those players in front of him?
    I never said he would play QB, but he could be used effectively in the wildcat, yet he isn't. I just don't feel the Steelers have enough faith in him to be on the field. That was my point. Obviously, he isn't the starting QB.

Starter

User Info Menu

I never said he would play QB, but he could be used effectively in the wildcat, yet he isn't. I just don't feel the Steelers have enough faith in him to be on the field. That was my point. Obviously, he isn't the starting QB.
    Looks like you missed this so here it is again:

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8
    Yeah, 3rd string QB's are designated inactive. If they enter the game at all before the 4th quarter, the 1st and 2nd string QB's are not allowed to re-enter the game.

As for him being a WR, I'd rather have Ward, Wallace, Randle El, Battle, Sanders, and Brown running routes, not a back-up QB, thank you very much. Those guys are legit WR's who have played and practiced at WR for years. Dixon is just an athletic guy. Have you ever seen him try to run a full NFL route tree? I sure haven't. Let the real WR's catch passes. Let the QB's throw passes.