Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: did anyone else see..

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Annapolis (not baltimore)
    Posts
    1,692

    did anyone else see..

    Jeff Reed in the crowed last night at the Pens game. They kept showing this group of Hab fans and sitting in front of them was Jeff Reed and he was between some big guy and big woman. It looked like he was in nose bleed section too. I like seeing stuff like that, it is cool to see a Steeler really get into another hometown team sport and just go to a game.
    On a side note, I am angry with how the performance went last night, montreal wanted it more than the guins did, fleury let in 2 soft goals and kunitz and gonchar played horrendous. It was a total team effort and I was not really that surprised, I had a feeeling they would lose in game 6, and after game 6 I did not think we would win game 7 either, we have been spoiled for the better part of 3 years, but this year we were inconsistant all year and lost to a better team, we need to get some wingers who can play with the likes of crosby and malkin, kunitz, dupuis and guerin are nice but all of them can not be on the top 2lines...OH and it would also help to SHOOT THE F'in PUCK!!

  2. #2
    Pro Bowler D Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,369

    Re: did anyone else see..

    Too much dangle in some of these player's games.

    It doesn't always have to be a pretty shot, or the perfect pass. Example: 75% of Montreal's goals this series.

    I really noticed Malkin trying to take the puck and skate til he found something open. Just fire it on net.


    Other problems I saw: On the rare occasion that someone is actually in position to take a centering pass, the pass sucks. Why does these guys not post anyone up in front of the net?

    This leads directly into the next thing that bugged me...Rebounds. They were there all series. The Penguins were not. And when a player was there he had his back to the net and wasn't in position to score on the rebound.

    I think these things just stood out to me now because that is how the Canadiens play their game, but it obviously works. Why can't the Penguins just keep it simple and do those things...they have more skill, so they should be able to score more doing it.


    AND ELEVATE THE FREAKING PUCK!

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Annapolis (not baltimore)
    Posts
    1,692

    Re: did anyone else see..

    Quote Originally Posted by D Rock
    Too much dangle in some of these player's games.

    It doesn't always have to be a pretty shot, or the perfect pass. Example: 75% of Montreal's goals this series.

    I really noticed Malkin trying to take the puck and skate til he found something open. Just fire it on net.


    Other problems I saw: On the rare occasion that someone is actually in position to take a centering pass, the pass sucks. Why does these guys not post anyone up in front of the net?

    This leads directly into the next thing that bugged me...Rebounds. They were there all series. The Penguins were not. And when a player was there he had his back to the net and wasn't in position to score on the rebound.

    I think these things just stood out to me now because that is how the Canadiens play their game, but it obviously works. Why can't the Penguins just keep it simple and do those things...they have more skill, so they should be able to score more doing it.


    AND ELEVATE THE FREAKING PUCK!
    That is why the Ponikarovsky trade is even more upseting, we got him because he is a big guy to get to the net and get "garbage goals", he did not do that ofr us, Bill Garon does, and Stall does, along with our fourth line, but they seem to do it during power plays or desperation, like you said, the canadiens did it the whole series, which is why they dominated 5 on 5 play. I hate not having guys in front of the net, no traffic and no rebounds equals no series win. The centering passes too, my goodness not only were there bad passes but fanned shots from point blank, and how many shots did we finally take where it was not even on net...

    One more thing I will gripe about, it seems with all the world class talent we should dominate the offensive end when we need to, but in games 4 and 6, when we had the net empty and we needed a goal, we did not even get it in our zone for the entire time, montreal on the other hand almost scored 2 goals in the last minute to tie it in game 5...

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,427

    Re: did anyone else see..

    There was alot of player drop off from last season all year, but last night was the boob game of the last 3 years including preseason. I think they came out hard, but were getting in each others way and in the same spot alot. They'd look at each other like what are you doing here.
    Montreal was calm and controlling, which they should not have been. I think the real obvious out of position play of the Pens last night unnerved Flower early. Just one of those bad days I guess.
    But I can see Crosby's line getting revamped entirely. Geurin likely to retire and Kunitz has not done it this year. We'll see what shakes out on the other lines. But status quo won't work likely. They had to do that after winning the cup, but its time to move on to the next round of guys.

  5. #5
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    22,011

    Re: did anyone else see..

    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    There was alot of player drop off from last season all year, but last night was the boob game of the last 3 years including preseason. I think they came out hard, but were getting in each others way and in the same spot alot. They'd look at each other like what are you doing here.
    Montreal was calm and controlling, which they should not have been. I think the real obvious out of position play of the Pens last night unnerved Flower early. Just one of those bad days I guess.
    But I can see Crosby's line getting revamped entirely. Geurin likely to retire and Kunitz has not done it this year. We'll see what shakes out on the other lines. But status quo won't work likely. They had to do that after winning the cup, but its time to move on to the next round of guys.
    And we may lose our Power Play QB in the off-season too. Is using Letang and Goligoski together on the Power Play enough to off-set the loss of Sarge? Is there enough room under the cap left to re-sign Gonch? Is Ben Lovejoy ready to come up and stick with the big boy blueliners?

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Annapolis (not baltimore)
    Posts
    1,692

    Re: did anyone else see..

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    There was alot of player drop off from last season all year, but last night was the boob game of the last 3 years including preseason. I think they came out hard, but were getting in each others way and in the same spot alot. They'd look at each other like what are you doing here.
    Montreal was calm and controlling, which they should not have been. I think the real obvious out of position play of the Pens last night unnerved Flower early. Just one of those bad days I guess.
    But I can see Crosby's line getting revamped entirely. Geurin likely to retire and Kunitz has not done it this year. We'll see what shakes out on the other lines. But status quo won't work likely. They had to do that after winning the cup, but its time to move on to the next round of guys.
    And we may lose our Power Play QB in the off-season too. Is using Letang and Goligoski together on the Power Play enough to off-set the loss of Sarge? Is there enough room under the cap left to re-sign Gonch? Is Ben Lovejoy ready to come up and stick with the big boy blueliners?

    they have enough where they could possibly bring him back, but I think they may persue a decent winger to play alongside Sid. Gonch was valuable but the last image I have of him is him letting a shorthanded canadien go right past him and score to put the game out of reach. He will get big money somewhere else and I wish him well, I dont think he will do a hometown discount, but like you said our PP will now struggle without him, as if they dont struggle enough at times...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •