Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce Arians faces a major challenge

Bruce Arians faces a major challenge

Posted by Mike Florio on May 15, 2010

The Steelers will be encountering a major mess this season, with a starting quarterback who'll be banished from the facility after training camp and the preseason and a collection of backups who'll vie for the short-term starting job.

The problem? There may not be enough first-team reps to go around to get Roethlisberger ready for his return and the replacements ready to replace him.

It'll all happen on the watch of an offensive coordinator who faced widespread criticism in 2009 for passing the ball too much. Bruce Arians now knows he needs to re-commit to the run, given the muddled quarterback situation and a passing game depleted by the trade of Santonio Holmes.

But the Steelers' opponents realize this, too, and they'll likely load up against the run, forcing Arians to do that which he's wired to do anyway.

It's a recipe for potential disaster, if Arians refuses to commit to the run and rely on the defense. With coach Mike Tomlin's background coming on the defensive side of the ball, it's not as if Tomlin can take over calling the plays.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... challenge/

Re: Bruce Arians faces a major challenge

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

The Steelers will be encountering a major mess this season, with a starting quarterback who'll be banished from the facility after training camp and the preseason and a collection of backups who'll vie for the short-term starting job.

The problem? There may not be enough first-team reps to go around to get Roethlisberger ready for his return and the replacements ready to replace him.

It'll all happen on the watch of an offensive coordinator who faced widespread criticism in 2009 for passing the ball too much. Bruce Arians now knows he needs to re-commit to the run, given the muddled quarterback situation and a passing game depleted by the trade of Santonio Holmes.

But the Steelers' opponents realize this, too, and they'll likely load up against the run, forcing Arians to do that which he's wired to do anyway.

It's a recipe for potential disaster, if Arians refuses to commit to the run and rely on the defense. With coach Mike Tomlin's background coming on the defensive side of the ball, it's not as if Tomlin can take over calling the plays.

Help me out here guys. I've never really paid attention to this guy until the Milledgville fiasco. But over the course of the past few months, all I've read from him about the Steelers is just vile negativity.

Why is this? Did a Steeler truck run over his grandmother? I know the easy answer is that this sells "headlines" more than writing less aggressive stuff. But he is so MUCH MORE negative than anyone else I've read, there has to be something else going on. Do I remember he's actually from the Pgh. sports beat?

What is his problem?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan

Help me out here guys. I've never really paid attention to this guy until the Milledgville fiasco. But over the course of the past few months, all I've read from him about the Steelers is just vile negativity.

Why is this? Did a Steeler truck run over his grandmother? I know the easy answer is that this sells "headlines" more than writing less aggressive stuff. But he is so MUCH MORE negative than anyone else I've read, there has to be something else going on. Do I remember he's actually from the Pgh. sports beat?

What is his problem?
    I've never read much of Florio. I get the impression from others that he does not like the Steelers. I think the offense will be fine. I am more concerned about special teams.

Why Bruce Arians Is the Pittsburgh Steelers' True Achilles' Heel

by David Law, Correspondent

RESULTS - AUTHOR POLL

If it was up to you, you would:

Fire Arians now.
    22.0%

Wait and see how this season turns out.
    24.7%

Have fired Arians long ago.
    53.3%

TOTAL VOTES: 713

The Steelersí defense should return to form with the return of cornerback Bryant McFadden and the healthy status of Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith. If the defense can play close to the level of their 2008 season, then opposing offenses have something to worry about.

The Steelersí offense is another matter.

Roethlisberger will miss at least the first four games, and possibly more. Star receiver Santonio Holmes was traded to the Jets after running afoul of the NFLís substance abuse policy.

But neither of those two developments represent as much of a handicap to the teamís offense as does the continued presence of Bruce Arians in the role of offensive coordinator.

Arians has orchestrated an offensive metamorphosis that has seen the Steelers evolve from a team that runs effectively to set up the pass into a team that thinks pass first and run second.

In so doing, Arians has changed the teamís identity.

Arians refuses to utilize a fullback in his offense, instead occasionally slipping in a backup tight end such as Sean McHugh or David Johnson. Any confusion about Ariansí feelings regarding fullbacks were clarified in this quote from him prior to last season: ďI don't have a fullback. There's no fullback in my offense, there's never going to be one.Ē

So the Steelers slowly graduated into a team that passes first and runs second. But in that process the Steelers seem to have lost the ability to turn to a power running game when needed.

Short-yardage conversions have become nail-biting time for Steeler fans who were accustomed to seeing Jerome Bettis power over the middle behind a crushing block by fullback Dan Kreider. Bettis and Kreider are gone now, and with them went some of the Steelersí swagger.

The Steelers have a competent running back in Rashard Mendenhall, but he is rarely given a sufficient number of carries to get into a complete rhythm. Too often he seems to have to deal with an opposing linebacker before he even reaches the line of scrimmage. Those spin moves that sometimes frustrate fans are too often out of necessity as he ad libs a move to beat a defender before he can even hit the hole.

So if Arians has moved Pittsburgh in the direction of a passing-oriented offense, he must have lots of trick plays in his repertoire, right? Unfortunately, no.

In fact, predictability has become a hallmark of this team.

Rarely do we see the option passes or gadget plays that former coach Bill Cowher so enjoyed unleashing on unsuspecting defenses. Not only that, but Arians seems adverse to incorporating misdirection plays or screen passes, both of which work against defenses salivating at the prospect of sacking Roethlisberger yet again.

When Roethlisberger was unable to start against the Baltimore Ravens last year in Week 12, backup Dennis Dixon was forced to take the start with very little practice time. Dixon is a remarkable athlete: a quick-footed, elusive runner with that ability to break containment and keep a defense guessing.

Unfortunately, Arians seemed committed to keeping Dixon in the pocket instead of employing roll-outs, and Arians had no answer for the defensive adjustments Baltimore made at halftime.

The loss in Baltimore seemed to sum up one of Arians' defining characteristics: his insistence on making players fit his system instead of adjusting his system to fit his players.

So an offensive line thatís better at run-blocking is forced to pass-block. A fragile quarterback who gets sacked more than 50 times a season? Keep dropping him back with little protection and hope for the best.

Does your offense feature a running back in Willie Parker whose strength is turning the corner or going off-tackle? Run him up the gut on first down and hope for the best. Got a QB like Dixon who needs to get outside the box to be most effective? Keep him inside the pocket and hope for the best.

Does anyone see a pattern here?

Ariansí stubbornness is putting the success of the franchise at risk. Yes, the Steelers have won the Super Bowl with Arians as OC, but they won despite Arians, not because of him.

They won thanks to a strong defense and a once-in-a-generation quarterback who frequently made things happen on broken plays. Roethlisberger always seems most effective running a hurry-up offense, where he calls the plays at the line of scrimmage instead of having them called in by Arians.

If the Steelers are my reality show, the first one that I am voting off the island is Bruce Arians.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3872 ... illes-heel

What is his problem?
    Florio is a WV Native much like myself. As such you either Love the Steelers or Hate them with all your guts, much like Pitt. Eat Sh!t Pitt. That being said, he is/was an avid Vikings fan growing up. Our Steelers beat the Vikings in a Super Bowl if you remember. Adding to his hatred.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Draft 2.0

1. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    2. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
    3. Kareem Martin, DE, UNC
    4. Donte Moncrief, WR, Mississippi
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    5b. Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami
    6a. Kevin Pierre-Louis, OLB, Boston College
    6b. Glen Stanley, OLB, Albany St
    7. Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin

So an offensive line thatís better at run-blocking is forced to pass-block. A fragile quarterback who gets sacked more than 50 times a season? Keep dropping him back with little protection and hope for the best.

Didn't he just say that Mendenhall has to spin move away from linebackers in his grill behind the line of scrimmage? I mean at least have some consistancy in the same article.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

Legend

Re-commit to the run? I don't think so... Bettis was a once in a lifetime RB and our OL was stellar. Mend had 1200 yards behind an average OL and with Pouncey and the new OL coach I see our run game improving immensely.

People act like Arians was working with Bettis and pro bowlers on the OL.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller

What is his problem?
    Florio is a WV Native much like myself. As such you either Love the Steelers or Hate them with all your guts, much like Pitt. Eat Sh!t Pitt. That being said, he is/was an avid Vikings fan growing up. Our Steelers beat the Vikings in a Super Bowl if you remember. Adding to his hatred.

there are a lot of people in WV that hate the steelers? i never knew that, but i have never been to WV so i have no idea about the area. i know very well of the backyard brawl which imo is the best rivalry in college football. i always thought most people in WV loved the steelers though. what other nfl teams do people like there the skins?

Pro Bowler
    Lakewood, Ohio: On the Stairway TO SEVEN!!!

Arians refuses to utilize a fullback in his offense, instead occasionally slipping in a backup tight end such as Sean McHugh or David Johnson. Any confusion about Ariansí feelings regarding fullbacks were clarified in this quote from him prior to last season: ďI don't have a fullback. There's no fullback in my offense, there's never going to be one.Ē
    Short-yardage conversions have become nail-biting time for Steeler fans who were accustomed to seeing Jerome Bettis power over the middle behind a crushing block by fullback Dan Kreider. Bettis and Kreider are gone now, and with them went some of the Steelersí swagger.
    Can anybody imagine Jerome Bettis working in BA's offense? Guy would've probably been lucky to gain a grand every year. Dan Kreider would've been a camp cut.

So if Arians has moved Pittsburgh in the direction of a passing-oriented offense, he must have lots of trick plays in his repertoire, right? Unfortunately, no.

In fact, predictability has become a hallmark of this team.

Rarely do we see the option passes or gadget plays that former coach Bill Cowher so enjoyed unleashing on unsuspecting defenses. Not only that, but Arians seems adverse to incorporating misdirection plays or screen passes, both of which work against defenses salivating at the prospect of sacking Roethlisberger yet again.
    This is why we lost easily winnable games against Chicago and Kansas City, among others.

The loss in Baltimore seemed to sum up one of Arians' defining characteristics: his insistence on making players fit his system instead of adjusting his system to fit his players.
    Look, few OCs have the luxury of having a complete set of players to fit their system. OTOH, you can't just have a stable of studs with their own agendas either. This is why BA will always be inadequate at running an offense.

Ariansí stubbornness is putting the success of the franchise at risk. Yes, the Steelers have won the Super Bowl with Arians as OC, but they won despite Arians, not because of him.
    You don't say. Really? I think most Steelers fans have been saying this since before SBXLIII.

If it was up to you, you would:

Fire Arians now.
    22.0%

Wait and see how this season turns out.
    24.7%

Have fired Arians long ago.
    53.3%

TOTAL VOTES: 713
    Why doesn't this surprise me? Of course, firing BA now doesn't not make sense if it hasn't already happened.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Legend

If Arians had Bettis? that's funny..... How many SB's did Bettis get us before Ben arrived?

A lot of fans hated taking the ball out of Ben's hands in the second half and wanted to go pass happy with Cowher.

Fans always want what they don't have. Before we wanted to air it out.. now they want smashmouth...

I'm glad we have no control over the football team because every year it would be polar opposites of the year before. Our FO realizes every year will not be a SB year and they don't jump the gun. Thank goodness.