Thread: Moderator(s)?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Moderator(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    Dude's not a troll ... quite yet. But he is a hater.

teeceemadison reborn?
    kaopectate with a new schtick?

:P
    Who is cruzer referring to?

Pappy

HeHateMe

See, I understand the mods issues with this sort of thing. The guy is obviously here to troll. His posts are merely for his entertainment and not ours. But, he hasn't broken any rules. When you don't have specific rules for banning criteria you have people making subjective calls. When I was a mod here that didn't go over so well...people complained about that as well. You can't have it both ways. You either have a situation where members feel others are being banned inappropriately or are allowed to stay despite their trolling.

i'm a big believer in the "greater good" theory...why should one troll be allowed to ruin it for everybody else?
    Don't let him. Just skip over his posts. He is just looking for people to respond to him and even have threads started about him like this one. I would suggest the mods remove this thread. If we ignore him he will go away.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    Dude's not a troll ... quite yet. But he is a hater.

teeceemadison reborn?
    kaopectate with a new schtick?

:P
    Who is cruzer referring to?

Pappy

HeHateMe

See, I understand the mods issues with this sort of thing. The guy is obviously here to troll. His posts are merely for his entertainment and not ours. But, he hasn't broken any rules. When you don't have specific rules for banning criteria you have people making subjective calls. When I was a mod here that didn't go over so well...people complained about that as well. You can't have it both ways. You either have a situation where members feel others are being banned inappropriately or are allowed to stay despite their trolling.

i'm a big believer in the "greater good" theory...why should one troll be allowed to ruin it for everybody else?
    Because we don't make the rules here. When I was a mod...I was given the ability to ban based on what I believed to be the greater good of the board...ie people who had proven themselves to troll at the Trib, people who made habits of attacking other posters, those here who were only here to create an air of discontent etc.

The problem? You had one guy...me...making those decisions as John was more involved in the tech side. They were based on my judgement. Members were not included in those decisions. Therefore, when someone was banned...they had no way of appealing that decision. Some felt that certain members were banned unfairly and those members were not given a voice. No matter how I seen it...I think they were right.

I think these kinds of forums work best when you have specific rules for banning...but I would include one...where if a member receives 5 nominations for banning it goes before the community for a vote...infractions listed...and the member given a voice to defend himself. This gives you the greater good that you speak about.

Since that doesn't exist...I use the friend or foe function. If I don't want to read a trolls comments I don't have to.

And for the record, I think the mods here do a terrific job of moderating, keeping the forum organized, and having an even hand. I have no issues with how this place is run.
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

And for the record, I think the mods here do a terrific job of moderating, keeping the forum organized, and having an even hand. I have no issues with how this place is run.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Kiss my acs? What do I win?
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

and one more for good measure ..

Legend

User Info Menu

No, I was simply calling you (and your fellow unabashed moderator praisers) a kiss @$$.

I wasn't inviting your to kiss my @$$ any further. :P
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    No, I was simply calling you (and your fellow unabashed moderator praisers) a kiss @$$.

I wasn't inviting your to kiss my @$$ any further. :P
    Ahhh. Well then you get the rolley eyes for that one.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL

I imagine that acting as a moderator is much like running a fantasy football league, i.e., a thankless job that others are very willing to second guess.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

You forgot the photo depicting "shameless."