Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce Arians faces a major challenge

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Bruce Arians faces a major challenge

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    For sure we are weak in the center of our o-line. it's no surprise we were the number one running teams when we had Webster, Dawson and Hartings.

I believe a stud center makes everyone better. That goes for guards, tackles, rbs, fbs and qbs.

I hope Pouncey is groomed to be a center if he is capable. My question is this, " What do we lack the most or need the most, a replacement at guard or a replacement at center ? "

Let Pouncey have his chance at center. Ben isn't there to get killed by his lack of experience and he get killed most of the time anyway. With all the hype I've heard about Pouncey, he should at least be better than Mayhen right now and that skill quality of being better than Mayhen is probably equal with Hartwig.

Let the dude learn now so he can get it under his belt and start making the probowl in about two or three years.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    [Sure BA refused to run at times but looking around the league it's obvious plenty of OC's are running empty sets and passing on 3rd and 1.
    What?

Who?

That is taking a high percentage play and turning it into...well...a much lower one. If any other coach did this, I can promise you it was situational and not something they do with any regularity. It's one thing to throw on third and one. A quick hitter, especially off a play-fake, can be a great call from time to time.

Throwing it out of an empty set however, is simply stupid. With no threat of a run, DE's can pin their ears back, there's no one to chip or protect Ben, and linebackers are free to cheat where they need to in coverage. The only benefit is that you get 5 guys in pattern and you're probably catching them in a different package defensively - getting a "mismatch".

We'd be much better served by being able to punch teams in the mouth on 3rd and short and taking advantage of that through the occasional play-fake. High percentage stuff.

Arians does this all too frequently and he does it in critical situations around the goal line as well. Please show me some type of evidence that any other OC in the NFL does this with any amount of regularity. I'm not condemning your recall ability as much as I'm having a hard time believing that anyone else would do this and still have a job.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree in principle Flasteel but I watched the Saints, Cowboys, Iggles, Colts and Pats all run empty on 3rd and 1 numerous times. Since we have no emotion in their games we don't hold them accountable or file it away for post game bashing when they don't make it.

Every year Jason Garrett is a genius until the Cowboys lose then a bunch of Cowboy fans talk about his lack of imagination and how he sucks azzz.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

On the flip side of that, I remember watching some Giants games where the FB blocks who he's supposed to on a 3rd and 1 and the RB follows the FB and picks up the 1st down.

With ARE back in the mix, we'll probably see some new plays with him in there in 3rd and shorts and 3rd and goals. I'd still like to see a real FB on the final 53 man roster.

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73

I'd still like to see a real FB on the final 53 man roster.

Repeat over and over again until you understand Bruce's feelings about having a FB...

“I don't have a fullback. There's no fullback in my offense, there's never going to be one.”
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

The more Mike Tomlin insists his three "other" quarterbacks will get opportunities to compete for Ben Roethlisberger's job, the more snaps Byron Leftwich takes with the first team. The Steelers knocked out three more OTA practices this week and Leftwich ran with the ones in all three after doing so in five minicamp practices early this month. They are down to nine OTAs remaining for either Dennis Dixon or Charlie Batch to get their "opportunity" because Tomlin has said he will know his No. 1 quarterback entering training camp, or at least that's what he said last week. "I won't necessarily know who the starter is, per se, by the end of the OTAs," Tomlin said this week. "I did make a comment last week in regards to how I'm approaching it. I really don't believe it's an effective approach to go in with a pure open quarterback competition, if you will, a three-headed quarterback battle. There simply aren't enough snaps to go around. "We'll go in with a pecking order, if you will, and the opportunities to show what you're capable of will be based on that pecking order. All guys will be given an opportunity, not an equal opportunity, that's the nature of this game, the nature of this business. I will make those judgments based on intuition and knowledge I have of the men at an appropriate time and we'll proceed."

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians says it's a process that starts with the system and goes from there. "This time of year you find out what they can do," Arians said of the quarterbacks. "You keep stretching the envelope and say, 'OK, this is the offense, everybody's doing it,' and then you just make mental notes as you go along: 'He really struggles with that throw or he really struggles with that footwork, or this type of read or letting him change protections.' So If and when the time comes to call on one you can tailor your game plan to fit him." The different styles of the quarterbacks does not matter, Arians said. "You have an offense that you hope is broad enough that can fit each guy's style, what he does best, and you don't ask guys to do things they can't do. That's the key to all offenses is you take your personnel, you find out what we can do and it's broad enough if an injury occurs here or there."

[url="http://steelershotline.com/coverstory.html"]http://steelershotline.com/coverstory.html[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Pittsburgh Steelers Lack of Running Game Can Be Blamed on Arians

It is something Steelers fans have been clamoring for ever since Jerome Bettis retired. The Steelers need to get back to a power running attack.

As time passed from Bettis’ retirement and Ben Roethlisberger developed as a quarterback, the Steelers changed from a tough, physical offense to a finesse, spread it out offense.

With the change, the Steelers also lost the ability to run the ball on a consistent basis and it reached its breaking point last season with the fans and the team President, Art Rooney II.

“I think Mike (Tomlin) and I certainly agreed coming off the season that we need to run the ball more consistently to get to where we want to get to.”

The Steelers want to get back to the playoffs and back to the Super Bowl. In order to achieve that, Rooney believes that the Steelers need to get back to their old ways.

“So that’s part of the thinking in the offseason: We need to figure out how to get better running the football.”

Pittsburgh struggled last season to run the ball, particularly in short yardage situations. This problem became most apparent on a Thursday night game in December at Cleveland.

Rather than trying to pick up a first down on a third and short by inserting a fullback and powering the ball forward, Pittsburgh ran a shotgun play with five wide outs.

They failed to convert.

The Steelers also failed to score a touchdown and dropped their fifth straight game, all but eliminating them from playoff contention.

It is situations such as these that Rooney hopes the Steelers can improve upon in 2010.

“We have to get back to being able to run the football when we need to run the football.”

How will the Steelers achieve this? Well, the first step was to send the message to the source of the problem, Bruce Arians.

According to Rooney, “Mike has talked to Bruce about that.”

The Steelers do not have to go back to three yards and a cloud of dust style, in which they run the ball 60 percent of the time. They will be expected, however, to improve upon the 42.2 percent that they ran the ball last season.

In a recent interview, Arians acknowledged the team’s short yardage issue.

”I think the critical runs, short-yardage, goal line, have been a problem. They got addressed (in 200 with Gary Russell. Now is it going to be Rashard? It could be Isaac Redman, it could be by a bunch of guys. Is it a back or is it by committee? This time of year you get your running game going, but in training camp you find out that short-yardage stuff. You win the job that way.”

This past season, Redman looked to be the short yardage back, but did not suit up for the Steelers and instead spent much of the season on the practice squad.

What message does this send to the team —that their best short yardage back not only will not play in the game, but will not make the final roster? This is exactly why the Steelers could not convert in short yardage situations. The offensive coordinator did not put a stress on it and would rather throw for the first down than run for it.

Part of the reason that Arians feels that they can pass so much is he believes that is an extension of the running game.

“We take some short screen stuff and treat that as the running game.”

That is not quite how it works.

The offensive line does not move forward when they are pass blocking. They cannot impose their will on the defensive line and linebackers, to wear them down, which can be crucial —another problem area for the Steelers, as recognized by Arians.

“At the end of the game, in the four-minute (offense) to run out the clock and not punt the ball, short yards, we have to be more efficient.”

If the team was more effective at running the ball in the fourth quarter, the defense may not have blown so many leads and the Steelers could have been in the playoffs. However, this was not the case.

Pittsburgh did not put an emphasis on establishing the run last season in camp and as a result, could not impose their will on any team last season.

So with the problems recognized, what will be done about them?

Arians has an 1,100 yard running back with the ability to run inside or outside who is just on the brink of breaking out in Rashard Mendenhall.

Behind Mendenhall, there is the dependable Mewelde Moore, and then young running backs in Redman and rookie Jonathan Dwyer.

This stable of backs is more than enough to find success on the ground, but they could use some help from a fullback.

Prior to the start of last season, Arians noted this area of need.

“There’s not a fullback on the roster. There’s a running back that plays fullback, a tight end who plays fullback. I don’t have a fullback. There’s no fullback in my offense, there’s never going to be one.”

Never? Maybe not never.

Pittsburgh currently has one fullback on their roster, though his only experience at the position goes back to high school.

Demetrius Taylor is a 6'0" 273 lbs former defensive tackle who is trying out at fullback for the Steelers.

Taylor has potential to be a lead blocker for the offense and while it is unlikely he would see a significant amount of action, it would be expected that the Steelers use a fullback more this season than this past season.

Taylor will have to show enough blocking ability to beat out Sean McHugh and David Johnson, tight ends who also have the ability to play fullback. This would be a welcome addition for the Steelers running backs, particularly when trying to pick up short yardage.

Pittsburgh will also be entering the season with an improved offensive line.

First-round draft choice, Maurkice Pouncey, is likely to start from week one at right guard. The line should be able to generate more push and open up more holes this season.

However, do not expect the team to line up week one and pound the ball.

Opponents will be prepared for two reasons. First, they know the Steelers want to run the ball more this season and second, Pittsburgh is without Roethlisberger for at least the first four weeks of the season.

Without the playmaker at quarterback, teams can concentrate on stopping the run.

Expect the Steelers to work harder in camp this season to run the ball. But, be wary —Arians felt similarly confident entering last season that the Steelers would have a successful ground game.

“When we came out of training camp last year, we were running the ball as well as we have since Super Bowl XL. We’re having success in training camp, running the ball pretty good.”

Obviously it was not because the team was not effective at all. Then again, Arians did not try to establish the run at any point last season either.

This may be in part because he has trouble planning for certain defenses.

“Now the problem occurs when you see a different style, when you see penetrating 4-3 (defensive linemen). It’s a totally different technique for the offensive line and tight ends.”

Arians better prepare his team for 4-3 defenses, because he will see a lot of them this season. It is not a good excuse for the lack of a running game.

The message has been sent from the top, the personnel is in place, and the plan of action is set. It is up to Arians to see that Pittsburgh meets their goal this season. If not, the blame can be placed on his shoulders.

[url="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/395156-steelers-lack-of-running-game-can-be-blamed-on-arians"]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3951 ... -on-arians[/url]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Pittsburgh Steelers Lack of Running Game Can Be Blamed on Arians

It is something Steelers fans have been clamoring for ever since Jerome Bettis retired. The Steelers need to get back to a power running attack.

As time passed from Bettis’ retirement and Ben Roethlisberger developed as a quarterback, the Steelers changed from a tough, physical offense to a finesse, spread it out offense.

With the change, the Steelers also lost the ability to run the ball on a consistent basis and it reached its breaking point last season with the fans and the team President, Art Rooney II.

“I think Mike (Tomlin) and I certainly agreed coming off the season that we need to run the ball more consistently to get to where we want to get to.”

The Steelers want to get back to the playoffs and back to the Super Bowl. In order to achieve that, Rooney believes that the Steelers need to get back to their old ways.

“So that’s part of the thinking in the offseason: We need to figure out how to get better running the football.”

Pittsburgh struggled last season to run the ball, particularly in short yardage situations. This problem became most apparent on a Thursday night game in December at Cleveland.

Rather than trying to pick up a first down on a third and short by inserting a fullback and powering the ball forward, Pittsburgh ran a shotgun play with five wide outs.

They failed to convert.

The Steelers also failed to score a touchdown and dropped their fifth straight game, all but eliminating them from playoff contention.

It is situations such as these that Rooney hopes the Steelers can improve upon in 2010.

“We have to get back to being able to run the football when we need to run the football.”

How will the Steelers achieve this? Well, the first step was to send the message to the source of the problem, Bruce Arians.

According to Rooney, “Mike has talked to Bruce about that.”

The Steelers do not have to go back to three yards and a cloud of dust style, in which they run the ball 60 percent of the time. They will be expected, however, to improve upon the 42.2 percent that they ran the ball last season.

In a recent interview, Arians acknowledged the team’s short yardage issue.

”I think the critical runs, short-yardage, goal line, have been a problem. They got addressed (in 200 with Gary Russell. Now is it going to be Rashard? It could be Isaac Redman, it could be by a bunch of guys. Is it a back or is it by committee? This time of year you get your running game going, but in training camp you find out that short-yardage stuff. You win the job that way.”

This past season, Redman looked to be the short yardage back, but did not suit up for the Steelers and instead spent much of the season on the practice squad.

What message does this send to the team —that their best short yardage back not only will not play in the game, but will not make the final roster? This is exactly why the Steelers could not convert in short yardage situations. The offensive coordinator did not put a stress on it and would rather throw for the first down than run for it.

Part of the reason that Arians feels that they can pass so much is he believes that is an extension of the running game.

“We take some short screen stuff and treat that as the running game.”

That is not quite how it works.

The offensive line does not move forward when they are pass blocking. They cannot impose their will on the defensive line and linebackers, to wear them down, which can be crucial —another problem area for the Steelers, as recognized by Arians.

“At the end of the game, in the four-minute (offense) to run out the clock and not punt the ball, short yards, we have to be more efficient.”

If the team was more effective at running the ball in the fourth quarter, the defense may not have blown so many leads and the Steelers could have been in the playoffs. However, this was not the case.

Pittsburgh did not put an emphasis on establishing the run last season in camp and as a result, could not impose their will on any team last season.

So with the problems recognized, what will be done about them?

Arians has an 1,100 yard running back with the ability to run inside or outside who is just on the brink of breaking out in Rashard Mendenhall.

Behind Mendenhall, there is the dependable Mewelde Moore, and then young running backs in Redman and rookie Jonathan Dwyer.

This stable of backs is more than enough to find success on the ground, but they could use some help from a fullback.

Prior to the start of last season, Arians noted this area of need.

“There’s not a fullback on the roster. There’s a running back that plays fullback, a tight end who plays fullback. I don’t have a fullback. There’s no fullback in my offense, there’s never going to be one.”

Never? Maybe not never.

Pittsburgh currently has one fullback on their roster, though his only experience at the position goes back to high school.

Demetrius Taylor is a 6'0" 273 lbs former defensive tackle who is trying out at fullback for the Steelers.

Taylor has potential to be a lead blocker for the offense and while it is unlikely he would see a significant amount of action, it would be expected that the Steelers use a fullback more this season than this past season.

Taylor will have to show enough blocking ability to beat out Sean McHugh and David Johnson, tight ends who also have the ability to play fullback. This would be a welcome addition for the Steelers running backs, particularly when trying to pick up short yardage.

Pittsburgh will also be entering the season with an improved offensive line.

First-round draft choice, Maurkice Pouncey, is likely to start from week one at right guard. The line should be able to generate more push and open up more holes this season.

However, do not expect the team to line up week one and pound the ball.

Opponents will be prepared for two reasons. First, they know the Steelers want to run the ball more this season and second, Pittsburgh is without Roethlisberger for at least the first four weeks of the season.

Without the playmaker at quarterback, teams can concentrate on stopping the run.

Expect the Steelers to work harder in camp this season to run the ball. But, be wary —Arians felt similarly confident entering last season that the Steelers would have a successful ground game.

“When we came out of training camp last year, we were running the ball as well as we have since Super Bowl XL. We’re having success in training camp, running the ball pretty good.”

Obviously it was not because the team was not effective at all. Then again, Arians did not try to establish the run at any point last season either.

This may be in part because he has trouble planning for certain defenses.

“Now the problem occurs when you see a different style, when you see penetrating 4-3 (defensive linemen). It’s a totally different technique for the offensive line and tight ends.”

Arians better prepare his team for 4-3 defenses, because he will see a lot of them this season. It is not a good excuse for the lack of a running game.

The message has been sent from the top, the personnel is in place, and the plan of action is set. It is up to Arians to see that Pittsburgh meets their goal this season. If not, the blame can be placed on his shoulders.

[url="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/395156-steelers-lack-of-running-game-can-be-blamed-on-arians"]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3951 ... -on-arians[/url]
    I realize this is some Joe Schmo from the bleacherreport, but it was friggin' MONEY. This should be required reading for those who still cling to the idea that BA is not a problem.

Legend

User Info Menu

Arians Speaks

by WyoFan on May 20, 2010

Bruce Arians spoke publicly for the first time since last season here:

[url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10140/1059455-66.stm"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10140/1059455-66.stm[/url]

and here:

[url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_682019.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 82019.html[/url]

I don't know what to say. He's like the idiot that married your sister. Yeah, you love your sister, but every time he opens his mouth, you wonder what she sees in him. What can you do? Just continue to smile and pretend, for her sake, everything is okay.

Fortunately, the Steelers are not my sister.

From what I read, I got the impression that ol' Bruce really doesn't agree that his run game sucked last year. Oh, I get it, the receivers were the running backs, because in his mind, a short pass is really a run. It's all so clear now.

"Take the Super Bowl for example. There were seven catches or six catches Santonio [Holmes] had that were running plays when [there were] safeties blitz that are unblockable, and you have runs called. So it's not a 'number' of runs because we threw the ball out there and got a bunch of yards. 'Oh, that's a good pass.' No, that was a running play. That happens quite often. And what we do, we take some short screen stuff and treat that as [part of the] running game."

No, that wasn't clear at all. Sorry.

But, he did talk about the past success in the short yardage game with - Garry Russell?

"I think the critical runs, short-yardage, goal line, have been a problem," Arians said. "They got addressed (in 200 with Gary Russell.

I've gotten older, my memory is Swiss Cheese at this point, can anyone refresh me as to when Gary Russell was "Addressing" the short yardage woes of the Steelers? And if he was, why didn't the Steelers keep using him?

This little gem made me choke on my Copenhagen:

"When we came out of training camp last year, we were running the ball as well as we have since Super Bowl XL (in 2005),"

Maybe, just maybe, Ariens was the bad influence on Holmes. He seems to be smoking the same stuff.

Of course, It's not Ariens fault that his team struggled against 4-3 defenses. It's not like it is his job to, you know, get his offense ready to play the next team. What, was it a shock to him when these teams lined up in a 4-3?

"We're having success in training camp, running the ball pretty good. Now the problem occurs when you see a different style, when you see penetrating 4-3 (defensive linemen). It's a totally different technique for the offensive line and tight ends."

That last quote smells like Bruce is the type of guy that doesn't take into account what the other team is doing. You know, the guys that says "Were going to play our game", no matter what. Which is fine when you impose your will on the other team, not when your running game sucks.

I'm hoping that Mr. Arians said this just to be nice to his friend :

Larry did a hell of a job

He is of course speaking of that guy we all know and love, Larry Zierlein. Yeah, he did a hell of a job, unless, the Steelers had to run against a 4-3 defense (or any defense), get short, critical yardage, or had to run a few minutes off the clock at the end of the game. Like I said, I hope Bruce was just showing the flag for a friend, otherwise, he is just delusional - Which I'm not ruling out.

I get the impression from reading these, and this is all just my opinion, that Bruce doesn't really think there was anything wrong with his performance last year. He seems to give excuses (4-3 defense, unblockable defensive plays) for his performance. Or, he says that some of the passing game is really the running game. Really? I get the impression he thinks we are just too dumb to understand all this, or too dumb to see through all his B.S.

It seems to me that he does not see any failure running the ball last year, even though he said it, and he is not really with the program. Kind of like he is being forced to address the running game, and he is doing it reluctantly.

[url="http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/5/20/1480317/arians-speaks"]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... ans-speaks[/url]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Was there a reason we didn't keep Russell ? I didn't thnk he was that bad and I thought he was better than Carey Davis. Wasn't Russell a lot heavier his rookie season and then lost weight the following season ? I much rather had a hefty Russell to punch the ball into the endzone but, I guess big doesn't always mean bad.