Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger could return next week

Roethlisberger could return next week

Got it here http://pit.scout.com/2/969973.html

The focus soon will turn again to Ben Roethlisberger, who is expected to rejoin his teammates in OTA practices, perhaps even next week when they resume Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Roethlisberger completed his behavioral evaluation, and both he and the Steelers await word on when he can return to full participation with his teammates in offseason workouts.
    That decision will come from commissioner Roger Goodell once he and staff members review the evaluation results and subsequent recommendations of the professionals who performed them.

Once Goodell is satisfied with the evaluation, he can permit Roethlisberger to practice now and throughout training camp until he must begin serving his 4-6 game suspension at the beginning of the season.

The Steelers renew their practices after taking off since their minicamp ended May 2, a weekend in which Roethlisberger stayed at the NFL-assigned clinic for his evaluation. They conclude their spring practices June 10.

Roethlisberger is said to be working out and in good shape physically and mentally and that he wants to meet the challenge of rebuilding his reputation head-on.

Goodell used the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy to discipline the Steelers' two-time Super Bowl quarterback for incidents that occurred in Milledgeville, Ga., March 4-5. A 20-year-old woman accused Roethlisberger of sexually assault, but after a month investigating the allegations, Georgia prosecutors decided not to charge him with a crime.

Roethlisberger ran with the first team during their first OTA practices April 19-20. That was before Goodell announced a suspension. When he returns to practice, he likely will not be with the first team, maybe not even the second. Coach Mike Tomlin has said he will decide by the opening of training camp who will be his starting quarterback to open the season.

"In all likelihood, I won't say it, but the decision will be made," Tomlin said.

Byron Leftwich ran the first-team offense in the Steelers' three-day minicamp and Dennis Dixon ran with the second team. Charlie Batch was No. 3.

"We got a long process here for the rest of the offseason," said Tomlin, who has 12 OTA days remaining. "We're looking forward to watching those guys work and find rhythm with receivers and so forth, and just continuing to grow."

NOTES, QUOTES

* The Steelers placed wide receiver Limas Sweed on their injured reserve list after he cleared waivers. They signed another player to replace him on a roster that stands at 90. Sweed had surgery on his Achilles tendon after it was ruptured on the final day of the team's minicamp May 2.

They signed first-year WR Isaiah Williams, who signed with the Baltimore Ravens as an undrafted rookie from Maryland last year and was released before the season.

* Starting C Justin Hartwig should see more and more time as OTA practices resume. He had shoulder cleanup surgery after the season. He practiced at minicamp but did not participate in 11-on-11 drills. "It was a prescribed part of his process coming off of his surgery," coach Mike Tomlin said. "As the offseason continues to roll on, we will continue to just work him more and more, and get him up to speed. He's done a nice job with the rehabilitation. He's starting to get his weight back; he's really doing well."

* There will be an adjustment for the wide receivers to make as they switch back and forth between Ben Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich.

"It's different because they throw so much different," WR Mike Wallace said. "Ben's is just soft. Byron has a canon, he's letting it rip. It's different how their balls come out spinning."

"Regardless of the quarterback situation, I've caught balls from all of them so I feel comfortable with whoever's in the ballgame," said Hines Ward

QUOTE TO NOTE: "Ask me on the 18th. Matter of fact, just see if he's here or not." -- Coach Mike Tomlin on whether S Troy Polamalu will continue to work out with the team when OTAs continue Tuesday.

MEDICAL WATCH: WR Limas Sweed was placed on IR after having surgery May 3 to repair a ruptured Achilles tendon.

Re: Roethlisberger could return next week

I gotta say, I've kind of lost some enthusiasm for OTAs/the start of training camp this year. I mean, he's back till the season starts, then he's gone, then he's back. Like that isn't going to suck up the whole offense - receivers, blockers, even RBs. Uggh.

I think I'm more pissed at him now than I was back in March ...

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Steelers to resume practice minus Roethlisberger

Tuesday, May 18, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is not permitted to practice with the team.
    The Steelers resume spring practices today, apparently without Ben Roethlisberger again.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has not cleared Roethlisberger to rejoin his teammates in their workouts at the team's facility.

The quarterback, however, joined teammates Monday in a round of chilly, wet golf at Southpointe Golf Club in Washington County. Roethlisberger annually plays in the Merril Hoge-Max Starks-Hines Ward charity event, and Monday was no exception.

Roethlisberger has completed the behavioral evaluation required by Goodell as part of his discipline of the Steelers' quarterback that includes a six-game suspension to start the season. That suspension will be reduced to four games, the commissioner said, if Roethlisberger complies with the stipulations handed down by Goodell. One of those was the completion of the behavioral evaluation. Although completed, Roethlisberger could be asked to return for further evaluation or therapy at the recommendation of the professionals who evaluated him.

While the Steelers await his return at some point before they conclude their remaining 12 OTA practices June 10, competition to replace him to open the season resumes today.

Coach Mike Tomlin has said the spring practices mean little in terms of who will start at quarterback and that they mean everything.

Asked on the final day of minicamp May 3 when he will pick a quarterback, Tomlin said, "The purpose of the offseason is to instruct. Organized team activity days are just that. They're for teaching. I'm less concerned about evaluation. Some of the evaluation-oriented things of course can't take place in shorts."

But last week, he was quoted on the Steelers' website that, indeed, he will know his starting quarterback when they open camp.

"In all likelihood, I won't say it, but the decision will be made," Tomlin said.

The only way to base that decision would be from spring OTAs, so this is one evaluation that will be made when the players are in shorts.

Byron Leftwich ran with the first team in minicamp after Roethlisberger ran the first team in the first OTA practices April 19-20 -- before he was suspended and banned from the team facility until further notice. Dennis Dixon ran with the second team and Charlie Batch was third.

Tomlin said all three would get their chances to run the first unit.

"The other guys will be given opportunities, no question," Tomlin said.

The Steelers will practice every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from now until June 10.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10138...#ixzz0oGIGAD65

Pro Bowler
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio (Where the standard of expectation does not change)!!!

Roethlisberger is said to be working out and in good shape physically and mentally and that he wants to meet the challenge of rebuilding his reputation head-on.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    I agree, let us hope that he emerges as a better player and person.

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    I hope he can turn this around, and I plan to be the biggest supporter of the efforts. Not that it matters, but I don't want to jump on the PC bandwagon of man-bashing. I prefer to bash the overtly biased Commish and the drunk underaged lush who kept changing her story.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    I hope he can turn this around, and I plan to be the biggest supporter of the efforts. Not that it matters, but I don't want to jump on the PC bandwagon of man-bashing. I prefer to bash the overtly biased Commish and the drunk underaged lush who kept changing her story.

I'm with you on this one, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    Quote Originally Posted by Djfan

I'm with you on this one, man.
    I'm not going to bash the girl but I will join you in throwing burning bags of dog sh!t at the hypocrite who is the Commissioner of the NFL. I wasn't a fan of his before and now I cringe everytime I see him on TV with that smirk on his face.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Those that would bash the Comish need to bash the Rooney's too.

They asked for the suspension to come from the league so that it could be more than the max 4 games the team could give.

I don't understand that hatred for the commish, when it is Ben who was the idiot. Just throwing the blame at a dart board and whoever it hits you hate? Interesting.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Draft 2.0

1. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    2. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
    3. Kareem Martin, DE, UNC
    4. Donte Moncrief, WR, Mississippi
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    5b. Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami
    6a. Kevin Pierre-Louis, OLB, Boston College
    6b. Glen Stanley, OLB, Albany St
    7. Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin