Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hope for the running game

Legend

Re: Hope for the running game

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Dwyer will be the "steal" of the 2010 draft. Better OL play will help if Pouncey can actually live up to the hype.
    Lets hope-

I'm really looking for Legursky @ Center w/ Pouncey at RG.

That would give the team the power in the middle - combined with a real FB- to use Dwyer & Mendy... and actually run the ball.

Which, unfortunately, may be very necessary due to the issue(s) at WR & QB.
    I would love to see Legursky break out this season as well. He is a monster. Hopefully Kugler doesn't come in and just go with who started last year for the most part, other than Pouncey who I think we all expect to start at either RG or C. I hope he starts the best 5 linemen at his disposal regardless of draft position or monetary commitment.

Regarding Mendenhall and our run game....I think he would do himself a world of favors by running instead of spinning.
    See the "broken tackle" stats at the beginning of this thread. His spinning is how he breaks tackles.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    Dwyer will be the "steal" of the 2010 draft. Better OL play will help if Pouncey can actually live up to the hype.
    Lets hope-

I'm really looking for Legursky @ Center w/ Pouncey at RG.

That would give the team the power in the middle - combined with a real FB- to use Dwyer & Mendy... and actually run the ball.

Which, unfortunately, may be very necessary due to the issue(s) at WR & QB.
    I would love to see Legursky break out this season as well. He is a monster. Hopefully Kugler doesn't come in and just go with who started last year for the most part, other than Pouncey who I think we all expect to start at either RG or C. I hope he starts the best 5 linemen at his disposal regardless of draft position or monetary commitment.

Regarding Mendenhall and our run game....I think he would do himself a world of favors by running instead of spinning.
    See the "broken tackle" stats at the beginning of this thread. His spinning is how he breaks tackles.
    This is where stats can be misleading. Does spinning and breaking one tackle only to lose all momentum and gain one or two extra yards before getting swallowed up by pursuing defenders mean that is better than not spinning, keeping your momentum and your eyes on the field so you can stiff arm or juke one player and possibly pick up many more yards?

Don't get me wrong, the spin move can be a great weapon, as someone else mentioned, in the open field, but when you spin to break a tackle on the interior you lose all momentum and become an easy target. Thats why you don't see RB's league wide spinning every run. He will learn.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

Nice stat and honestly I'm not surprised. What does surprise me are the people that did actually watch all 16 games and didn't see the broken tackles. Either way Mendenhall spinning broke him free on more than one occasion. He only uses it when it's necessary or at least when he thinks he can do it and get away with it to get the extra yards. He's a strong kid and that spin is equally strong. He can spin his all the way down the field as long as he's hauling down somewhere in the range of 1600-1800 yards this season and double digit TD's. He would have done that last season had he been given carries in the first 4 games.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII
    I dunno about you all, but I really really hope that we the Steelers actually recommit to the running game. All the factors are there. A new stud G or C, no superstar QB to start the season, etc.

Anyway, who knows what they'll actually do, but this stat made me excited:

Top 10 RBs in Broken Tackles (from footballoutsiders.com, via Peter King)

1. Chris Johnson, Tennessee, 61
    2. Ray Rice, Baltimore, 57
    3. Adrian Peterson, Minnesota, 56.
    4. Maurice Jones-Drew, Jacksonville, 52
    5. Steven Jackson, St. Louis, 50
    6. Jonathan Stewart, Carolina, 46
    7. DeAngelo Williams, Carolina, 40
    7. Rashard Mendenhall, Pittsburgh, 40
    9. Fred Jackson, Buffalo, 35
    10. Knowshon Moreno, Denver, 33

Mendy tied at #7? I would've NEVER thought that from last year.

-Russ
    It should be noted that the top 5 guys on that list that had 50 or more broken tackles also had many more touches (carries + receptions) than Mendenhall last year. Johnson had 408, Rice 332, Peterson 357, Jones-Drew 365, and Jackson 375.

Mendenhall and the two Carolina RB's had 40 or more broken tackles without touching the ball nearly as much (Stewart 239, Williams 245, Mendenhall 267).

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by RussBII
    I dunno about you all, but I really really hope that we the Steelers actually recommit to the running game. All the factors are there. A new stud G or C, no superstar QB to start the season, etc.

Anyway, who knows what they'll actually do, but this stat made me excited:

Top 10 RBs in Broken Tackles (from footballoutsiders.com, via Peter King)

1. Chris Johnson, Tennessee, 61
    2. Ray Rice, Baltimore, 57
    3. Adrian Peterson, Minnesota, 56.
    4. Maurice Jones-Drew, Jacksonville, 52
    5. Steven Jackson, St. Louis, 50
    6. Jonathan Stewart, Carolina, 46
    7. DeAngelo Williams, Carolina, 40
    7. Rashard Mendenhall, Pittsburgh, 40
    9. Fred Jackson, Buffalo, 35
    10. Knowshon Moreno, Denver, 33

Mendy tied at #7? I would've NEVER thought that from last year.

-Russ
    It should be noted that the top 5 guys on that list that had 50 or more broken tackles also had many more touches (carries + receptions) than Mendenhall last year. Johnson had 408, Rice 332, Peterson 357, Jones-Drew 365, and Jackson 375.

Mendenhall and the two Carolina RB's had 40 or more broken tackles without touching the ball nearly as much (Stewart 239, Williams 245, Mendenhall 267).
    I'm hoping the coaches for the top 5 run those players until the wheels fall off. :P

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll