our WR situation

Correct me if i'm wrong but right now i would say it looks like this:

1) Wallace
    2) Ward
    3) Randle-El

4) Sanders
    5) Battle
    6) ? Brown / bring in a FA

If Ward gets hurt, we probably move Randle-El into his spot and bring in a back up for the 3 spot. And if Randle-El gets hurt, we probably just move a back up into the 3 spot. The question is... What if Wallace gets hurt? Do we take a chance with Sanders in the 1 hole? Or ARE? I don't think Ward has the speed for that spot anymore? Do we need to bring in an experienced FA who could handle the 1 spot? Do we wait for such an injury then make a move or do it now or wait for training camp cuts? Someone help me out here...

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: our WR situation

People make too much over who is going to be a team's #1 WR, #2 WR, #3 WR, etc. Catches/yardage/TD's when all is said and done determine who a team's #1 WR was.

Look at the positions instead.

Wallace will play split end (X) lined up on the line of scrimmage, usually opposite of the TE, and furthest from the center on his side of the field.

Ward will play flanker (Z) lined up behind the line of scrimmage, usually on the same side as the TE, and furthest from the center on his side of the field.

Randle El will play slot (Y) who will play on the line of scrimmage if lined up inside of the flanker, or behind the line of scrimmage if lined up inside of the split end.

In the following illustration, that would be the split end (X) on the line of scrimmage to the far left (Wallace), then the slot receiver (Y) off the line of scrimmage between him and the left tackle (Randle El), with the flanker (Z) off the line of scrimmage on the TE's side of the field (Ward).

They will try to teach the rookies to play all 3 positions, but if I had to guess, I figure that Sanders will be the primary back-up at the X, Battle will be the primary back-up at the Z, and Brown will be the primary back-up at the Y.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Well done Ruthless. I guess i should've clarified that by "1" i meant "x". i don't care so much about ranking the WR's either, i'm more concerned about which positions they play. If Wallace goes down i don't see anyone but Sanders as being effective in the "x" spot.

In an interesting side note, this may be the first year we finally get our money's worth out of Spaeth. With Santonio gone and Wallace in his place i expect to see a lot of deep routes on the left side, drawing safety help over the top. If we line up 2 TE's, that should leave Spaeth matched up on a LB or the RCB (in zone coverage) which is a favorable matchup in either case, especially with his height and length.

This may be a blessing in disguise b/c is going to be forced to use the TE's and RB's in his passing game much more than in years past.

Legend

User Info Menu

Biggest challenge we have with the group of 6 WRs listed is that we only have one guy (Wallace) likely to be active on gameday who can get deep and he is now likely to see many more double coverages than he did last year when we had Holmes. That is going to be a major challenge for him

The rest of the WR corps are really a bunch of slot receivers. Not necessarily bad as long as whoever is the QB recognizes that and is willing to dink and dunk and hit hot reads and short patterns. With Holmes gone the opponents are going to double Wallace and put eight in the box to shut down the run and challenge us to beat them with one of the other WRs. That is going to be a challenge and Ben and whoever is at QB had better fall in love with TEs and RBs. This aspect of Ben's game really concerns me because he will hold the ball and wait for Wallace to get free of double coverage.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Great posts, thank you guys.

Yes, Ben will have to come back a different guy - early decision whether Wallace will or will not be open ten steps farther down the route.

I wonder if the coaching staff can give him "homework" to develop those skills while he is away.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Biggest challenge we have with the group of 6 WRs listed is that we only have one guy (Wallace) likely to be active on gameday who can get deep and he is now likely to see many more double coverages than he did last year when we had Holmes. That is going to be a major challenge for him

The rest of the WR corps are really a bunch of slot receivers. Not necessarily bad as long as whoever is the QB recognizes that and is willing to dink and dunk and hit hot reads and short patterns. With Holmes gone the opponents are going to double Wallace and put eight in the box to shut down the run and challenge us to beat them with one of the other WRs. That is going to be a challenge and Ben and whoever is at QB had better fall in love with TEs and RBs. This aspect of Ben's game really concerns me because he will hold the ball and wait for Wallace to get free of double coverage.
    Exactly. That is why I recommend trading for a FA WR who can play the 'x' slot. I understand they aren't cheap but we need one more receiver who can make plays deep down the field.

Ironically, Ben's strength is not hitting his WR's (in stride) deep down the field. His accuracy is with the curl routes and short slants. Most of his scrambling-type completions are WR's breaking their routes and coming back to the ball. This is the year he must take what he is given and become more of a Tom Brady-type QB. Between Miller, Spaeth, Ward, ARE, and Mendy out of the backfield, we have 5 sure handed guys he can dump it short to. There's no defense that can cover all of those guys, if Ben will just look to get the ball out quicker. And he'll have to.

Legend

User Info Menu

I wouldn't be shocked if they try out Battle in the slot and he beats out ARE.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Something about this thread seems familiar...
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledSteeler

Exactly. That is why I recommend trading for a FA WR who can play the 'x' slot. I understand they aren't cheap but we need one more receiver who can make plays deep down the field.

Ironically, Ben's strength is not hitting his WR's (in stride) deep down the field. His accuracy is with the curl routes and short slants. Most of his scrambling-type completions are WR's breaking their routes and coming back to the ball. This is the year he must take what he is given and become more of a Tom Brady-type QB. Between Miller, Spaeth, Ward, ARE, and Mendy out of the backfield, we have 5 sure handed guys he can dump it short to. There's no defense that can cover all of those guys, if Ben will just look to get the ball out quicker. And he'll have to.
    I'd be OK with that kind of trade if you could get talent at good value. That's pretty tough. This situation is further complicated by no one knowing what Hines will be able to deliver health wise. If the staff is confident that Wallace can learn the "x" and do well then you really need to be looking at another speed guy for the "z" flanker position who could spell Hines or fill in for Hines if injuries take their toll. Maybe Sanders can be that guy but it is pretty unrealistic to expect a rookie to have a seson like Wallace did last year.

I agree that we need to throw the ball to our TEs more often than we ever have to get the LBs and Safeties out of "the box" and to force them to turn and chase our TEs and RBs. I just not sure that Ben or Arians think that way.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

I don't think it will happen- (Dallas will want too much in return)

but

apparently Patrick Crayton wants out of Dallas.

In a heartbeat, is how quick I'd do that.