Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce Arians faces a major challenge

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: Bruce Arians faces a major challenge

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    If Arians had Bettis? that's funny..... How many SB's did Bettis get us before Ben arrived?

A lot of fans hated taking the ball out of Ben's hands in the second half and wanted to go pass happy with Cowher.

Fans always want what they don't have. Before we wanted to air it out.. now they want smashmouth...

I'm glad we have no control over the football team because every year it would be polar opposites of the year before. Our FO realizes every year will not be a SB year and they don't jump the gun. Thank goodness.

Legend

User Info Menu

If Arians had Bettis? that's funny..... How many SB's did Bettis get us before Ben arrived?

A lot of fans hated taking the ball out of Ben's hands in the second half and wanted to go pass happy with Cowher.

Fans always want what they don't have. Before we wanted to air it out.. now they want smashmouth...

I'm glad we have no control over the football team because every year it would be polar opposites of the year before. Our FO realizes every year will not be a SB year and they don't jump the gun. Thank goodness.
    I agree.

Parker and Mendenhall did not do to poorly rushing the ball in the offense. They did not have the Olines or blocking TE that Bettis ran behind. People use the lack of a FB to trash BA. Many offenses have success without a true FB. It is really a question of philosophy.

I don't believe there are any easily winnable games in the NFL. Teams are so closely matched talent wise that many games come down to 7 points or less. I think the Steelers were in 11 such games. People also screamed predictability under Cowher. The bottom line is execution. At the end of the day, they won and loss those games as a team.

The powers that be felt that they did some good things on offense. They can get better if they can improve in a few areas. The offense is not as inept as some claim.

Teams don't win SB's despite anyone. Change one element from a SB winner and the team might not had won.

Legend

User Info Menu

That sound good but it is not correct.
    Some fans like smashmouth and others like airing it out.
    "Some" fans are always complaining because half are not happy, no matter the style.

Given my preference, I like explosive first halves to get a lead, then "the turtle" to keep the lead. Bens early years with Bettis were perfect.

We passed more than people realized in the first half of games, especially against good teams. Bens totals were modest, because we went to the run game in the second half.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

We had a much better OL with Bettis... and Bettis is a once in a lifetime RB. Heath Miller s great but his run blocking is not that good. Our Center has been suspect and we have moved guys around on the OL the last 3 years.

With Pouncey and a new OL coach I think we will see major improvements in the run game. I can't fault BA for our OL woes... that is a management issue. We went skill positions instead of OL and won a second SB. I'm ok with that.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Re-commit to the run? I don't think so... Bettis was a once in a lifetime RB and our OL was stellar. Mend had 1200 yards behind an average OL and with Pouncey and the new OL coach I see our run game improving immensely.

People act like Arians was working with Bettis and pro bowlers on the OL.
    Arians is far from perfect but he was at least smart enough to realize what many fans don't. Bettis was in fact a once in a lifetime RB and probably the most unique "big" RB ever to play the game. Once Bettis left something needed to change because you no longer had a 270lb RB with his combination of quickness and power to hand the ball to.

Bettis made Krieder and the OL look much better than they probably were.

Arians will help himself immensely if he remembers that TEs and RBs can be receivers too. More importantly he will more than earn his money if he can convince Ben it is OK for a TE or RB to be your primary target and not just a emergency outlet to dump the ball to at the end of your progressions.

Miller is one of the top 3 TEs in the NFL and Spaeth has never been fully utilized for his pass catching skills since the first three games of his rookie year when he caught three TDs. Using both of them will be critical this season with an unsettled and developing situation at WR.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Finding his way home every night is a challenge to Arians.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think its funny that people immediately think that we're gonna run the ball better than last year because we added Pouncey and a new OL coach.

Here's the problem- Arians and his formations. The formation really dictates alot of the success to each play. He's a coach who likes the pass. His philosophy is to pass first then run, that's why he likes the 2 TE sets with only 1 running back. He likes the flexibility at the TE position- frankly, I do too to some extent, however, the philosophy has to change first before the running game will improve. We'll see just how much Tomlin inputs into the offense this year- I for one would like to see an actual FB be used instead of a TE.

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't mind that we are a passing team but if we find ourselves in the situation that running is needed for clock control, ball control, short yardages or endzone drives Arians, better have his team tuned into it.

Get a fullback and have the line do some pushing of the defense off the line of scrimmage.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    I think its funny that people immediately think that we're gonna run the ball better than last year because we added Pouncey and a new OL coach.

Here's the problem- Arians and his formations. The formation really dictates alot of the success to each play. He's a coach who likes the pass. His philosophy is to pass first then run, that's why he likes the 2 TE sets with only 1 running back. He likes the flexibility at the TE position- frankly, I do too to some extent, however, the philosophy has to change first before the running game will improve. We'll see just how much Tomlin inputs into the offense this year- I for one would like to see an actual FB be used instead of a TE.

What's funny is Mend getting 1200 yards in 12 games and BA taking the blame for the worst 4th quarter D in Steeler history. Maybe our running game wasn't as bad as some want to admit??? Sure BA refused to run at times but looking around the league it's obvious plenty of OC's are running empty sets and passing on 3rd and 1.

I like the flexibility of our offense but I think the middle of our OL is the reason our run game looked bad at times. No push at all. I can't see how our running game won't improve with Pouncey and a new OL if Lefty has decent games.

While BA may need to call a few more screens and TE passes Ben has to commit to these guys earlier and let them run... too many times he dumps off in desperation. He was much better last year IMO.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

For sure we are weak in the center of our o-line. it's no surprise we were the number one running teams when we had Webster, Dawson and Hartings.

I believe a stud center makes everyone better. That goes for guards, tackles, rbs, fbs and qbs.

I hope Pouncey is groomed to be a center if he is capable. My question is this, " What do we lack the most or need the most, a replacement at guard or a replacement at center ? "

Let Pouncey have his chance at center. Ben isn't there to get killed by his lack of experience and he get killed most of the time anyway. With all the hype I've heard about Pouncey, he should at least be better than Mayhen right now and that skill quality of being better than Mayhen is probably equal with Hartwig.

Let the dude learn now so he can get it under his belt and start making the probowl in about two or three years.